SG tire carrier question/issues - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 6th, 2006, 11:22 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

SG tire carrier question/issues

Does anyone have one of these they've installed? By the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be much of an improvement over the stock tire carrier. Looks like it uses the same general mounting points as the original. I hhave a serious creaking sound coming from the rear of the truck that I know is related to the tire carrier. I'd like the weight of the tire etc transferred off the body/door and onto the bumper if at all possible. Interested in hearing some opinions on how much of an improvement the SG tire carrier is and what the best alternatives to the stock or SG carrier might be.

BT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 08:02 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

at the risk of being a SG basher, i installed the tire carrier after a little bit of a chaotic experience with delivery. my rear door has not closed properly since. that made getting recovery equipment out of the back at the romp with jerry cans on the back a little tough b/c i have been guiding the door into place by lifting it onto the latch until i cna get some time to fiddle with it. maybe it was an error on my part, but i follwed the very vague directions as best as i could. i even installed new hinges thinking that maybe the sag was a result of the hinges. the big problem is that you are to re-use a few parts, most notably the mounting points and the articulating arm ... which are 11 years old and rather worn. regardless, there is a screwy (yes, that is the technical term, j/k) thing that is to be adjusted to make the proper fit - it is a guess and test thing as far as i can tell. if anyone can give me some advice on making it work better, that would be awesome ... it is a great looking piece of merchandise but i cant help but wich i had gone the mantec route. just my $.02
george
Old March 7th, 2006, 08:58 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Go with a Mantec tire carrier if you want something that works with the door. It's a proven mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 7th, 2006, 09:22 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I too like the Mantec and would recommend it (i have one). If you are looking to have something very stout made that does not open with the door and can also hold jerry cans try contacting Matt at Rock Ware. He can build things of that nature, to your specs.
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old March 7th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Mark M
Mark Mathews
'94 Beluga Black ST

I have a SG Tire Carrier and am happy with it. It did take a bit of fussing with to get it properly fit. Lots of test fitting and re-adjusting. In the proccess of installing it I discovered that the hinges on the tailgate were shot. I bought rebild kits from Rovers North (around $8 if I remember correctly). I rebilt the hinges and adjusted the tailgate WITHOUT the tire carrier attached. I adjusted the tailgate so that it would close easily then I re-fit the tire carrier. Now the whole thing shuts easily and securely.
Old March 7th, 2006, 05:18 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

For you guys with the Mantec:

Is the top mount bolted through the body only? I recall seeing an installation with a steel plate inside the body mounted vertically, bolted at the top and running down onto the frame or rear bumper.

I plan on putting two of these on the trucks but will they support 35's easily with just the body top mount?
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:03 PM
bterpstra
Brian Terpstra

SG tire rack -

Thanks for the insights. Looks like I'll be shipping a tire rack back to SG. Just don't like the stock setup and this just doesn't look like enough of an improvement to justify the expense.

Also looks like RockWare is going to get a custom fab order.

Anyone want a brand new tire carrier?

BT
Old March 7th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

The key to the SG tire carrier is to adjust the heim joints to make sure the rear door closes properly. Also, you want to weld the brace to the back of the top mount to the rear cage. This helps supprot the weight. The benefits of the SG carrier is that it uses all the stock mounting points so it works properly with the rear door. I do not see how the Mantec would be different, although it doesn;t use stock mounting points, it mounts in a similar fashion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
carrier, tire, tire carrier