Semi-Folding Top Concept (Need engineering gut check) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2016, 10:59 AM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Hey folks, thanks for the responses. Some answers for folks:

1. This is a communal garage. The worst part is that it actually DOES fit all the way to my spot, except that the height barrier isn't just a hanging PVC pipe, it's a WELDED giant piece made of L beams and then lag bolted into the concrete ceiling. If it were a pipe, I could just bump underneath it or surreptitiously shorten the wire in the dead of night.

2. I'd love to just do bags, but I've got lots of things to prioritize with a few $K investment in the truck. The current spring and tire setup is fairly tall, not a lift kit, but not short. But it works great, looks great, I'd rather walk a few blocks to a diff garage than shorten the ride height.

3. This truck isn't a DAILY driver, but I'd like to use it frequently. I would drive it daily, but i walk to work. If I get an awesome compressor with an automatic shutoff, I think I could shorten the process quite a bit. It seems dumb, but I guess if someone told me, you could continue in this spot, you'll just have to wait 5-10 min each time you leave, I'd take it. Hell, it'll give the ole V8 good warmup time.

4. That tube disconnect is pretty snazzy. Why wouldn't that solution work?

5. People have mentioned it's been done, any links?

6. Agreed on the urban winter storm driving. It's the only time to really stretch the rover's legs in the winter months! Plus with this storm we're getting, there may be so much that ground clearance is the key. Either way, I'm gonna put the top on this weekend, and air down to get back in after the weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2016, 11:07 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Totally agree. The best time to move around and one of the reasons I drive a Rover. I've pulled cops out of ditches and rescue squads up hills they can't crest. That's fun urban Rovering.

Also, you should check with your local hospital or 4WD club.
Most nurses or ER docs dont have a 4wd vehicle or dont feel comfortable in the real deep stuff.
Three years ago, I transported nurses in the RR Hunter to our local hospital and a shelter that was set up at a high school off I-81.
This was during a snowstorm that dumped more than 20" of snow.
Truckers were parking their rigs off the interstate.

We were the only vehicles out besides the plows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post

1. This is a communal garage. The worst part is that it actually DOES fit all the way to my spot, except that the height barrier isn't just a hanging PVC pipe, it's a WELDED giant piece made of L beams and then lag bolted into the concrete ceiling. If it were a pipe, I could just bump underneath it or surreptitiously shorten the wire in the dead of night..
So...could you get a different parking space??
Barring that, do as Jonesy said and get some rapid deflaters and a CO2 tank or quick compressor.

Where is the pic of your truck?
That will determine if it matters to cutting it up... ha ha

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 21st, 2016, 01:23 PM
rlynch356
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS

Staun deflators and a CO2 tank in the back and your done.
You do all 4 tires at once in a couple of minutes and the use the co2 when you leave, simple and works for the trail too..

Why over engineer it...

95' D90 - daily driver..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2016, 01:58 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Also, you should check with your local hospital or 4WD club. Most nurses or ER docs dont have a 4wd vehicle or dont feel comfortable in the real deep stuff. Three years ago, I transported nurses in the RR Hunter to our local hospital and a shelter that was set up at a high school off I-81. This was during a snowstorm that dumped more than 20" of snow. Truckers were parking their rigs off the interstate. We were the only vehicles out besides the plows. So...could you get a different parking space?? Barring that, do as Jonesy said and get some rapid deflaters and a CO2 tank or quick compressor. Where is the pic of your truck? That will determine if it matters to cutting it up... ha ha .
I drove around a few years ago when they closed the highways. I just put the flashers on and killed the overdrive on a grand Cherokee in 4 wd; my girlfriend was terrified. Much safer without other cars on the road
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:01 PM
FlyersFan76
Chris
1987 110 Convertible

Registry
I love driving in the snow. NOT the ice though obviously. I usually take the back roads also. Driving unplowed or under-plowed roads is much easier also. Even less people and the tire ruts help you stay where you are supposed to be.

1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #1701- Wrecked
1997 Defender 90- AA Yellow #?- Sold
2000 AM General Hummer- Sold
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:40 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan76 View Post
..... NOT the ice though obviously......
Ice?
No problem.
I have chains for all four.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old January 21st, 2016, 02:44 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Having shipped two rust free NAS trucks from CA to Maine... I can tell you the fun you had playing with them in the snow quickly fades... The surface rust you are left with lasts forever... get a beater disco for the winter
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:26 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
This isn't a NAS truck or a museum object. Its your motor Dan, do what you want with it. Waxoyl helps as do other things.
Having spent many years futzing with tire deflators and Co2 setups, I can say with some authority that would take way too effing long to do on any kind of regular basis to get in and out of a parking spot. Air suspension would be a great way to do this, but costly in time and money. FWIW in 20 years of LR'ing I have never had a proper LR (i.e. Defender or Series) broken into or messed with on DC streets. Mind you most of that parking has been with a hardtop although I used to park my soft top 88" on 16th and S back in the bad old days and never had any issues.

I would say cut down the freaking bar on the garage...

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
"People have mentioned it's been done, any links?"

Who said that it's been done?

If you want to do this, you need to have an interlocking tube clamp, with a bolt. That sliding mechanism you've drawn will only result in incredible amounts of regret.

For the cost of two months of garaged parking, you can buy stock springs and lower your truck by several inches. This just smacks of hacksaw fab, and if you can afford a DC apartment with garage parking, you can afford stock springs.
Old January 21st, 2016, 03:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
i can't wait for the snow - t go pick up some nurses....hehehehe - (Dirty Grandpa)
Old February 12th, 2016, 04:24 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Update, just went the Staun Tire Deflators + compressor w/ ARB gauge route. Not ideal, but not terrible. I can get in and out in about 3-4 min.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, top