Self-Levelling Unit - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 21st, 2015, 01:59 AM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht
2005 LR3 SE "No Name Yet"

Registry
I've read quite a few posts about the self-levelling unit being useless. In my instance, I've had heavy duty springs fitted and I don't think the unit works anyway.

I'm getting ready to remove the a-frame to replace the ball joint and bushings, so my question is whether or not I should remove the unit permanently or leave it be. Will removing this, and therefore changing the original suspension, cause my problems when I import this back to the states with me from the UK this summer?

Thanks!

KM6FDZ

2005 LR3 SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 02:07 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on this board, but with regards to self leveling units, have you followed this?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...nit-20563.html

And as far as importing to the US, of all the requirements for original drivetrain and equipment, suspension has never been mentioned. I can't imagine a scenario where that would create a problem with customs.
Old September 21st, 2015, 02:45 AM
nengelbrecht6
Nick Engelbrecht
2005 LR3 SE "No Name Yet"

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90Overkill View Post
I'm far from the most knowledgeable person on this board, but with regards to self leveling units, have you followed this?

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...nit-20563.html

And as far as importing to the US, of all the requirements for original drivetrain and equipment, suspension has never been mentioned. I can't imagine a scenario where that would create a problem with customs.
I've seen that thread and agree that the unit seems useless. I intend on taking it out, but wanted to check about the legality of it all. I can't find anything that mentions that the suspension needs to be original either. Just the engine and drivetrain needs to be as original. I just want to be sure before I make this alterations and then get caught with my pants down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2015, 02:52 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Plenty of honest, trustworthy and knowledgeable people on this board with first hand experience importing numerous defenders. UncleDouglas comes to mind first. I haven't done an import through him, or anyone for that matter, but if I did I'd hope to work with him. Everyone says he's a class act and a real nice guy to boot. So I'd send him a pm and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to put your mind at ease over the issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions