Shock & Tower Choice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:48 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Shock & Tower Choice

If I'm mounting the Koni Heavy Track SPX shocks shown here:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/8669.cfm

On my 110, do I want to order the standard height shock tower or the 2" lowered one? What are the implications of going with the 2" lowered tower? I'll be getting the tubular galvanized dual-shock towers so I can mount them outboard for easier maintenance/adjustment and to keep the interior for mounting Jounce Shocks at a later date.

Thanks, my chassis is almost ready to ship so I'm putting together my Paddocks order that'll be coming with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2009, 01:00 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Why would you order those when there are better and cheaper shocks available here? Also, I can almost guarantee you don't need jounce shocks if you don't know why people lower shock mounts. I don't mean to be harsh, as I know this isn't the place, but do some research.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:03 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I know WHY you lower them, what I don't have in front of me is the complete vehicle and I am more familiar with the D2 suspension at this point. I tried to phrase things in a generic way. I suppose what I should have said is should I expect any issues using the lower mounts? It's already been a long work week

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You'll need spring retainers and longer brake lines.

There is little point in the front of a stock Rover as the shocks do not limit articulation. The radius arms limit articulation.
Old May 12th, 2009, 03:45 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Red, I was planning on doing +2" Goodridge stainless lines as well as front and rear retainers just as a matter of fact in the build since I'm more or less building it into a new 200TDI 110 anyway It's more for expedition use though which is why I was thinking mount the front shocks outboard, easier to fix if something goes wrong and easier to adjust to tune.

If it is the radius arms limiting on the 1st gen Rover coilers, how do you get around that? On my D2 it's the shocks for sure. I'm bringing in a 90 or Lightweight half-ton later for offroading when I manage to get this on the road and my D2 sold.

Old May 12th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
If it is the radius arms limiting on the 1st gen Rover coilers, how do you get around that? On my D2 it's the shocks for sure. I'm bringing in a 90 or Lightweight half-ton later for offroading when I manage to get this on the road and my D2 sold.
3 link. Holey bushes. Pinned arm.

No it is the radius arms for sure....front and rear on a D2. This is a Defender forum and your profile says 110, so I assumed that is what we are discussing.
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I have to disagree with the radius arm comment. I realize that there are exceptions to every rule but I have stock radius arms and bushings on my 90 and they don't restrict the articulation at all. For my truck the Sway bars are limiting factor. I have 10 inch Bilstiens on the front and with the sway bar off (with stock radius arms) the spring will lower about 2.5 inches out of the perch at full articulation until the shock bottoms out. I have 2 inches of lift. I guess if you were running like 5 inches if lift with stock arms I could see where they would be the limiting factor.
Old May 15th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I have to disagree with the radius arm comment. I realize that there are exceptions to every rule but I have stock radius arms and bushings on my 90 and they don't restrict the articulation at all. For my truck the Sway bars are limiting factor. I have 10 inch Bilstiens on the front and with the sway bar off (with stock radius arms) the spring will lower about 2.5 inches out of the perch at full articulation until the shock bottoms out. I have 2 inches of lift. I guess if you were running like 5 inches if lift with stock arms I could see where they would be the limiting factor.
The radius arms are the limiting factor. I am willing to guess you didn't relocate your shock towers with the 2in lift. Radius arms do not bind at all during travel, just articulation. So if you lift your truck, and leave the shocks in the same location, you could bottom out on the shock. Your other side is just not going up as far.

Clear as mud?

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflash868
I don't think you understand what "articulation" means. Not droop, articulation. One wheel in full compression, one in full extension. The radius arms limit travel in articulation. The newer (post early 90s) radius arms are really bad this way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions