Shocks - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Shocks

I am sure this topic has been covered to death but I just found out I need shocks on my 90. Given that I drive 99.999999% of the time on the road, what should I get and if anyone is in Los Angeles where should I go?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Go to Expedition Exchange in Torrance, and get some OME's.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/ome/indexshocks.htm
Old July 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
The PO of my 90 ST installed Bilsteins on the truck and they ride REALLY nice. I didn't buy the hype about them, but now after riding on them, I do admit that they make it ride better. My other truck has OME's, but I would go with the Bilsteins over them. A little pricey though.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The Blisteins seem to be rated the best? Thoughts from anyone else?
Old July 14th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Bilsteins are way overpriced for what you get, but they are shiny. I would buy Fox or SAW. They are a better shock at a better price. E-mail vintageandhighperformance@hotmail.com and ask for pricing. He hooked me up with a great price on my replacement SAW's.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:22 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Remember, he's driving "99.999999% of the time on the road". There are probably as many people happy with OME as there are with Bilstein. It generally comes down to personal preference and price. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:33 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I'm actually real happy with the rancho 9000s
Old July 15th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Sakurada
Remember, he's driving "99.999999% of the time on the road". There are probably as many people happy with OME as there are with Bilstein. It generally comes down to personal preference and price. I don't think you'll go wrong either way.
I would still recommend what I did even if he never went offroad. The new fox and saws are both nickle plated for long life, completely rebuildable, easily tuned, and have no rubber bushings to wear out. Add that to higher quality internal components than the Bilstiens and lower price and it is a no brainer IMO. But, it all depends on what the budget is.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:10 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

...do they have a lifetime warranty? The Ranchos do and adjusted for the softest setting are very good on road. Plus, they're cheap. Just make sure you get them from an authorized shop.
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM
RyanS
Ryan
'93 NAS 110

Buck - I might agree if we were talking about coilovers or really high end shocks. But for basically stock replacements, I think the answer is different. Here's a little data from a quick search (you may find better/worse prices elsewhere):

Rancho S9000X, $55 ea, Shockwarehouse.com
Bilstein 5100, $70 ea, Shockwarehouse.com
OME Nitrocharger, $80 ea, Expedition Exchange
Fox 2.0 Pro Series, $140 ea, Offroad Warehouse
SAW (Sway-A-Way) - Couldn't find that they make a stock replacement
http://www.swayaway.com/

I have Bilstein 7100's on my 110 and 5100's on my Toyota truck, and I am satisfied with these shocks. But for a stock replacement, there are other choices as shown above. The only thing I'd recommend against are the high pressure gas shocks like KYB - they ride very stiff. BTW, the bling nickel plating on my 7100's is slowly disappearing. Not the best choice for a shock finish IMO.
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:17 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
I am sure this topic has been covered to death but I just found out I need shocks on my 90. Given that I drive 99.999999% of the time on the road, what should I get and if anyone is in Los Angeles where should I go?

Thanks
I used my D90 in LA as a daily driver. Started out with Rancho 9000s. I personally think they ride like shit. I switched over to the Fox 2.0. It cost, but they ride like a (relative) dream. I`d say it`s worth it. Plus, they are completely rebuildable.

If you do go talk to the guys in Torance at EE, take everything they say with a grain of salt. Nice guys (to me, at least), but they`ll bad mouth andything that isn`t OME.
Old July 15th, 2007, 07:16 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks I think I am going to go bilstein. Shockwarehouse is $27 cheaper a shock. My only question is on shockware house the rears are 253-M0 where as on the rovers north site it says 244. The numbers seem the same for the fronts.
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:46 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Thumbs up on the Bilsteins! I'd loved to try out the Fox 2.0, but I don't think they are a drop in replacement, are they?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf
Thanks I think I am going to go bilstein. Shockwarehouse is $27 cheaper a shock. My only question is on shockware house the rears are 253-M0 where as on the rovers north site it says 244. The numbers seem the same for the fronts.
Shockwarehouse is accurate! The part number for the rears from the Bilstein website is: F4-B46-0253-M0
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:47 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Barry,

A question like this will present you with as many different answers as there are shocks.

Do yourself a favor and test out a couple of rigs with different shocks. After all you are in CA and surely you can find two local guys to help out here?
Old July 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by artm
Barry,

A question like this will present you with as many different answers as there are shocks.

Do yourself a favor and test out a couple of rigs with different shocks. After all you are in CA and surely you can find two local guys to help out here?
Come on down! You can take the Hornet for a spin! But it might terrify you!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old July 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks everyone

I am pumped about my truck. I have had it since last thursday. I didn't really think I would have to put any money in it right away other than tires but all my shocks are weaping so t is what it is. Here is a pic of the rig for those interested
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:17 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

does anybody have the bilstien part numbers for a 110?

I have found the info on the EU site and there is two optsions the B4 series and the B6 series. Has anybody used them?
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:23 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Shock warehouse is still the cheapest. Just get them there.
Old February 9th, 2012, 10:25 AM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

shocks

Bilstein has different part # for a 110 b36-2243-hd and b46-0253mo-hd. They also make a standard duty set but on a 110 I think you would want these hd versions

I have them for $75 each + shipping
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

That's news to me. I thought the yellow bilsteins rn sold for 90s and 110s were the same

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions