Shackle mount - front bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:01 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Shackle mount - front bumper

Would anyone do it?

Heres what I'm thinking:

Mounted on the face of the bumper - just outside the frame rails, at this spot there is a vertical plate welded along the back, from the bottom to the top of the bumper. I would put a mounting plate behind the face of the bumper, some sleeves to fill in the gap between the face and the rear vertical plate, and then another backing plate behind that, and then lock washers and the nuts.

I think this will spread the load out very well. The factory bumper isn't any thinner than a factory winch bumper, and this will essentially give me 24" of surface area for each shackel bracket. multiply that by two shackels, always used with a bridle and your talking 4 sq ft of surface area to spread the load out over.

This would give me a higher and mroe accesible recovery point than my jate rings, and they could serve as a back up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:09 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Interesting...I've been likewise struggling with thinking through how to put a recovery point on my front factory bumper as well. I know the "real" answer is to get a heavy-duty winch-bumper, but: a) I'm too cheap at the moment to buy a full setup, b) I can't find one I'm in love with.

I literally was thinking about posting something similar so I'd be curious to see what folks think, and if you do it on your end may I suggest putting something with pics into the "Smaller Projects" section.

I've also been unable to figure out how to mount jate rings when running a front steering guard. Are you guard-less on yours currently?

PS - cool looking truck. Is it RHD or LHD?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You'll get 10 different takes on this. It can be done by reinforcing the bumper itself, but I'd question the strength of the bumper to frame mounts (thickness of metal), and consider tying the bumper into the jate ring hole.

When I build stuff I always ask myself whether I'd trust my welds or engineering if the truck was solely suspended over my head from that recovery point.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yes, no guards and thats another thing that spurred this, i may want one lol. One thing I dislike about the winch bumpers are how heavy they are. The bumper I had done is just a bit heavier than stock and it supports a winch. Not the prettiest thing, but then again the only one I think that looks good is the ARB and thats an anchor.

Also I mounted the winch on top of my factory bumper with a mounting plate, this should help keep it out of the mud a little better than those that have them inside of the bumper (although I understand why you want it inline with the frame rails).

Dont need to get into a whole debate about my bumper, thats already been done on another thread. I'll see what some peeps think and may give it a whirl.

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2012 06:19 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Are you thinking about getting somthing like the R&P shackle mounts and bolting it to the bumper?

http://pwpinc2.qwestoffice.net/produ...es/Bracket.jpg

-Jeff

yes, in the manner described in the first post

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2012 06:27 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
You'll get 10 different takes on this. It can be done by reinforcing the bumper itself, but I'd question the strength of the bumper to frame mounts (thickness of metal), and consider tying the bumper into the jate ring hole.

When I build stuff I always ask myself whether I'd trust my welds or engineering if the truck was solely suspended over my head from that recovery point.
You read my mind. My bumper has the top mount re-enforced with an additional 3/16" of steel - welded to the winch plate I have on it.

I was going to make up a templated and use some steel re-enforcements to go back to the jate ring holes. However I dont know if that would screw up my ability for steering guard later on.
Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
I went round and round on this and after the cost of the parts and labor...was way over the cost of a new bumper.

Bought a Terrafirma bumper that has a look close to stock.

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
I went round and round on this and after the cost of the parts and labor...was way over the cost of a new bumper.

Bought a Terrafirma bumper that has a look close to stock.

True, and hindsight I would have done that. But I've already spent the money "beefing" up my factory bumper. We're talking another $75-100 in shackle mounts and hardware now, not another $500 in a new bumper
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:31 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
JATE rings are cheap easy and strong. I have broken straps and bent clevis pins with mine
Old February 2nd, 2012, 09:58 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I have two, but issues are running a steer guard with them, and how low they are... If i sink this think in muck they may be a pain to get to.

Just thinking of more things to tinker with i guess
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
oldgreentrucks
Jim Pace

bracket on stock bumper

Many great suggestions...I have used this set up w/ stock bumper for years w/o issue. For extra heavy recovery use both shackle mounts and bridle sling. Load is spread between both frame horns. Always rig carefully.

The OEM brush guard was removed and used as template for bottom plate. Simple, inexpensive, strong.
http://imageevent.com/jimpace/landro...=0&w=4&s=0&z=2
http://imageevent.com/jimpace/landro...=0&y=1&z=2&l=0

Jim
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:12 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreentrucks View Post
Many great suggestions...I have used this set up w/ stock bumper for years w/o issue. For extra heavy recovery use both shackle mounts and bridle sling. Load is spread between both frame horns. Always rig carefully.

The OEM brush guard was removed and used as template for bottom plate. Simple, inexpensive, strong.

Jim
I like the simplicity of it...have you used it in a recovery situation?

I'm guessing you fabricated these, correct?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:

Jim
These are interesting...do you have more info on them?

Curious about the load on the bumper bolts in this situation...thinking you could potentially shear the bolt (but I only got a c in statics...so don't pay much attention to me)

Also...what are the load rating on those shackles? This just potentially looks like a recipe for a projectile...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS
2013 RRS
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:

Jim
Did you just put the bolts through the top of the bumper with a backing plate or did you run the bolt through both the top and bottom with spacers between? U have a pic of the inside of the bumper?
Old February 6th, 2012, 11:50 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:

Jim
That's terrifying.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:16 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
That's terrifying.

Its not AS bad as it looks. You see the plate integrates not only bolts throught the bumper sheet steel but also the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame rails.

The weld between the sleeve and the plate does look a little thin to me, but hey if its worked for him maybe its more substantial than the pictures show??
Old February 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
the jate ring bolts and bumper bolts are both about the same size in diameter and are both long enough to go fully through the frame. The MOD trucks had lifting rings positioned above the bumper to both lift the truck and for recovery. Probably the best bet for a quick bolt on recovery point-I personally hate the jate rings since they are under the truck and that means lying in mud/water/shite etc to access them.

This is an example of what I'm suggesting-there are different variations.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4...nt-bumper.aspx

Bigger bolts-requires drilling - http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...ont-exmod.aspx

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:00 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Its not AS bad as it looks. You see the plate integrates not only bolts throught the bumper sheet steel but also the bolts that hold the bumper to the frame rails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post

The weld between the sleeve and the plate does look a little thin to me, but hey if its worked for him maybe its more substantial than the pictures show??

The plate and the bolts are the least of the problem. It's the weld between the tube and the plate as you've pointed out and the thickness of the tube wall you want to worry about 1st. Imagine what is happening when you put a side load on that such as with an angled pull? Its either going to pull that tube straight off the plate or rip through the wall of the tube.

If I was recovering him, I would refuse to attach to that.
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
the jate ring bolts and bumper bolts are both about the same size in diameter and are both long enough to go fully through the frame. The MOD trucks had lifting rings positioned above the bumper to both lift the truck and for recovery. Probably the best bet for a quick bolt on recovery point-I personally hate the jate rings since they are under the truck and that means lying in mud/water/shite etc to access them.

This is an example of what I'm suggesting-there are different variations.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-4...nt-bumper.aspx

Bigger bolts-requires drilling - http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-1...ont-exmod.aspx
I like these options...look much more rugged/sturdy than other things I've seen. May have to give this a shot - also besides the inconvenience of jate rings, they are just about impossible to use with a steering guard fitted.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old February 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
If I was recovering him, I would refuse to attach to that.
Ditto. I carry a nice choker chain for those situations. That little dinky piece of tube is too small for a hard recovery. Look at the wall thickness of a typical shackle mount. They are usually about 1/2 or thicker. Yikes...
Old February 6th, 2012, 05:25 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Ditto. I carry a nice choker chain for those situations. That little dinky piece of tube is too small for a hard recovery. Look at the wall thickness of a typical shackle mount. They are usually about 1/2 or thicker. Yikes...
Not only that, it's constructed from stainless steel. What scares me most about his post is that some newer members here think that it sounds like a good idea. These things need to be called out.
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
I agree guys, that weld looks small and your right an angled pull would be scary. Ive ordered some bolt on shackle mounts. Ill post a demo pic of what i intend to do for your guys input prior to bolting them up

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, bumper, front bumper, mount