Shocks and springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2013, 08:40 PM
FLRover
Richard
None

Shocks and springs

I need to replace the shocks/springs on my truck. Concerned that I won't be able to get it all done at once. Any reason I can do it in 2 sessions? I'm assuming I need to do the front or back at the same time. Anything else? Replacing a tired suspension with a stock kit so no lift or anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:13 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

No problem unless you have rusted bolt problems. I would make sure I have extra bolts if needed. The front turret rings can also break bolts if they are old and rusty. I would also get some spring isolators while you are at it.
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Mike's points are spot on. Consider treating the setup with PB several times over the preceding days-hitting the locknuts on the top and bottom of the shocks, as well as the turret ring's too. Heat will be your friend, and potentially the ability to cut if you're not sweating salavaging the old shocks. Likewise if you source a set of turret rings (I think I've got a used set laying around, for example, if you need them just pm me and I'll throw them in the mail).

The front is the real PITA, the back is easy in comparison. So if you're looking at two sessions If you want to tackle the tough part, do the front first. Conversely if you want to warm up on something, knock out the back. No reason why you can't do it that way, in fact right now my truck is running bilsteins in the back and TF up front just b/c I haven't wanted to deal with the pain of taking the front apart in the cold.

Spring compressors (borrowed/rented/etc) are not necessarily necessary but can come in handy. Using the bottle jack to push the opposite side up a bit more than just letting it fall will come down also is nice to have on hand. Mind your brake lines up front.

A second set of hands, especially someone who has done it before, goes a long way.
r-
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Mike's points are spot on. Consider treating the setup with PB several times over the preceding days-hitting the locknuts on the top and bottom of the shocks, as well as the turret ring's too. Heat will be your friend, and potentially the ability to cut if you're not sweating salavaging the old shocks. Likewise if you source a set of turret rings (I think I've got a used set laying around, for example, if you need them just pm me and I'll throw them in the mail).

The front is the real PITA, the back is easy in comparison. So if you're looking at two sessions If you want to tackle the tough part, do the front first. Conversely if you want to warm up on something, knock out the back. No reason why you can't do it that way, in fact right now my truck is running bilsteins in the back and TF up front just b/c I haven't wanted to deal with the pain of taking the front apart in the cold.

Spring compressors (borrowed/rented/etc) are not necessarily necessary but can come in handy. Using the bottle jack to push the opposite side up a bit more than just letting it fall will come down also is nice to have on hand. Mind your brake lines up front.

A second set of hands, especially someone who has done it before, goes a long way.
r-
Ray
All good advice. If you have access to a crane (engine hoist) its a very simple process to lift the entire front end by the dumb irons relieving pressure on the suspension. Heat and penetrating oil - and there is no harm in trying to loosen the hardware by hand a day or two ahead. I say pull and clean/inspect the towers for rot/rust - rings and towers are easy enough to find (we have new galvanized and used on the shelf) and easy to ship.

Suspension is one of the easiest projects that yields immediate and noticeable improvements.

Have fun with it!
Old February 17th, 2013, 12:35 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Since you are doing the springs, I would leave the front shock towers alone (for fear of a snapped bolt) and pull the shocks out the bottom.

-Jeff
Unpossible without at least disconnecting the brake lines.

Just buy new shock rings and if you don't need them someone else will. I would also spring (pun intended) for tubular upper shock mounts. They won't rust and are much nicer.

Or, if you are really cheap, weld in bolts and grind off the heads if you break one or all eight.
Old February 18th, 2013, 10:36 AM
FLRover
Richard
None

I was looking online at EE and saw these rubber rings for the springs. I don't have those, I just have new springs and shocks. Are these something I need? Do I need new bolts or anything else? I really don't want to get into this and have to leave the truck on stands while I wait for parts. I can't imagine my neighbors would appreciate it.

My plan is to jack the truck up with a floor jack and use stands to hold it up. I only have two floor stands, a floor jack and a driveway.
Old March 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
So how did this go??? I am about to do mine and looking for advice...
Old March 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
scrubs
henery

me too
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:19 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandt View Post
So how did this go??? I am about to do mine and looking for advice...
Easiest thing to do on the truck... Almost easier than waiting for the glowplug light to go off before turning over the ignition.

Jack on the bumper, brace with jackstands, unbolt or cut the old shocks, remove, install new items, tighten, lower jacks.

Even easier if you have an engine hoist.
Old March 10th, 2013, 01:16 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

One other tidbit I dont think I read on this thread. If the rear is a little hard to get the spring out then loosen up the anti roll bar that will help with drooping the one side of the axle down.
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:36 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
those rubber rings help a little, worth doing. If you are replacing your suspension with stock components then it should be a breeze, you wont even need spring compressors. Did someone mention PB Blaster, it does help to have a small pipe wrench when you are removing the front shocks.
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:17 PM
Sandt
Sandt Michener
1984 Ninety

Registry
I have the front up with jack stands under the frame. The axel or control arm will need to be supported too, right? Won't the axel drop when the spring and shock is removed? I was thinking ratchet strap or bottle jack...
Old March 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
What I normally do is put the frame on jack stands, then do one side at a time, raising and lowering the axle with a floor jack. If using a bottle jack, you need to be extra careful. The axle needs to go up and down to get it all changed out, so a ratchet strap won't work, unless you use a spring compressor. The wheel staying on the ground on the other side improves safety a lot. Be careful not to overextend the brake lines.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:11 AM
FLRover
Richard
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandt View Post
I have the front up with jack stands under the frame. The axel or control arm will need to be supported too, right? Won't the axel drop when the spring and shock is removed? I was thinking ratchet strap or bottle jack...
Post photos of this as you do it.

Unfortunately I haven't had the chance to get started.
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

I do it the same way as Red90. Watch your brake lines. Use a floor jack to carefully lower one side at a time to remove the springs. If you find that you cannot get enough droop to remove the spring, I have in the past placed a bottle jack between the frame and axle to get a bit more seperation - again, within the limits of the brake line.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I will also say an impact gun helps a lot......

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 8th, 2014, 11:01 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Replaced Shocks Only

Used OME on my stock 1994 d90 along with the OME steering stabilizer. Read this thread & others & all went pretty easy except for clearing the bolts on the ring under ds the shock tower. Had to use a tire tool & large screw driver to squeeze em down unuf for the tower to clear the bolts & the same to put em back on. Almost risked damaging one of the bolts. Did I miss something in getting those bolts out of the way of getting the shock tower out? After doing the ds the ps went really quick but just wondering what I might've missed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions