Shocks and Bushings - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Shocks and Bushings

How can you tell if you need new shocks and or bushings? My 110 has Rancho shocks. They are probably 5 years old. They have some sort of knob on them (no clue). The truck for the most part drives well but if I go over a bump, I get a huge thud sound from the rear. It sounds suspension related. It is as far as I can tell not related to the rear door and the spare rattling.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:47 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
A simple to check is the nut on the a-frame to axle ball joint. When this isn't tight (or the bushing is worn out), you can get a big thud/bang from the rear end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
A simple to check is the nut on the a-frame to axle ball joint. When this isn't tight (or the bushing is worn out), you can get a big thud/bang from the rear end.
x2. Shocks are probably fine unless it continues to bounce after you hit a bump.
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Any pics of this so I know what to look for? Is this one bushing? easy to do?
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Is this one bushing? easy to do?
It is a ball joint and it is NOT easy to do.
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:59 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well I guess it easy to check if it is tight
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
If the cotter pin is still in the castellated nut then its probably tight enough, but I'd still take a pry-bar and see if you can get any play between the ball joint and the axle.

A question for the group would be "what is the best way to check the condition of the ball joint with the vehicle still on the ground?" I'm not sure my pry-bar method would work if the truck wasn't on a lift - I'm not sure.

Old March 30th, 2009, 04:13 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is the ball joint that weird looking thing that looks like a small shcok under the center rear of the truck?
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, the "small shock" is a Boge Hydromat (Nivomat?) self-leveling suspension system. The ball joint sits on top of the rear axle at the point where the "a-frame" or "wishbone" connects to it. This is a 90 chassis, but the ball joint looks the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ball Joint.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	18500  

Old March 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I am not in front of my truck right now but is it easy to get to this ball joint to see if it is tight? If it is and it needs a bushing is this the type of thing I should bring it in for?
Old March 30th, 2009, 09:25 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sounds like the shocks are the Rancho 9000... the know is anjustment that increases or decreases the firmness, either 0-5 or 0-9. I have them on my ST and love them. You can get an in-cab adjuster.

Old March 30th, 2009, 09:59 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I am not in front of my truck right now but is it easy to get to this ball joint to see if it is tight? If it is and it needs a bushing is this the type of thing I should bring it in for?
Stick a pry bar in there and see if it moves up and down. There is no tightening it. I can guaranty the castle nut has not come loose. There are aftermarket ones that have a slot in the top to adjust the slack out. If you are getting a "clunk" from the rear suspension and non of your bushings are shot and your frame is not cracked where the upper A-arm mounts, suspect the ball joint. They are a bitch to do. I only did one ones and it required me undoing the big nut with an air chisel and driving around to free the ball joint from its housing after loosening it.

Ron
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:16 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, the nut has not come loose, but its not unknown for them to not be tightened all the way.

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:26 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Yeah, the nut has not come loose, but its not unknown for them to not be tightened all the way.
Interesting and good to know. That I have not seen.

Ron
Old March 30th, 2009, 10:42 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I did it myself...

Lesson learned.

Old March 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I haven't had a chance to check yet. Hoping nothing is cracked or what not.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:25 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
I took my Defender in to the shop today (dealer) for the same ball joint issue-and to have the check engine light reset as it was giving me the ABS / Rough Road message- The service manager told me it was the transfer case making the loud noise-"must be a bad bearing". I said....uh, it only happens when I drive over bumps, ie. speed bumps, I really dont think this is the transfer case bro, its suspension related-ie. ball joint. The reply- "Yeah, sorry man. It will be $4000 shipped (remanufactured), plus two days labor".

I hate living in an apartment without a garage. Damn it.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

See if you can hook up with Ren Ching or Charles Galpin and plan a VA tech day at someones home or shop. The LR Dealerships are really part swappers these days, they are not true mechanics anymore.

Old June 16th, 2010, 09:01 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
Scott- Sad but true. Thanks for the info-

I got the same advice to look up one of those gents from another Rover "yoda" friend of mine.

The dealer sort of ticked me off because I knew the nobody ever test drove it- because if they had...they never would have said it was the t-case.

Of course, i do realize its still a business for them and having a truck sit around for lengthy diagnostics isnt making them as much money, so the service managers are pushed to get vehicles through.
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Fuck them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bushings