Separating rear rotor from hub - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2009, 07:11 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Separating rear rotor from hub

ok, I am stumped. I have just about everything and can't get the effin rotor off the hub. On the back side of the rotor, is a flanged piece that holds the rear seal and behind the seal the bearing. It doesn't look like the rotor will actually fit over this piece, like it needs to come out first. Like maybe it is pressed in there. I am assuming it is just par of the hub and the rotor fits over it but that seems really odd.

I know these are supposed to be a b*(ch to get off but damn. Tried PB, hammers, prying, heat, cold and nothing seems to help

I don't see in it in the FSM at all or any of the sites that show a blow up of the rear axle.

The bad attached pic shows what I am looking at and the rear seal. The red line is the bottom of the steel flange holding the real seal at the top of it. Man, that sounds complicated.

any help is appreciated,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	21761  
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Its just wedged on there badly from corrosion. Get a bigger hammer!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:18 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Jim beat me too it, your not beating the F out of it yet. Once it breaks free it won't be hard. Dribble a little Kroil on the seam and go at it the next day.
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2009, 08:20 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
x2. I have put the rotor in the vice and beat the back half off. I should really know what this is called but I dont. The last time I replaced rotors my 150 pounds was hanging off a 40 inch pry bar and I had someone with a 3lb hammer working pretty hard.
Old September 26th, 2009, 09:03 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Right bigger hammer, beer and friends! check. thanks guys

bill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions