Defender Source Forum banner

shattered sliding window on d-90

Tags
90 d-90 window
2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  bjenk 
#1 ·
over the holidays someone desperate for spare change broke the front sliding window on my d-90. needless to say it hasn't been fun driving around in winter seattle weather with no window. i've since ordered the replacement glass and am now at a loss for how to install it. it looks like the inside rail needs to be removed by drilling out the rivets, which i've done, but it ain't coming off. i don't want to continue banging the hell out of it and cause damage that would require purchasing an entirely new window frame.

any advice on how to do this? i've been by a few glass shops in town an no one know's how to do it. not even my mechanic.

thanks for reading.

#2 ·
No hammer needed. Just take out the screws in the locking mechanism (two on the side of the lock. The middle screw is just a stopper. Remove the lock. Then the window frame will slide out and down. I am going on memory with out looking at it. FYI... If you are missing any of the weather stripping between the window, use velcro loop (fuzzy side).

#3 ·
i have the quick release frames - 2 screws on inside that allow frame to come up and out of door - which i've done. is the locking mechanism you're referring to the dial that keeps the windows from sliding open? my d90 is a 95 if that makes any difference.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, it is the dial lock. Like I said I do not have the window infront of me. I forgot to mention that you have to drill out the four rivets on the lock and the rivets on the lower frame rail.

Are the screws you are talking about on the bottom window track. You will not be able to put the windows back in with out removing the lower frame and lock. I am at work, but will be home tomorrow and can take a picture if it will help.

#5 ·
it's beginning to make more sense. i drilled out the frame rail rivets but the rail refuses to come loose. that's the banging with a hammer part that i mentioned in my original post.

a photo would be absolutely helpful. i can't thank you enough for your time. and what an ordeal it is to replace the glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.