Setting up 4.10 gears - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 18th, 2003, 07:42 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Setting up 4.10 gears

Does anyone know the initial setup pinion height for a set of GBR 4.10 gears? I have set up stock 3.54's to the speced pinion height before which is 39.50mm as per the book but have no Idea about the new 4.10's.. When I bought them, I think Bill said 85 thousands but that makes no sence...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 18th, 2003, 10:40 PM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Hey Randy

The set up height should be about the same as your old gears... use your old shims and set the backlash to about .0085" or 8.5 thousands of an inch... Which is the correct backlash for new gears. It could also mean that there should be 85 thousands of an inch, or .085" of shim under the pinion but i doubt that... Every 4.11 set of gears i've ever set up used the stock shims plus or minus a couple thou...

That's my take

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 19th, 2003, 06:58 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks Keith.... He said to set the backlash at 10 thousands of an inch. I will have to call him bach to see what he ment. I was going to just start out with the stock shims like you said.

Randy
Advertisement

Old November 19th, 2003, 10:12 AM
revor
Keith Kreutzer
Old beat up 110
D-90 Source Vendor

Ten thou is fine too... .0015" is a very small distance
See how it patterns... It should be mighty close...

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Big, Red and ... aaa Red..
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:17 AM
m.olivares
marc olivares

randy

the back lash for gbr 4.10 gears is between .008" and .010" (that's 8 and 10 thousands).
the pinion height is determined by your carrier housing. the earlier housings usually run around .054" to .058". the later axles uses a must taller shim height typically around .080" to .084". my 99" used .082" in the front and .078" in the rear. keith is correct in using your original shim to start, but more shims will be needed to be correct.
pinion preload should be as close to 25" lbs. as you can get.(25 inch pounds with new seal).

when i set up a gear set, i drop in the stock pinion shim and add .020 to .030 shims (usually (2) .015" or (2) .010" shims)
use an old pinion race slightly ground as a set up race and drop the shims, race, bearing, and pinion gear into housing. place the carrier in the housing and check the height where the top of the pinion gear meets the ring gear. what your looking for is the top of the (p) gear to sit level with the inner edge of the ring gear.this will get you started. once it's close, set the preload, backlash, and roll a pattern.
when the pattern looks good, disassemble and redo with the new pinion race.
things to keep in mind, when pinion to low, add shims on gear side and remove an equal amount of shims on the flange side. this keeps the preload the same when changing the gear height. and for the pattern, i 've found that the yellow pattern gease mixed with a little white lithium works better than the prussian blue.

good luck,
marc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions