Shocks - Nitrogen Pressure - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 13th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Jos Amorim
04 Defender 90 td5
Shocks - Nitrogen Pressure

I recently fited Bilstein 7100 with remote reservoir 10" travel shocks on all four corners of my Land Rover Defender 90" . They are valved 360/80 but im not sure what is the nitrogen pressure (i believe factory Standart).

Im very happy about the overall result, the front behaves perfect, but the back still "jumps" a bit, especially when Im driving fast

The shocks are new, so i dont want to open them for now and mess with oil and seals etc. etc...

My question is: can I solve my problem by changing something on the nitrogen pressure?

What can i expect by messing with the nitrogen pressure:
More pressure=stiffer shocks???
Less Pressure=softer shocks???

Hope you guys understand my English.

Thanks for the help,

Old July 14th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
YOu can increase you pressure in the back to 220 psi. and see if that helps at all. I don't think it will give you what you want though. I run 400/100 in the back of my 90 and there is no bouncing at all. Changing the valve stack is very easy to do. Take about 30 minutes. Bilstien sends you shims in the order they have to be installed so there is no guesswork. There is also a step by step guide on taking the shock apart on the website. FIrst try taking the pressure to 220 psi and see if it helps.
Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions