Series Diffs in my 110 Dilemma - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 2nd, 2010, 05:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Series Diffs in my 110 Dilemma

I am in the process of installing ARBs in my '83 110 and upgrading to 24 spline shafts. I have quickly realized I probably have Series diffs - the fill plug is in the carrier and I have 4.70 gears, but Rangie axles from what I gather. I have no idea if all these parts are interchangeable, but I have RD128 ARBs, and all the conversion parts from a Disco.

Anyone have any idea the proper bearing size to fit a RD128 in a Series diff???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:19 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Get a pair of coiler 3rds and new gears. Bob Courtney on here just went through the same issue.
Old April 2nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I think I am swapping in some 3:54 D90 diffs in the near term

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:00 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I've sen the axles and have no idea what they are. Both are rover type, rear has shocks that go one forward and the other backward. There are no fill plugs in the cover pans, and the fill plugs are on the third member a la series truck. Probably because they are series diffs. I figured the axles might have bene off the 200tdi disco that the engine and trans are out of
Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:53 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
all innards and hubs/stubs are getting converted to disco 1 24 spline

hoping his ARBs will work in my old defender 10 spline diffs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I'm guessing early RR housings with the fore/aft shocks, but those ran the mushroom axles. Prior to '87 they changed so both shocks were forward mounted, so that rules out the disco axles. Maybe early Ninety? Are the diff housings flat bottom with drain offset to the side, or are they round bottom with the fill plug directly in the center? I'm assuming they have the skinny front radius arms. Any pic's? What CV's does it have?

-Jeff
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:10 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ren Ching and I will be sorting this out today. It's definitely a frankenstein of a truck though! I'll let you know our progress and will post some pics.

Semper Fi!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have a couple 10 spline 3.54 diffs here which you could have/borrow/buy/trade. Pop in the 24 spline ARBs and you are done.

To put ARBs in a series carrier you need some bearing spacers. I have enough to do one axle here at the house.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I ended up getting a pair of 10 spline 3.54 diffs from Ren Ching and we got the rear ARB installed today. Looks like all the 24 spline Disco conversion parts will work. I ended up have to weld in some fill plugs in both my axles as both had them in the 3rds. Still no clue what the axles are from.

Semper Fi!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:57 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Well, make sure the axle shafts are the right length. Do you have narrow or thick drive flanges?

The axle cases should have a number stamped into them. That would tell you what they were from.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I actually test fit the rear axle shafts with the hubs on and everything looks good. I'll button up the rear end tomorrow and move on to the front.

Semper Fi!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:05 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
And here I thought you would be able to install my cage :-)
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I actually test fit the rear axle shafts with the hubs on and everything looks good. I'll button up the rear end tomorrow and move on to the front.
They bolt up to the hub fine, but they are too short or long (I forget) so hold them up to the 10 spline ones and make sure they are the same length.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
They bolt up to the hub fine, but they are too short or long (I forget) so hold them up to the 10 spline ones and make sure they are the same length.
The 24 splines use different hubs and hub stubs, so it's not as simple as dropping in 24 spline shafts. I've got all the conversion parts and everything bolts up fine.

------ Follow up post added April 3rd, 2010 08:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
And here I thought you would be able to install my cage :-)
Uh, yeah. Um......

Semper Fi!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
evilfij
evilfij

[QUOTE=Wolf Fabrication;213927]The 24 splines use different hubs and hub stubs, so it's not as simple as dropping in 24 spline shafts. I've got all the conversion parts and everything bolts up fine. [QUOTE]

IN that case it will work fine. I did not know you were using the new hubs and stub axles which was why I was concerned. All the axle cases are the same width.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, diffs, fs, series