Semi-racing suspension - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Semi-racing suspension

I'm wanting to upgrade Chammy's suspension to a high-speed off-road rig, but also retaining ability for medium rock garden work. Single shocks don't last under these conditions, so I'm looking at doubling up shocks, etc. Chammy currently has no anti-sway bars.

Thoughts?

Doug W.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2005, 09:30 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

There was a RR at RR5 that had a set-up like what you are describing, unfortunately I don't know who's rig it was. It looked fairly stock but was trailer to the event. It was built by some race team, so I was told. A friend of mine ran one of the trails with this RR and said how well it did, in fact he ran the trails a bit on the fast side as he said the truck performed better. You could probably ask around the SCLR club to find out who it was.
Old July 20th, 2005, 12:55 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sooo, an extra shock a corner is considered a High-speed suspension? Come on Doug! You won't get crap out of that. If your talking about shock fade due to heat when you say "can't handle it", go to a bypass or reservoir shock. Bypass being better. There is a reason dual shocks went out in the 80's. I am guessing by High Speed you mean, well, low speed - 40 mph or so in the desert? Then to keep it cheap, put the sway bars back on, get better springs and when you mount the shocks, don't lay them foreword like so many long travel kits do in the rear. Then, lighten up the truck as best you can, and truss the axles. With the weight of that thing now, you hit a bump at 50 and your front end wil be smiling at you. This is just a start....

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Is anyone using bypass shocks on their D-90's?
Old July 20th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks, Dave. Appreciate the input. Forgive my ignorance, but what is a bypass shock?

Doug W.
Old July 20th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Trevor Tarr
Trevor Tarr
1997 D-90 4.6 NAS ST

Bypass shocks have one or more external valved tubes which allow fluid flow around the shock piston. The valving of these tubes can be adjusted. Also, WHERE the tubes enter and exit the shock body creates position- (not just velocity-) dependent damping. So you can have high damping at large displacements (big giant bumps) but low damping for small displacements (washboard).
Old July 20th, 2005, 11:52 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Thanks Trevor. Learning here....

Doug W.
Old July 21st, 2005, 10:39 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Sway bars, HD shock mounts in front, high end external resivior shocks and you are doing pretty good for a top heavy 5000lbs vehicle.
Old July 21st, 2005, 11:40 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

SG has a red D-90 in their shop that has Fox coilovers. I think they are bypass, but not sure. I was talking to them about it and they said that it was designed specifically for high speed desert stuff. I used to race in the Mojave Desert Racing series in a 5-1600 car and I agree with Dave that dual shocks are not the way to go. I have been told by a long time racer that a well valved resivior shock is better than a bypass shock, and in fact bypass shocks were developed as a means of testing valving without having to rebuild the shock. But if you want adjustability bypass is the way to go.
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:09 AM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Good info you guys. I appreciate the guidance.

DW
Old July 22nd, 2005, 12:26 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Hey guys,

The coilovers on the SG truck are not bypass shocks. To the best of my knowledge, there are no by-pass coilovers. You will know a shock is bypass when you see it. Reservoir shocks are not better than a Bypass shock! Not for constant use. Plus, most bypass shocks (almost all) have a reservior. The problem is, a good bypass can go for $700 and is way overkill for what you want, Doug. If you really want to go after this, which your truck is really not good for, I would seriously recommend:

Fox Reservoir Shocks (mounted correctly, don't get me started on the way the rear shocks in Defenders are mounted . Great for getting groceries...)

Good Springs. Something with high silicone

Don't mess to much with the suspension. The radius arm design works well when not articulating, just lenthen the shock towers and retain the springs.

A good set of bump stops.

TRUSS THE AXLES. Seriously, truss them.

That should just about take care of it without going way overboard into serious cash. To make it much better, you will get into major bucks. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac