Defender Source Forum banner

Shock Question/Opinion

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  little black duck 
#1 ·
I posted this same thread to the POR forum and didn't get the response I was looking for. I'm hoping this particular forum within the D-90 site is better suited. Admittedly my question has no correct answer - I'm just hoping to get some advice from people who may be in a similar situation as I'm in: I've got a 1995 Stock d90 that is a daily driver and I want to improve the on road drive but not sacrifice (and improve) my performance off-road. Here was my post:

###################

I've got a stock 1995 D90. It is pretty much a daily on-road driver. I take it off-road maybe once a year or so (having kids didn't exactly free up "fun" time for me!).

Finally I'm getting around to wanting to change the suspension. I plan on putting some RoverTym springs (2" lift) along with a new set of shocks as well as some spring isolators. As much as I hate to admit it, comfort and an optimal on-road ride is the most important element here. At the same time, I don't want to take it off-road and regret my purchase.

I do plan on putting 33" tires *someday* and also replacing the stock bumper with a winch-capable bumper sometime as well. With all those factors in mind I was thinking about the Rancho 9000X adjustable shock:

http://www.gorancho.com/products/shocks/RS9000X.stm

It seems like I'd want the ability to easily change the feel of the ride. I've had someone tell me that the "adjustable" shock is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else and I'd probably be best to get a gas-charged style shock like the old man emu's have. Another friend who off-roads a lot loves the Rancho's and thinks they would give me the best of both worlds.

Suggestions? Opinions?

Thanks in advance,

Hutch

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Ranchos and would not buy another shock that is not adjustable. YOu can dial in your ride. You can't beat them for the money. RYM has them at the best price also. Talk to Steve. Depending on your shock mounts you prob need 12"ers

#3 ·
I read your post over there & you are lucky you didn't get slammed..............
With that out of the way. I put bilsteins on my d1 @ 5k I have 85k now & they don't leak a bit & I think would suit your road use very well. I have had freinds use ome's & had to replace them as they started leaking.[ I have pounded my bils pretty good ]
If you go to dweb & do a search you will find more reading than you can imagine same here I suspect.

#4 ·
I`ve got the 9000`s and I am pretty happy with them on the road. I definately recommend the remote control thing, I don`t have it yet, but it is next on the list of things to piss away money on. Adjusting them is a PITA otherwise.

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for input - it's tough because I hear good and bad things about each of them. Actually the only ones I haven't hear a negative on are the Bilsteins (except price) but I'm going on have these a long time with the low milage I put on my truck so perhaps price isn't as critical.

I'm going to search/hunt around for some more info on dweb as well.

Regards,

Hutch

#8 ·
hutch said:
Thanks everyone for input - it's tough because I hear good and bad things about each of them. Actually the only ones I haven't hear a negative on are the Bilsteins (except price) but I'm going on have these a long time with the low milage I put on my truck so perhaps price isn't as critical.

I'm going to search/hunt around for some more info on dweb as well.

Regards,

Hutch
Happy to oblige. The bilsteins suck. :) Okay, not really, but they arn't good either. If you ever take them apart and take a FOX apart you will notice the difference in quality right away. Bilsteins charge way to much for what is really just a cheap shock.

Here's the truth. With what you want the car to do, it doesn't matter what shock you get. They will all take care of you. Some will last longer than others I am sure, but I would just get the cheapo's and not worrie about it.

#9 · (Edited)
Back in 93 I put a set of Rancho 9000s on my Wrangler. They really did ride a lot better, and the adjustment thing was not simply a gimmick. It truly helped when pulling a trailer (albeit a light one behind a Jeep). Given the heighth of these 4x4s, bending down to turn the knob really isn't that bad. I wouldn't do it everyday, but a car would be more difficult, though.

By the way, who is RYM? I did a google but no luck.

#10 ·
I have OME on all my trucks and love them. I do lots of desert washboard and have never had a problem. I have never used Bilsteins or however you spell it :confused . Anyway the last trip I went on 3 differant trucks blew out at least one of there Bilstiens over the coaurse of the weekend. A fireman I work with has them on his truck and likes them because he knows a guy near his house who rebuilds them for him :rolleyes . The previous post about OME shocks leaking is the first time I have ever heard of this happening but that doesn't say much. Just my $.02
I am sure there are some horror stories about OME but I just havn't heard any or I just choose not to :)

#12 ·
In my '94 D-90 soft top, I had Bilsteins up front (from the previous owner) and Rancho 9000's in the rear. I also had OME HD springs all around, as well as long travel shock tower replacements from Rockware and Rovertym drop cones. The bilsteins were tight on the highway and the ranchos provided lot's of legs in the back. It was a perfect setup for me and my truck was a daily driver as well. It also performed flawlessly at Tellico several times. It worked well.

#14 ·
I am also looking for replacement shock's, this time for a 2003 Td5 (not that the model makes that much difference).

I have had Koni's recomended to me by most of the locals and I was wondering what the differences really are. I had Koni's on a Disco a few years ago and they performed really well.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.