SG JEK 3 Suspension Kit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 22nd, 2005, 11:14 AM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

SG JEK 3 Suspension Kit

I kow that there has already been some discussion of the SG JEK 3 and the 3-Link system, but I haven't seen any discussion on the "fit" of the kit. The kit is extremely expensive, but I think perhaps it is worth it as long as it installs as it is advertised (for the price it should "self-mount"). Anyone having personal experience with installing the JEK 3 with the three link system please let me know your thoughts and any "can of worms" that was opened! Also, what kind of trimming of the vehicle was encontoured with running this kit with 35"s?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Riverside huh? I am in Temecula. If you want a different option let me know. Welcome to the board.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have the 3 link and its great. You would also need to get a different shock setup in the front to really get the benifits. As for the JEK? I think its cheaper to put your own system together.. I am running 35"S too
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:27 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I was running a Stage III kit back in its earlier days and I eventually ended up replacing everything out of the kit with an assortment of other makes. I was not using a 3-link though

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 23rd, 2005, 11:21 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Andrew, I would just go with a set of RYM 3" springs and rear links, Rockware rear shock mounts and Contact Keith at Rover Tracks for custom front shock mounts and you are set. As for the shocks, You can go with the Fox shocks that SG sells with there kits or something CHeaper. I here great things about the fox units but I cant afford them yet. When my first set of Rancho's blow up, I will replace with them. Then you just have to figure if you want to retain the springs or get cones. What type of wheelin' will you be doing? What are you looking for?

This is just my opinion and similar to what I am running with 35's
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:35 PM
97D90
Andrew Walcker
1997 Defender 90 LE

David, thanks for the welcome! I am new to the D-90 (actually have owned three TLC's, but don't hold that against me!). I am very interested in your opinion so let me have it!

Follow-up Post:

Randy, thanks for the information! I'll check into the manufacturers' that you suggested. I like the fact that it looks like I can put this together for less $$$. I mostly wheel in So. Cal., the local mountains in Arrowhead and Big Bear, but always try to get out to Moab at least once a year. I do enjoy my share of the rocks!
What kind of body/flare modifications did you make to clear the 35's? What width 35's are you running and what is your rim width and backspacing?

Follow-up Post:

Randy, thanks for the information! I'll check into the manufacturers' that you suggested. I like the fact that it looks like I can put this together for less $$$. I mostly wheel in So. Cal., the local mountains in Arrowhead and Big Bear, but always try to get out to Moab at least once a year. I do enjoy my share of the rocks!
What kind of body/flare modifications did you make to clear the 35's? What width 35's are you running and what is your rim width and backspacing?

Follow-up Post:

Follow-up Post:

RYM? Is that Rovertyme Engineering?
Old September 23rd, 2005, 08:47 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Yep.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

"David, thanks for the welcome! I am new to the D-90 (actually have owned three TLC's, but don't hold that against me!). I am very interested in your opinion so let me have it!"

Hey,

Don't get me wronge, SG is just down the road from me and I have seen the shop and the product has really improved. The 3-link is an awesome product. The only thing about SG is the really excessive price on some of his products. Also, there are a few things that just don't make too much sense, but hey, they work for most.

If you are interested, I have an unbelievable fab guy that can alter your rear links, lift your truck and get the flex you want at a very reasonable price. I also have 3in rear springs, rear shock relocators, rancho's, 15x10 4in backspacing wheels and 37in MTR's that measure 35.9 (tons of tread, just run small) that I am selling very soon. You can have first dibs (I hate shipping). The fender trimming is not very much with the right bumpstops. I can even help you with it.

Things to know before you do anything:
Whatever the lift costs, you will pay more trying to get the axles and RP to stand up to the 35's. I know the terrain you run and it is fairly tame, I didn't hear "Hammers" in there but I did hear Moab which you can certainly spank some rocks on. Be sure to price out some aftermarket axle swaps or the inner Toyota swap before you get set on what you want to do. My only advice is to dump the rover axles completely, spending money on aftermarket shafts and RP's is just polishing a turd. Anyway, hope to see you on a trail soon!

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
kit