Seems slower than I expected... - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 14th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
So I finally got the timing case opened up. I was getting some oil coming from the timing case drain hole and I was curious as to its source. Looks like it's coming through this oil pan bolt hole. The broken chunk was actually still attached to the gasket maker material. Which is nice it didn't get sucked into anything. It doesn't look like the front main seal. I'm guessing it's just not that well sealed around the hole and that's why oil is getting in. I wanted to reseal the pan anyways. My last job wasn't perfect and leaked a bit. But will that fix it? Or do I need a whole new front case?

timing looks pretty good. With the crank at 12 o'clock on the mark the crank timing mark looked pretty close. So we should be good there. I think if I move the pump sprocket one tooth forward I will be in the center of the holes and not hard to the side of one. As you can see the bolt holes are right on the edge. So that's why I could advance the timing any more. So moving it a tooth should put me in the center and then I can get it dialed in.

But this bolt hole breaking through into the case has me wondering. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks,
Pete
why did you remove those three injection pump bolts ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2015, 10:24 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I have a 300tdi. But I suppose they are pretty similar. The pump I have is err4046. An egr pump on a non egr engine. I would rather get the correct pump on the engine. I assume there isn't much difference other than the lift at tdc setting. I could possibly have someone rebuild my err4046 pump to err4419 specs, but I'd like to remove that potential issue from the equation.
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:26 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
I have a 300tdi. But I suppose they are pretty similar. The pump I have is err4046. An egr pump on a non egr engine. I would rather get the correct pump on the engine. I assume there isn't much difference other than the lift at tdc setting. I could possibly have someone rebuild my err4046 pump to err4419 specs, but I'd like to remove that potential issue from the equation.
They are a Bosch place, they should be able to do 300tdi pumps as well. Was just saying they have done multiple 200tdi pumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 14th, 2015, 10:29 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Doug I took off the bolts to get the pulley off to clean it when replacing the timing belt. After it was all back together I used a dual gauge to get the pump set correctly at tdc.

Also that oil drip was from the front main. It's been all good since I replaced the seal. I don't think any of the oil was from that pan bolt.
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:36 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Something is wrong with your pump.

My 130 on 12x35 inch tires with lift, winch bumper, loaded with recovery gear etc and a 1.2 transfer case would run 80 mph easily- never went faster because handling was sketchy. Granted it's a manual but the automatic doesn't make that much of a difference.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old November 20th, 2015, 04:07 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Well before I ship the pump off I thought I'd try the fuel screw on the back of the pump. Had to dremel off the anti tamper thing. I did a 1/4 turn and didn't notice much. Then another 1/4 turn and I'm about 5 mph faster on the road. Still not really any smoke so I will give it some more and see what happens. Keeping a good eye on the egts.
Does this fuel screw have a crush washer on it that needs to be potentially replaced?
Old November 20th, 2015, 04:27 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Well before I ship the pump off I thought I'd try the fuel screw on the back of the pump. Had to dremel off the anti tamper thing. I did a 1/4 turn and didn't notice much. Then another 1/4 turn and I'm about 5 mph faster on the road. Still not really any smoke so I will give it some more and see what happens. Keeping a good eye on the egts.
Does this fuel screw have a crush washer on it that needs to be potentially replaced?
Did turning the screw make your idle stronger ? On several dogged tdi's where they were shaking @ idle etc I have turned that screw until the idle came up but it is best not to go any further. This is the max fueling screw. It will likely make smoke if you floor the truck. Its a diesel with a mechanical pump, you should be able to see some smoke when driving enthusiastically.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old January 8th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I checked the compression tonight and all was good there. Just wanted to be sure before I bought a new injection pump. So now pump is ordered and should be on the way shortly.

Turning up the max fueling screw seemed to have a little effect on the idle but not a lot.

I'll probably replace injectors at the same time. I bought a spare set and new lines. Might as well go all shiny. And then I'll send off the old injectors and see what their condition are/is.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions