Shocks and Spring Replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 25th, 2014, 10:22 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
Shocks and Spring Replacement

My truck is a 1987 D90, 2.5TD with the LT77 with about 125K miles. I have no idea if the shocks or springs have ever been replaced (I suspect not).

The truck seem to handle fine even when hitting bumps. There are however numerous squeaks when I rock it.

I am about to change the A-frame ball joint and was wondering if I should next change the shocks and springs or just the shocks?

Also which shocks/springs should I use?

I do not plan any significant off road activities and the only extra weight I will carry on occasion is a front mounted snow plow that weights about 200 pounds (Someone already told me using this vehicle for snow plowing is not advisable but I will only use this occasionally for my driveway.)

Should I buy the standard shocks or aftermarket? Same question for the springs if I should replace them and if so with which kind?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Your description does not make it sound like you have a need for new springs or shocks. You say you are happy with the handling. If you investigate and find that a shock is actually squeaking, then just get some stock replacements or some Monroes locally.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Do not start replacing suspension components unless it is broken or there is a need. The original bushings and such are a much higher quality than anything you can buy today.

I'm not sure why someone thinks it should not be used for plowing.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
The AA & RAC in Britian many moons ago use to have a fleet of Land Rovers fitted with plows, heck I have even seen a three point hitch on the back of a S2.

A snow plow with the break-away springs is the way to go encase you hit something hard,

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJCEE63(URhzdBO0PoyuPqw~~60_12.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	97590   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqVHJBUE63VVJTOcBO0Po0z8og~~60_12.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	97591  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 25th, 2014, 11:12 AM
richord
Richard Ordowich
1987/D90

Registry
I have a bush bar with a front hitch installed on my truck and installed a K2 plow:

http://k2plows.com/

When hook it up it drops the height of the truck about an inch.

I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac