Seized caliper piston - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Seized caliper piston

I drove my Defender about 15-20 miles with lots of braking with a rubbing sound in the front end. While replacing pads today, I noticed the front right pads were really hard to remove. Once out, the inside pad looked brand new as far as thickness but the outside pad was worn completely out. Now I can only press out the piston maybe 1/4 inch. Are there any pointers on pressing it all the out so I can get the new pads back in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2015, 05:44 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
You could try apply the brakes with no pad on that side.

If that doesn't work I have done this with an air compressor an an air chuck - the kind with a rubber tip. What you do is put the pads back in so you can pry between them, then apply air to the port and control which piston comes out with the direction you pry. The trick is to stop the "good" side coming out before the bad.

It might go without saying, but you'll want to rebuild that caliper with new seals and perhaps even pistons if they are pitted, but if you don't it will likely just stick again.

hth
charles
Old July 19th, 2015, 05:51 PM
Lindy
Eric Lindstrom
1994 d-90 #1444

Thanks! I better get on the parts house site and order that kit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions