Shipping TO Europe - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
bennett
Bennett
'97 Defender 90 Soft Top #1140

Registry
Shipping TO Europe

I know lots of people post with questions about shipping FROM Europe, but does anyone know if an NAS D-90 can be shipped TO Europe and operated legally?

I am moving to France for 2 years, and don't want to give up my current truck. Im afraid my dad would like it a bit too much if i left it with him in the states. While i could easily sell it and buy one there (or even a 1986 D110, which would be legal to import by the time i leave), Id rather just keep the truck i have and (hopefully) save myself some hassle.

I used to have a suburban (complete with a 7-inch lift) in the baleric islands, but I was only there for 6 months and didn't even register it (still had cali tags). I guess no one would notice, but I want to keep out of trouble if possible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You are asking two different questions. Yes you can send a US spec car over. Registering it in France is a whole different question but shouldn't be a big issue. The main Ro/Ro ports in Europe are Bremerhaven and Southampton. Shipping to those is cheapest. You can put it in a container and ship it most anywhere.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 6th, 2008, 09:07 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Thanks doug. Im all set on how to ship it over (ive shipped two vehicles from cali to ibiza and back), just wondering if ill have similar restrictions registering an NAS90 there as i would a European vehicle in the US
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its actually not quite as bad going that way. I knew some guys that registered cars on German tags when it was for some reason inconvenient or impossible to get govt plates. One thing that sucked in Germany was a 10% import duty. I can't say anything useful about France.

Old November 7th, 2008, 01:49 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
For two years, I would not even consider bringing my truck with me. By the time you pay for shipping (both ways), go through the assle of de-NAS-ing your truck, removing any non-OEM/compliant upgrade you did (so you can register it there and drive it) and pay for gas (check out the cost of diesel or gasoline right now... ;-) ), you are better off buying a used truck there (that, as you said, you could then re-import on the way back).

In France, to register a car you have to get an inspection from the "DRIRE", read more about it, you will see that for non-collector vehicules, it's just a pain.

Anyway, if you are serious about bringing your car there (and no possibility of exemption for the registration), I'd recommend you go through a company to do this. They typically charge a flat fee. I have no idea how much we are talking about....

Follow-up Post:

Import duty: ~10% (+ 19.6% VAT if you bought your car less than 6 months ago); well.... might be 22% instead since the 90 might be a "utilitarian vehicule" with an engine larger than 2.5L.... Now... They don't know how much a D90 costs on this side of the pond! ;-)

A few interesting links:
http://www.americancarcity.fr/voitur...-americaine.us
http://www.importauto-usa.com/homolo...ericaines.html
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:38 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Just ship the cage and install it on the 90 of your choice on the other side.

Old November 7th, 2008, 02:33 PM
bennett
Bennett

Registry
Good thought Loic. Hadn't really thought about import duties. When i shipped my Supra TT it was about $3200, and now that i really think about it, ill probably just buy an old 110 that i can reimport once i repatriate.

Thanks again
Old November 7th, 2008, 07:00 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennett
Good thought Loic. Hadn't really thought about import duties. When i shipped my Supra TT it was about $3200, and now that i really think about it, ill probably just buy an old 110 that i can reimport once i repatriate.

Thanks again
Now we are talking.... Just to get you salivating:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/LAND-ROVER-COMMAN...1%7C240%3A1318
http://cgi.ebay.fr/LAND-ROVER-110-2-...1%7C240%3A1318
http://cgi.ebay.fr/vend-land-rover-c...1%7C240%3A1318
And if you want to keep your NAS feeling, that should be close (ok.... NA diesel will not give you the V8 feeling...):
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Land-Rover-90-die...1%7C240%3A1318
That one will likely make you stay in France for a few more years until you can bring it back here! ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.fr/land-rover-defend...1%7C240%3A1318
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
shipping