Shopping for a US legal Defender 110 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:01 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
I insure my series through hagerty, agreed value policy, pretty cheap for full coverage, they didnt require me to send a picture of it in the garage. Still waiting for them to mail me their quartley magazine, maybe im not special enough for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
egor
kody martin
1986 Land Rover 90

Registry
First I had to take the truck to the DMV for inspection. They extent of the inspection was to look at the VIN in the engine compartment. Once I had the inspecters signed paperwork, I took it to get the title agency. Once I had the title, I got my plates and got it registered.

Pretty sure it was the same process as any car, imported or not, from one state to another.

This was in Ohio.
Old December 6th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Definition of grey market

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
A 25 year old defender is not 'gray market' it's completely within all the regulations and laws.
grey market-any vehicle not imported by the manufacturers distribution chanels or agent thereof. The term grey market actually implies a legal import but has nothing to do with safety compliance,insurability etc, it simply denotes a vehicle's importation by some one other than the manufacturer.

Let the misinformation mongering cease.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
grey market-any vehicle not imported by the manufacturers distribution chanels or agent thereof. The term grey market actually implies a legal import but has nothing to do with safety compliance,insurability etc, it simply denotes a vehicle's importation by some one other than the manufacturer.

I did suggest that
http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...2&postcount=17
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 6th, 2012, 10:55 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:

Are you sure Doug? Leastonce sure does sound like the expert on all things legal when it come to Defenders and you just import them for a living...

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by egor View Post
First I had to take the truck to the DMV for inspection. They extent of the inspection was to look at the VIN in the engine compartment. Once I had the inspecters signed paperwork, I took it to get the title agency. Once I had the title, I got my plates and got it registered.
Same thing here in Georgia. Made me think a VIN swap would be a piece of cake...

I had an issue initially w/my insurance because the VIN didn't pop up in their database but once the manually added it it was fine. Insurance through Cincinnati Insurance (yea, I had never heard of it either, but real cheap)
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Are you sure Doug? Leastonce sure does sound like the expert on all things legal when it come to Defenders and you just import them for a living...

Yeah Dave I'm sure. Been dealing with/driving/insuring my personal grey market imports since the 80's. Started out with high end BMW's that weren't offered in the US. Back then the grey market cars were desired more by the enthusiasts than the US spec ones as they had higher compression engines, better profile cams, aesthetically pleasing lines/lights, svelt chrome bumpers as compared to the US 5mph "rubber baby bumpers" etc.

I guess things haven't changed that much. The "enthusiasts" here want turbo diesels only sold everywhere but here. The mall driving suburbanite crowd are content with V8's.

My infatuation started with eurospec 7 series that were faster than my friends US spec 911's. Back then a US citizen could take a one time epa exemption and import anything you wanted and not have to make it meet US emissions as long as you brought it up to the then US Dot standards. The original 745i Executive was an incredible vehcile http://www.mcsmk8.com/745/745.htm . I had three of them all modified similarly to the one linked. Been playing in this sandbox for 30yrs.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:19 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yeah Dave I'm sure. Been dealing with/driving grey market imports since the 80's. Started out with high end BMW's that weren't offered in the US. Back then the grey market cars were desired more by the enthusiasts than the US spec ones as they had higher compression engines, better profile cams, aesthetically pleasing lines/lights, svelt chrome bumpers as compared to the US 5mph "rubber baby bumpers" etc.
I had eurospec 7 series that were faster than my friends US spec 911's. Back then a US citizen could take a one time epa exemption and import anything you wanted and not have to make it meet US emissions as long as you brought it up to the then US Dot standards. Been playing in this sandbox for 30yrs.
I think Dave was being sarcastic
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:20 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
State Farm was happy to insure my grey market 110. They did want a copy of CBP Form 7501 to prove that it was imported legally, but otherwise no issues whatsoever.

I think this underscores the importance of making sure you get a CBP Form 7501 and hang onto it if you buy a grey market vehicle.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:24 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn_Guinto View Post
I just recently went through this, if you search for "insurance", you'll find a few threads about the subject. I personally insured it through Hagerty since my regular cars are insured with Allstate and they don't insure gray market cars anymore. I just needed to prove to Hagerty that I have other regular daily drivers. I also had to send them a picture of the 110 inside a garage. I have it insured at $25k agreed value.
Unless their policy has changed, Hagerty's insurance doesn't cover off-road use.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
Unless their policy has changed, Hagerty's insurance doesn't cover off-road use.
Honestly I think any insurance company probably won't cover off-road use...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

I know you know what you are talking about, you imported my 90 for me and did a great job

Just feeling snarky today and trying to point out that people should be listening to someone like Doug that knows what they are talking about and the peanut gallery that has no idea (or thinks they know everything) should just keep quite rather than confuse the issue.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:30 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Honestly I think any insurance company probably won't cover off-road use...
Sure they do. Some will exclude competitions, but that's about it.

As for Hagerty, when I described my usage of my LRs (occasional commuting, trips to Home Depot, camping, etc) they had no interest in insuring me. Their business model doesn't involve insuring vehicles that are used like an ordinary car.
Old December 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post

Just feeling snarky today and trying to point out that people should be listening to someone like Doug that knows what they are talking about and the peanut gallery that has no idea (or thinks they know everything)
Me too. I knew exactly what you were putting down Dave.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:44 AM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
Sure they do. Some will exclude competitions, but that's about it.

As for Hagerty, when I described my usage of my LRs (occasional commuting, trips to Home Depot, camping, etc) they had no interest in insuring me. Their business model doesn't involve insuring vehicles that are used like an ordinary car.
That mirrors my experience. I've used Hagerty in the past, but that was for an old sports car that was rarely driven; exactly what they want to insure.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatblanket View Post
State Farm was happy to insure my grey market 110. They did want a copy of CBP Form 7501 to prove that it was imported legally, but otherwise no issues whatsoever.

I think this underscores the importance of making sure you get a CBP Form 7501 and hang onto it if you buy a grey market vehicle.
Same here, with three ROW trucks. Also needed VIN verification in the form of a vin plate photo. Just make certain that there is an agreed value at the outset of the policy. Receipts, photos, and in some cases an independent estimate is a good idea if there is a big discrepancy between the import value and the fully restored value.
Old December 6th, 2012, 12:20 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Dear gomotomoto: Buy the truck Clay told you about. Even if you hate it you can sell it for what you paid, or more. I think though, that you will like it very very much. I would buy it myself but cannot have another vehicle in my life right now.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
andy110
Andy Bard
1986 110 CSW

Registry
If you want a low cost Defender prepare to have to do a lot of work on it. That is fine if you are like me and enjoy doing it. I paid just under $5000 for my 110 CSW when I found it in the UK, came with ex-MOD low mileage 300TDI running gear. But, I am in the process of going through the front and rear axles, brakes, and sorting out some body and wiring issues. Generally, the less you pay, the more issues you can expect. And when dealing with UK vehicles there definition of "good condition" is not even close to ours. So have them be VERY specific when describing condition! The first 110 I brought over was described as good condition with very little rust. The bulkhead had fist size holes in it and the chassis was toast!
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:23 PM
gomotomoto
adam
None

Yeah, I kind of want a runner that I can maybe address (existing) things at my leisure. Obviously, I won't be able to leisurely address major items -- but I'd like to buy one from someone who's really put alot of energy into already, so I'm not buying a box of rotten surprises. Going in with eyes wide open, but would like to eliminate as much hassle as I can afford.
Old December 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
Yeah, I kind of want a runner that I can maybe address (existing) things at my leisure. Obviously, I won't be able to leisurely address major items -- but I'd like to buy one from someone who's really put alot of energy into already, so I'm not buying a box of rotten surprises. Going in with eyes wide open, but would like to eliminate as much hassle as I can afford.
My understanding is that what you've described is a "Jeep".
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, defender, defender 110