Series III half doors for a NAS 94 D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:25 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
Series III half doors for a NAS 94 D90

From various conversations that I have had, it is my understanding that Series III half doors fit onto a 94 D90 and work w/ some minor tweaking i.e. cutting holes for the lock and adding the 90 degree bent tab that will hit the interior on/off light switch on the door. Other than that it is suppose to be a good match.

My interior door frames are rotted and I am thinking of going the route of getting new doors rather than taking the old doors apart, repairing the frames, and putting on new skins. Its too bad because I already have 2 sets of galvy bottom door frames and corners sitting in a barn for that project.

That said, Does anyone have any suggestions or comments that have used SIII half doors for 94 D90? Also, besides the big price difference, what are the primary differences between the proline and geniune half doors i.e. pros, cons, etc. Thanks, Rufus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 01:31 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

why not just buy defender doors?

they sell them at rn
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
94 defender doors are $730 range each and SIII are 500 range ea for original and 250 range for proline. If SIII are the same doors and need minor modifications, I dont mind doing the work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
If you already have galvy door frames, why not just get new skins for them?
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:47 AM
FlaD90
Tom
1994 ST D90
D-90 Source Vendor

I do recall seeing in Land Rover Magazine a special Soft Top "Defender" with the SIII doors on it, looked very cool. Interesting project.
sorry just re-read your post on Half doors, the article I read/saw had one piece doors.
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
94 defender doors are $730 range each and SIII are 500 range ea for original and 250 range for proline. If SIII are the same doors and need minor modifications, I dont mind doing the work.
The only difference between a SIII door and the 94 NAS 90 door is the addition of the little leg that sticks off to turn on and off the interior light switch.
Remove that from your rusted door and weld it to the new door prior to paint and you are done.

You can use SIII doors on 95-97 90s as well if you remove the door retainer bracket off the old door and weld it to the new door.

I wouldn't go aftermarket though unless you don't care about the fit. Most aftermarket Rover doors don't fit for crap, but I'm picky about how things line up, so that is up to you.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old July 29th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
thanks i appreciate the suggestions - i think the only other mod is fitting the defender half door cards to the SIII half doors and i think that is just a matter of lining up the holes and drilling them out in the SIII door frames. would I have to tap those threads or are those door card screws self tapping? then the next step, before painting, would be prepping the new SIII doors to be as rot proof as possible so I can avoid this project in the future. my plan was to hit the door frames inside and out with POR 15 then waxoyl the frames inside and out. Does anyone have any other sugguestions? (Other than taking the new SIII skins off galvy the door frames and putting the whole thing back together... i know this might be best, but since they would be new doors I would rather not start right out by taking them apart....)

------ Follow up post added July 29th, 2010 02:21 AM ------

QUOTE=cgalpin

If you already have galvy door frames, why not just get new skins for them?

the galy door frames I have for both doors are just the bottom section of the frame as well as each of the corners. I would still have to splice and weld those replacement pieces into the old frame, make sure it is all square, lines up correctly, etc. then put new skins on.... adding it all up, it just seems like getting new SIII doors are a better way to go...several people have told me that as well.

BTW - if anyone is interested in those galvy door frame parts let me know. again bottom sections with both cornders, I have them available for both NAS half doors. they are brand new and still in the box.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions

Rufus
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:22 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Rufus, interested in the door frames. Please send me a PM with cost and any details you may have.
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Rufus
Rufus
1994 NAS D90 ST #1118

Registry
I know the SIII doors are the most compatable for a 94 D90, but why can't you use 95-97 doors - I know they are different - but how? I have a feeling it has to do with the latch. can they be made to fit? SIII door seem easy enough, so I will most likely go that route, im just curious.
Old July 18th, 2015, 06:47 AM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Soooooo 5 years later, what did you end up doing? Did you go with the series III doors?

------ Follow up post added July 18th, 2015 06:49 AM ------

If so, how did you pre-treat them to deter rust.
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:06 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
I guess the best thing one can do is buy genuine half door series III type, get the skin off and galvanise the frame. Then what i'd like to do is make a fiberglass skin. No more rusty bottom door and no more corrosion on the skin from contact with steal. Anyone?
Old July 18th, 2015, 12:38 PM
EnduroPro
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNRover View Post
I guess the best thing one can do is buy genuine half door series III type, get the skin off and galvanise the frame. Then what i'd like to do is make a fiberglass skin. No more rusty bottom door and no more corrosion on the skin from contact with steal. Anyone?

Hmmm interesting. Stretch fabric and apply fiberglass? I'd love to follow that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, door, nas, series, series iii