Seized wiper spindles?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Seized wiper spindles??

Anyone have this happen before? Am I missing something?

The motor went, put in a replacement and it basically fell apart from the resistance. I am on my third motor and I can't get the spindles to budge.

It seems bizarre both would seize from one day to the next. Is there a trick to this I am missing? I am about to order the spindles but thought I would reach out first.

I have a late 90's bulkhead if it makes a difference.

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2013 01:36 PM ------

Seems like it happened to at least one other person...

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/def...e-98374-2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben01 View Post
Anyone have this happen before? Am I missing something?

The motor went, put in a replacement and it basically fell apart from the resistance. I am on my third motor and I can't get the spindles to budge.

It seems bizarre both would seize from one day to the next. Is there a trick to this I am missing? I am about to order the spindles but thought I would reach out first.

I have a late 90's bulkhead if it makes a difference.

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2013 01:36 PM ------

Seems like it happened to at least one other person...

http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f7/def...e-98374-2.html
The drive is essentially a worm gear, I'm sure you know this if you have replaced multiple motors.. Its a cable with a a wound outer covering that acts as the drive. On Treys 110 the spindles were rusted solid despite the little rubber seals being in place. I kept spraying CRC Knock er loose on and grabbed each of the wiper arms and gently started working them back and forth. I got some motion so I turned the key on and bumped the wiper stalk. I essentially worked the rack through one complete rotation very slowly. I kept spraying liberal amounts of spray down the spindles. After a half hour of attention they work fine after sitting unused in a field for a decade..

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 9th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Thanks, Doug. I will give it another shot this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

Update, got them moving. One of the spindles is still giving the motor too much resistance. Apparently it is a fairly common reason for the motors going.

I'm going to replace the spindles while the whole dash is apart to be on the safe side. I don't want to have to replace the motor again.

If anyone finds this thread and needs to replace their motor, I was able to find everything assembled the second time around. The repair is a lot easier if you don't have to open up the motor assembly.
Old September 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Ben01
Ben
Defender

I actually took the spindle out and soaked it there is some rust on it and it is still causing slightly too much resistance for comfort...I want to get the dash back together so I'm replacing it at this point.

Thank you though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions