Series III footwells in a 110? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 30th, 2009, 04:04 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Series III footwells in a 110?

Hey everyone,

I am in the middle of a frame swap for my 110 and will need to work on the footwells soon. Can anyone with personal experience tell me if it is possible to use Series III footwells in a 110? I was told that it is possible but it is not a direct fit and that I would have to cut/fabricate to get it to fit. I know YRM across the pond offers 110 footwells but the shipping cost is really high. I can get the Series III ones here in the US relatively cheap. Anyway, thanks in advance and any input is appreciated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:17 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

It would be easier to just make new panels out of sheet steel than try to adapt SIII units.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old September 30th, 2009, 06:00 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
It would be easier to just make new panels out of sheet steel than try to adapt SIII units.
Really?

What are the differences? Width of the tunnel (maybe)?

edit: i am just curious, I am not saying you are wrong.
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:39 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Do you have a photo of the area that you need to replace? (If it's apart, pictures of inside and outside.) Location and size of the affected areas dictate what direction to take.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:30 AM
kjva
Ken Jackson
1985 110 Wagon

Try a post on the UK forums a lot of that stuff has already been tried over there, I have never heard of it being done.
Old October 1st, 2009, 07:57 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Really?

What are the differences? Width of the tunnel (maybe)?

edit: i am just curious, I am not saying you are wrong.

SIII and Defender footwells are a totally different shape. The vertical flat section is longer on the D and such, so nothing will go in easy. If you have to cut stuff, why buy a "pre-made panel" is my point. We have both here and it would end up costing the customer more if we started with SIII parts to patch a D bulkhead.

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Series footwells are hard enough to fit in a series bulkhead, I agree just start from scratch.
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Chris - the areas are more towards the bottom and outside. Rusted through. The top and inside around the transmission is solid

Ken - I will look over there today but from what I am hearing, I don't think I will even bother

Keyser and Scott - Thanks for the info, this will save me a lot of frustration. I had no idea they were so different

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old October 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I just did this repair to my series III bulkhead. It took my 36 hours of work to get the bulkhead down to bare metal, repaired and primed. The footwells I was able to get were right hand drive so I had the additional task of cutting out the slots for the clutch and brake pedals. The rust I had sounds like exactly what you are describing. Next time I will just fab new ones from scratch, it would have been quicker. I am pleased with the results and now I have to seal the joints and put some body filler on the imperfections. Then a second coat of primer, then base coat then top coat. It will be several hundred hours before the bulkhead is ready for reinstallation.

It is going to be good though!
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

I would do it from scratch. Take floor panels out - grind down to good metal - and visualize cutting and patching with sections of flat sheet metal. It is basically cutting and welding and grinding. Thin sections so a 110v mig should do it. Important thing is to leave no rust. If you have a small hand break, you can do some fancier work with a little less welding. I can look at it tomorrow, but I think it is only 18 or 19 guage metal.
Old October 1st, 2009, 09:39 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here are some pics, not bad really but driver side is rusted through. Just want to get it done since I have everything apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	21833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	510.1 KB
ID:	21834  

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:44 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Just so you can compare to your pix. This is what a Series bulkhead looks like:

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Bulkhead.html

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:55 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Here is mine...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=4118d3c111

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=3910d3453c
Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:03 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Okay, so I recognize all the symptoms but like any good alcoholic I cannot help myself. I have been thinking for the past few days about my options on these darn footwells. I can spend roughly $150 to get them imported from the UK and be done with it. OR I can buy this:

http://grizzlytools.com/products/24-Bending-Brake/H2788

and make as many as I need. I am mean how hard can it be? The angles doesn't seem to be that hard. One sheet for the floor and one sheet for the side. YRM's footwells come in 2 pieces and look like this. Plus in the end I get another tool for the shop

It's a win-win situation - said one alcoholic to the other
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ref004b.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	21891   Click image for larger version

Name:	ref005b.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	21892  

Old October 2nd, 2009, 10:09 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX
Okay, so I recognize all the symptoms but like any good alcoholic I cannot help myself. I have been thinking for the past few days about my options on these darn footwells. I can spend roughly $150 to get them imported from the OK and be done with it. OR I can buy this:

http://grizzlytools.com/products/24-Bending-Brake/H2788

and make as many as I need. I am mean how hard can it be? The angles doesn't seem to be that hard. One sheet for the floor and one sheet for the side. YRM's footwells come in 2 pieces and look like this:
just make and estimate them, thats what LR did
Old October 3rd, 2009, 05:58 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsD90
just make and estimate them, thats what LR did
You think they even estimated?????
Old October 3rd, 2009, 09:04 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

It doesn't look all that bad in the photos. If it is limited, smaller patches welded in will work. With patience you won't even be able to see the patches.
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Ok so just a follow up on this in case anyone is interested. I got the hand brake in a few months ago and finally got around to fabricating the footwells. I used white posterboard and my spare bulkhead as a template. A few hours of measuring and this is what I ended up with. Good news is that the side panels are mirror images of each other so I only had to make one. The foot panels though are different. The driver side is wider. My 110 is RHD in case anyone is taking notes:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0099.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	24289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0101.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	24290  

Name:	IMG_0105.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	24291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0106.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	24292  

Name:	IMG_0010_2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	24293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016_2.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	24294  

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:09 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I plan on bolting/glueing the panels in as I am not a very good welder, so I picked up some stainless steel remnants at the surplus store. I think you can get steel sheets at home depot or northern tools in different gauges. Traced the pattern on then used my angle grinder to score the lines and finished cutting them out with my jigsaw.

I plan on cutting out just the rusted areas and leave "healthy" metal alone. I figure this way I can use the original metal as a "splashguard" against the elements. And since I am putting it in on the "inside" of the footwells, the panels were cut slightly smaller than the actual footwells so it will fit "into" the footwells.

Here are some pics of me using the hand brake to bend the panels. Use an angle finder to get the correct angle of each bend. Took me all of 2 minutes to bend them.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0004_2.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	24301   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	325.8 KB
ID:	24302  

Name:	IMG_0005_2.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	24303  

Old January 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Here they are tested fitted. The tab on the right side panel will be fitted under the foot panel to give it some support. Still have to make the left side but you guys get the idea. All in all very easy to do. And cheap. The most expensive part was the hand brake, but now I have a tool I can use for something else. The panels themselves only cost me about $50 in materials. Of course you can get heavier or lighter steel. Mine was stainless so it was a little more expensive. I also thought about making them in aluminum but couldn't find any. Hope that helps if anyone here ever wanted to make there own but was afraid to try. If I can do it, anyone can. Of course if you are close to or have the extra money, please support our local vendors here in the States so we can have more Land Rovers running around...for a long time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	24304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0008_2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	24305  

Name:	IMG_0026.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	24306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019_2.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	24307  

Name:	IMG_0025.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	427.4 KB
ID:	24308  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, footwell, series, series iii