Shifting much better when cold. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Richard Ordowich
Shifting much better when cold.

I noticed that when I first start up my truck when is it cold, below 40F, shifting into second gear an higher gears is effortless. Once the truck heats up this effortless shifting goes away. I imagine it has to do with the oil being cold.

If that's the case, is there something I could do, like put in a different oil to make it shift this way even once heated up?

"Slow down and smell the diesel"
Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers
Is the oil/tranny fluid level correct?

Old November 23rd, 2014, 11:56 AM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
Doesnt Lucas make some oil thickener or something? You know that display with the gears and the crank handle that sits on your autoparts store counter. "Regular oil" vs "sticky oil"

not that I advocate putting that stuff in my gearbox, but who knows. There are also MTF specific additives.
"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."
Old November 23rd, 2014, 01:15 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Run MTF. I use redline MTL. If you are running straight ATF they shift fine cold, but are crap when hot. MTL the first few shifts when cold you need to take your time, but it saves the synchros. Also, shift slow. The LT77 and R380 are notorious for wearing out synchros from shifting like a car.

Lucas is great for worn LT230s, but not rover 5 speeds.
*not legal advice*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions