Shifting Problems - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 16th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Big D
Daniel Brown

Shifting Problems

Last two days have had shifting problems. Very tuff to get it in gear. Have to almost force it into the next gear. If I sit on the clutch longer it eventually will find its way in easy but I feel like I am going to burn out the clutch this way. Any suggestions? Thanks for your time and advice?

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2006, 10:35 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
This just started happening? Does it get better as the truck warms up?
Check your tranny oil level! Put new ATF in there, if it doesn't get better then I guess your synchros are shot..? Im no expert by any means.

let us know..
~Steve
Old October 16th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Big D
Daniel Brown

just started to happen all of a sudden this weekend. Does not get better while driving it longer. The scary thing is turning a corner and down shifting. Cant get it back in gear sometimes and actually need to come to a complete stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I would be looking at the clutch hydraulics first to see if there is a leak that has allowed the fluid level to drop and air to get into the system. Has the pedal effort and engagement point changed?
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Big D
Daniel Brown

YES! Both have happened the clutch is way easier and the point is way further in.
Old October 16th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Top off the clutch master cylinder with brake fluid and see if the clutch will pump back up a bit by rapidly pumping the pedal. Then start looking for the leak. Check the pedal and floor mat for brake fluid leaking down and also get under the truck and look at the bellhousing drain and the rubber flex hose. At the higher mileages that our trucks are at, it's not a bad idea to replace or reseal both master & slave cylinder when one is leaking. All of the major players in the Rover parts game will be able to get the parts. FAQ and previous posts deal with replacement in-depth.
Old October 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Ah yes! Clutch, I didnt even think of that.. Yet Ive driven around with no clutch a few times : ) The slave is easy to do, the master is a bit more involved, you have to take more of your truck apart to replace the part.

Keep a bottle of fluid in your truck until you get it fixed!! This way you can top it off every day or however long it takes to run low.

~Steve
Old October 17th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Big D
Daniel Brown

clutch fluid is full but I think I have a crack in the hose near the cylinder. Not much of a leak but i think that the air and lack of pressure is not allow the fluid to move through. I can put into 3rd-5th but lower gears and non complient.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 11:11 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How long should a clutch last?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
problems