Shopping Diesel - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Shopping Diesel

I've got a 1995 Classic 3.9 which is running on its last leg, so recently, I have been doing as much research as I can on what diesel conversions are possible. I don't want to do a rover diesel due to availability and lack of power. I want to go with an American diesel because of the power. So lets say that I match a 6.5 Chevy turbodiesel with a Chevy transmission. Would the LT230 transfer case be able to deal with this kind of power? What other issues might come from this conversion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You don't have an LT230 unless you swapped it in for the borg warner in your 1995 classic. Either will handle a 6.5 chevy, but the LT230 is better.

The 6.5 chevy conversions I have seen don't look too good. I would go with a 300Tdi.

Ron
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The transfer case is fine. The axles will need proper upgrades or they will go boom. Everything else is like any engine swap...

- engine mounts
- tunnel clearance.
- engine clearance to everything.
- proper cooling system
- front suspension to take the extra weight

It is an involved job. Easy enough for some, a lot of work for others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

yeah, pendy put a LT230 in my classic when my u-joint blew and took out my tranny. I have seen one on youtube with a yellow defender and it seemed really good. I know putting a rover diesel in my rover would make sense but I just don't like how small they are and how they have no get up and go. my 3.9 is already slow enough with 35's. I don't want a speed demon but I don't want something that's gonna get really frustrating when someone on a bicycle passes me. i've just heard the 300tdi's are real slow.
here's the link for the defender i saw witht the 6.5
Old March 4th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Lucasd2002
David Lucas
[VACANT]

I was just talking to a guy at work this morning who has a 1987 RRC with LT230 and the original 3.5L motor. He was talking about possibly looking into a diesel. I suggested 300tdi or PS2.8.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Why don't you just Pendy?
Pendy=expert
I'm sure you will get some good info that way.
Old March 4th, 2010, 03:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you know and are local to Pendy, go see Pendy and get off the internet.... Go drive a 300TDI that he has tuned first. It should be much quicker than your tired V8.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 conversion. But it is a lot more work and money in the end.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:40 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Pendy is 150 miles away from me. so it's not that often I get a chance to go down there. it costs like 100 bucks two ways to go down there in my rover. I'll PM him and try to find a friend with a fuel efficient car to go down there.
Old March 4th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

I like my 300Tdi, but if I were looking, I think I'd look real hard at 4bt.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
My vote would be 4bt as well. Find the delivery truck, rebuild it, bam. Parts availability and a no-brainer.
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
I don't think a Tdi has no get up and go.
I mean I don't feel any difference with the 3.9 on the 90 ( and the 110 is heavier )
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:21 PM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

I've been googling 4bt since Chaucer mentioned it. Seems to be a very popular diesel conversion for jeeps and many other off-roaders. i'll ask pendy about those too. he has a cummins diesel dodge ram he's towed my rover on many times. Hopefully I can test drive a 300tdi soon and stop relying on what i've heard and go on what i've experienced.
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Take a look at the Isuzu 4BD1T, stock in Aus. Love mine.
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:02 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer View Post
I like my 300Tdi, but if I were looking, I think I'd look real hard at 4bt.

same here
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
Pendy is 150 miles away from me. so it's not that often I get a chance to go down there. it costs like 100 bucks two ways to go down there in my rover. I'll PM him and try to find a friend with a fuel efficient car to go down there.
Dude, you want a diesel swap and you're worried about $200? The costs will be neverending with that. Not speaking from experience, but why not just do a 4.6 swap. That youtube video was LOUD. I know my wife would sure as shit not ride in that thing
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:52 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Chris,
Last I heard, Kermit here in KC still had a Classic with a 300TDI. You could also check with Kyle Caskey for more local intel on rover diesel swaps.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RngRovaClassic View Post
I've been googling 4bt since Chaucer mentioned it. Seems to be a very popular diesel conversion for jeeps and many other off-roaders. i'll ask pendy about those too. he has a cummins diesel dodge ram he's towed my rover on many times. Hopefully I can test drive a 300tdi soon and stop relying on what i've heard and go on what i've experienced.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:16 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger View Post
Dude, you want a diesel swap and you're worried about $200? The costs will be neverending with that. Not speaking from experience, but why not just do a 4.6 swap. That youtube video was LOUD. I know my wife would sure as shit not ride in that thing
would you spend 100 bucks to test drive a car? i wouldn't and thats why i wouldn't drive down to pendy in my rover just to test drive a land rover diesel.
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:13 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I'm not sure what the fascination with the 4bt is. Probably if you like a really loud, slow revving motor that will vibrate the snot out of everything......kind of like a 2.5na with sac. Don't expect the conversion or the resulting upgrades to be cheap.
A properly tuned 300 fast enough for normal people. I drive one or another every day and can't remember ever having difficulty keeping up or passing that which I wanted to. Plus I can afford to drive the damn thing. Co$t of the motor etc has come down allot also

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:50 AM
RngRovaClassic
Chris Williams
1995 Classic

i talked to Pendy and he said that with the size tires i'm running (35's) that the 300tdi really wouldn't be that great for me. he said my best bet was a 4.0 or 4.6 would be good or to just wait a bit till he has a mercedes 5 cylinder diesel conversion set up.
Old March 6th, 2010, 07:16 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Pendy as always has a point.

However...as usual I can only partially agree. I run 35's or 37's on Stazworks beadlocks which are fawkin heavy. The rangie weighs 5200 lbs with me and all its junk in the trunk. 4:10 gears and 1:4 T-case, bigger intercooler, some good tuning and the thing goes fine, and will return mileage in the low 20's. It can be a little slow when driving in mountainous country but still keeps up with the crowd.

I'd suppose that everyones version of what "goes fine" is, and I am sure that the Pendy has a good finger on your pulse.

------ Follow up post added March 6th, 2010 07:22 AM ------

oh, and I did also convert to a 5spd which make the biggest difference. I have a '95 w/ an auto box 300 which is much slower.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel