service engine VS. check engine - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 5th, 2004, 02:31 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

service engine VS. check engine

hey gang,
since i got my new d-90, i need to get it smogged.
the tech said it FAILED smog since my "service engine"
light was on...

is that true?????

dealer said he's not sure, but it should pass.....it would fail if CHECK ENGINE
light was on....but mine is only saying service engine...

what to do?

-dan

ps> i found 2 small vacuum lines at the rear of the engine....they are just left there dangling.....is that suppose to be like that??

thanks all..

-dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 02:41 PM
thelandroverguy
Vince
1997 D-90 ST

Some smog places will fail you if 'visually' certain systems are not in place. The tech may not know the differance between check or service. He or she just saw the lmap lit and failed it. As for as the lines in the back, be sure your not looking at axel breathers.
Old December 5th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The "Service Engine" light is just a milage based reminder that goes on every 50k or so miles, in order to tell you it's time to inspect the condition of your emissions system.

Only the "Check Engine" light means something is broken.

As to the vacuum lines, normally something loose and dangling is a bad things. But you would have to trace the routing to seee where they are supposed to go.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 5th, 2004, 04:00 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Do you/did you have AC? Or, do you have the AC and no compressor? That would be the most logical reason to have dangling hoses.

Old December 5th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Dan, you can fix the service engine light by removing it, and can you post a pic of the hoses.
Old December 5th, 2004, 08:09 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

wow!
how to turn it off?

i am so pissed the smog guy.......he said that i had to pay him regardless.....paid him $50 to tell me it failed b/c "CHECK ENGINE" was on...........

and NOPE! it was SERVICE ENGINE!!! what to do??? Grrrr...

ps> will post the pics.....great idea...you guys are awesome..
they look like 2 small black hoses.....one that looks like an end of a candy cane.....they both go towards the back....travel on top of the transmission......may not be nothing?

it's a 1997 with a/c....not sure what TYPE of a/c it is....

thanks a bunch, gang~

-dan

ps> aren't you guys worried about the rear spare being stolen?? maybe it's cause i am in LA. the factory wheel locks are like $135! wow!
Old December 6th, 2004, 03:49 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

hey fellas!
so!! if the SERVICE ENGINE light is on, shouldn't it PASS smog????

my question is, did the mechanic fail me because he thought that it was my CHECK ENGINE light?? does the OBD computer of the car tell the smog check machine to FAIL if the service engine light is on??? i am so confused.

theoretically, does the SERVICE ENGINE light go on for oil changes, etc? Would it FAIL a smog check automatically??

thanks so much!

-dan
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:52 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Well what I know about 94s and I think this applies for 97s is the Check engine light only comes when there is a problem with part of the fuel injection system. While the service engine comes on at what ever mileage as a reminder to check the emissions junk.

I don't know the CA laws, but in some places they will fail you for either light, and they can, but most places around me, when you fail an inspection they tell you what to fix, then when you come back with the problem fixed they give you a pass as at no extra charge as they have done the inspection.

So if it is the service engine light, I would remove the dumb bulb, bring it back and see if they pass it, I know there is some little box on the 94s someplace behind the dash with a button under a sticker to reset that dumb light, but I don't know that the 97s had this because they are OBD2.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Totally correct Mike, the "Check Engine" light only ties into the Fuel Injection system. Mainly it just lets you know that sensors went bad or are reading something all wonky. See, I DID learn something from reading about the MegaSquirt.

I wish I could tell you exactly where the service-engine box is located behind the dash gauges, but mine was in the center console (AKA removed) when I bought the truck.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 6th, 2004, 08:40 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

"Service Engine" is an EPA-mandated timer. 'comes on about every 85K or so on my 97's. if "Service Engine" is on, it means you reached the time when you're supposed to take the vehicle in for "testing" of the emissions system, but you didn't (otherwise, the dealer would have reset it, wouldn't they?). So, they failed you.

Resetting this light is like a free $60-$70 bucks for dealers; they don't do anything else unless something is obvious. For a '97, see the FAQ for instructions on resetting the timer.

Those "candy cane" hoses are the axle vent breather tubes. They come up high in the engine compartment so that they stay above water when deep wading.
Old December 6th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Barry's right, they are vent tubes I thought they were transmission vent tubes? (I never have traced them I was just advised by tech that they were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO

Those "candy cane" hoses are the axle vent breather tubes. They come up high in the engine compartment so that they stay above water when deep wading.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoses_rear-engine_top (Small).jpg
Views:	214
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	2017  

Old December 6th, 2004, 11:51 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

so does that mean they are normal?? do we just leave them hanging??

thanks, fellas...

ps> how to turn the service engine light off?? for a 97???

-dan
Old December 7th, 2004, 01:14 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

pull the bulb out. Or, black electrical tape. "Hi, my name is Lucas, now bend over".

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old December 7th, 2004, 04:21 AM
Kimos
Larry O'Hara
1997 Defender Wagon

Yep jusst leave them "sticking up". Like Barry side they just need to be up high above wading level . . . I guess that is if your gonna wade

Old December 7th, 2004, 11:31 AM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

you guys are great!

thanks! was worried that it was causing my smog check to "fail".....

darn, now the smog check guy insists that it's my engine that's causing the failure....
he thinks that the SERVICE ENGINE = SMOG FAILURE. what the!?

how can i prove to him otherwise?? please help, yall...

thanks,

-dan
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Tell him you took it to the dealer and they found an O2 sensor was loose and reconnected it, then they reset the service light (this is when you pull the bulb out) and all was good with the engine.
Old December 7th, 2004, 02:17 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadanster
ps> how to turn the service engine light off?? for a 97???

-dan
From the FAQ (http://www.defendersource.com/faq/Engine/engmain.html ), for a 97:

Summary of how to do it yourself:
-expect the service engine light to come on at 82500 miles.
-resetting the service reminder light on a 97 d90 can and should be done on your own.
-remove the center console and AC shroud (3 screws behind 3 of the 4 vents (remove to access) and 1 screw down low underneath on the drivers side). The console has 3 bolts inside the back bottom and 2 push in plastic retainers in the front, on on each side on the outside)
-located the light brown plastic box behind the fuse/relay panel on the left side (second box from the left. You may need to remove the fuse/relay panel bracket to get at the brown box.
-turn the ignition on, truck does not need to be running but dash lights need to light up
-below the LR sticker there are 2 holes, choose the left most hole, stick a nail or straight 3" length of a metal coat hanger thru the hole until it stops. If the service light doesn't go out then try again. If it still doesn't go out then you need to remove the box (pops up and out) disconnect the cable, open up the box and clean the metal contacts. The contacts are supposed to be separated. If they are dirty they wont reset properly. Reconnect the box while open and fiddle w/ the contacts until the light goes out. Reassemble box and reconnect
-once light is off reassemble console.
-be happy that you just saved a $150.
Old December 7th, 2004, 06:15 PM
scubadanster
daniel park
1997 defender 90

wow!

you da man!

thanks....

-dan
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:18 AM
Blu
Nicole Bailey
1994/D90

Service light

How do i reset the service light?? Its been on for ever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
The "Service Engine" light is just a milage based reminder that goes on every 50k or so miles, in order to tell you it's time to inspect the condition of your emissions system.

Only the "Check Engine" light means something is broken.

As to the vacuum lines, normally something loose and dangling is a bad things. But you would have to trace the routing to seee where they are supposed to go.

-Hans
Follow-up Post:

You are the man,Thank you!

Q
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
From the FAQ (http://www.defendersource.com/faq/Engine/engmain.html ), for a 97:

Summary of how to do it yourself:
-expect the service engine light to come on at 82500 miles.
-resetting the service reminder light on a 97 d90 can and should be done on your own.
-remove the center console and AC shroud (3 screws behind 3 of the 4 vents (remove to access) and 1 screw down low underneath on the drivers side). The console has 3 bolts inside the back bottom and 2 push in plastic retainers in the front, on on each side on the outside)
-located the light brown plastic box behind the fuse/relay panel on the left side (second box from the left. You may need to remove the fuse/relay panel bracket to get at the brown box.
-turn the ignition on, truck does not need to be running but dash lights need to light up
-below the LR sticker there are 2 holes, choose the left most hole, stick a nail or straight 3" length of a metal coat hanger thru the hole until it stops. If the service light doesn't go out then try again. If it still doesn't go out then you need to remove the box (pops up and out) disconnect the cable, open up the box and clean the metal contacts. The contacts are supposed to be separated. If they are dirty they wont reset properly. Reconnect the box while open and fiddle w/ the contacts until the light goes out. Reassemble box and reconnect
-once light is off reassemble console.
-be happy that you just saved a $150.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, service