Shippers Broke Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:47 PM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Shippers Broke Defender

So, I shipped my 1989 CSW 110 on 18 July. It was to be from Baumholder Germany to Atlanta, Georgia via the new military contractor. She was supposed to be here no later than 8-September. At one point, they knew she was in Georgia, but didn't know where. Got an email yesterday she was ready to pick up, took the day off to run up from Ft Benning to get her. When I got there, the customer service guy tells me that the clutch doesn't work, when she starts, she is already moving. I get in and try to push the clutch; it is stuck solid!

Needless to say, they will be getting her fixed. Does any one know someone knowledgeable in 19J/LT77 repair in Atlanta? Otherwise, she'll be going to the dealership. This has been a shipment from Hell, but at least they found her. I had a friend that they still don't know where his car is yet, after 2months.

-dan
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2014, 08:50 PM
xplorUtah
Andrew P
1960 SII

Registry
Kind of sounds like a stuck clutch...but I am no expert. I think if you google it there will be instructions on how to "unstuck" the clutch. I would try this. I reread your post. Really not sure about the stuck clutch idea...but I would do some "googling" before I let the dealership play with your 110. In all likelihood they will have little idea what to do with it.

http://www.lrfaq.org/Series/Drivetrain.stuckclutch.html

- Drew
1997 D90 SW #2496

"Fear profits man nothing"

1997 D90 SW #2139 Portofino Sold
1995 D90 ST #2445 Beluga Black Sold
1995 RRC SWB Beluga Black Sold
1986 110 200TDI "1 of 1" Sold
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:01 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Call Luke Miles, The Shop in Norcross, ga 678-352-4900

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
K2atlanta
Kevin
1983/Defender110

Registry
2nd that! Call Luke!
Old October 2nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
A dealership is not going to know what to do with that unless they happen to have a guy there that is into old Defenders. Most dealership techs have never driven a Defender.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:07 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapplerdan View Post
So, I shipped my 1989 CSW 110 on 18 July. It was to be from Baumholder Germany to Atlanta, Georgia via the new military contractor. She was supposed to be here no later than 8-September. At one point, they knew she was in Georgia, but didn't know where. Got an email yesterday she was ready to pick up, took the day off to run up from Ft Benning to get her. When I got there, the customer service guy tells me that the clutch doesn't work, when she starts, she is already moving. I get in and try to push the clutch; it is stuck solid! Needless to say, they will be getting her fixed. Does any one know someone knowledgeable in 19J/LT77 repair in Atlanta? Otherwise, she'll be going to the dealership. This has been a shipment from Hell, but at least they found her. I had a friend that they still don't know where his car is yet, after 2months. -dan
Dave it ATL at urban; if he can't do the work I'm sure he can recommend someone in the area.
Old October 2nd, 2014, 10:18 PM
rwollschlager
Rob Wollschlager
72 SIII 88

Registry
make sure there is nothing wrong with the linkage and that you have adequate hydraulic pressure etc. Seems odd that a clutch plate would be frozen to the flywheel after sittings that short of time. If it is just a stuck plate, just drive it around a parking lot and work the pedal, that was enough to free my plate up after sitting for 28 years.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 12:22 AM
Scottyoh
Enigma RnR
'87 127"
D-90 Source Vendor

3rd for Luke. Awesome guy and very knowledgeable. Dave at ULC as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 01:37 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Could be clutch fork.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Dan: you don't want to take it to the dealership. They've never seen a 19j and haven't seen a LT77 since 1994.....
Clutch hydraulics are generally reliable. But locked clutch pedal doesn't dovetail into my experience with this type of clutch mechanism.
So I'm trending towards this being a mechanical linkage failure. Box might have to come out I'm afraid.
Check also with the Solaros crowd for good shops.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPT90 View Post
Dave it ATL at urban; if he can't do the work I'm sure he can recommend someone in the area.
This is what I'd recommend as well
Old October 4th, 2014, 10:56 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

I appreciate all the info, that's why I put it to the forum: experience and knowledge. I'll push for them to send her to ULC in Atlanta or Luke at Norcross. That way I know it is someone that knows what to do. I'll let you know how it goes.

dan
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions