Seized rusty bolts...What did you do? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:12 PM
vw121
Pete
D90

Seized rusty bolts...What did you do?

When I tried to drop my tank guard 90% of the bolts snapped. I tried using generous amounts of PB Blaster, heating, extractors, but they will not come out. I am thinking my only option is to cut and weld on new threaded plates/studs. Am I unlucky or is this what most people had to do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

You've got bigger problems than rusty bolts....I would speculate that cross member isn't doing so well. But yes drill and tap is a way to go, save the welding for the cross member replacement.
Old September 9th, 2014, 10:36 PM
javelinadave
-
-

As always Bill has a very valid point. Not only is he is a Land Rover savant he is an expert marksman with a blow gun and a flame thrower. I would tap the rear crossmember with a small hammer and see what else gives way. From your photos, things don't look very sound and a rear crossmember is pretty easy to replace since you have the fuel tank already dropped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I soaked mine for days and tried an extractor. It worked for some, not all. The rest I cut off and had some of the pucks with the threaded holes made at the local blacksmith shop and welded them on.

And agree with the above comments on checking out the crossmember in general.
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Don't sweet it, shit happens a lot with these! The faster you come to realization that it sucks and start drilling the faster you will be done! Start small and work your way up and it shouldn't take you more then a half a day good luck! As for the skid plate I would take an air hammer or chisel and just knock those nuts off haha I said it!! Good luck! Have fun with it! Bourbon always makes it more fun for me
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:19 PM
scrubs
henery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewie212 View Post
Don't sweet it, shit happens a lot with these! The faster you come to realization that it sucks and start drilling the faster you will be done! Start small and work your way up and it shouldn't take you more then a half a day good luck! As for the skid plate I would take an air hammer or chisel and just knock those nuts off haha I said it!! Good luck! Have fun with it! Bourbon always makes it more fun for me
Well said!!!
Old September 9th, 2014, 11:46 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
As always Bill has a very valid point. Not only is he is a Land Rover savant he is an expert marksman with a blow gun and a flame thrower. I would tap the rear crossmember with a small hammer and see what else gives way. From your photos, things don't look very sound and a rear crossmember is pretty easy to replace since you have the fuel tank already dropped.
Sweet talker you...
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:09 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Wear safety glasses! One small speck of rusty metal falling into your eye will have you at the optometrist's office for extraction. It isn't fun. Been there 30 years ago.
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:15 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
Wear safety glasses! One small speck of rusty metal falling into your eye will have you at the optometrist's office for extraction. It isn't fun. Been there 30 years ago.
Lol it's funny because it's true; I always remember to wear mine, till I forget...
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:19 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

to add to the above, I have found that you can get the cradle bolts out from the top with vise grips turn to the right..... : )
Old September 10th, 2014, 08:56 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
Too many here or gone to list here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post
to add to the above, I have found that you can get the cradle bolts out from the top with vise grips turn to the right..... : )
If you have the resources, weld a nut onto the exposed stud and use a wrench.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bolts