Shackle Mounting Bracket on rear for recovery point? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM
graves14
Tyler Graves
1997 D-90

Shackle Mounting Bracket on rear for recovery point?

Greetings!

I'm collecting my wish list of things for my new (new to me obviously) D90. Short version includes Rock Ware front bumper with some recovery points, High-lift adapters, light bar and Husky 10 winch.

My question is about the rear recovery points. I've done some homework, but I can't find any references about the Shackle Mounting Brackets offered over at EE (https://www.expeditionexchange.com/smb). Will these align without drilling and such to the rear cross member holes like the Dixon-Bate 5 ton job? If so, any reason not to save like $140 and get the Shackle Mount instead? I don't want to drill, especially with those nice holes already there ready to go!

Thanks!
Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008, 01:44 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

Do you have a hitch? Just get a hitch receiver plug in with a d-shackle..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:12 PM
graves14
Tyler Graves
1997 D-90

I do. I could use that, but its the same price as a the shackle mount. I've read a few responses about those receiver deals, and some people question the strength of the class III mounting for heavy recovery operations. I haven't been able to find anyone stating the max rating on the factory step bumper either (for recovery purposes)...

I also need something to go in those holes. Those holes are just sitting there waiting for an accessory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2008, 02:30 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

I don't know about the max rating on the D90.. but I've done just about every recovery possible on Disco's using the hitch shackle and never had an issue with it..
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old January 31st, 2008, 02:59 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by graves14
I do. I could use that, but its the same price as a the shackle mount. I've read a few responses about those receiver deals, and some people question the strength of the class III mounting for heavy recovery operations. I haven't been able to find anyone stating the max rating on the factory step bumper either (for recovery purposes)...

I also need something to go in those holes. Those holes are just sitting there waiting for an accessory!
FWIW, I researched this issue several months ago and went with a Superwinch Receiver Shackle Bracket. According to a couple of guys I totally trust, this is a very reasonable solution relative to strength and cost.

Like you, I wanted to get one of those Dixon-Bate 5 ton tow jaws as it would look very nice attached to those holes in the bumper/cross member. I did a search on this forum and found that installation (with the recommended backing plate) might require temporary removal of the gas tank skid plate. You should check yours out to see if this is true.

Also, someone said that you would have to open the rear door to get the pin in and out. Neither issue is a big deal but I thought it was more effort than it was worth. Let us know what you decide.
Old January 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
graves14
Tyler Graves
1997 D-90

Thanks for the responses. Thats a good point Gary, I think your right about having to open the door. There's really no clearance between the mounting area and the spare tire. That's another point in the Shackle Mount's column!

I may just get one of those shackle mounts and try it. I'm sure I can find a use for it if it won't mount on the rear correctly.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bracket, cover, mount, rack