Seems slower than I expected... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 10th, 2015, 08:59 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
It's a LR 4 cylinder turbo diesel... that's the problem. You could have had a V8. Queuing Robert Davis, is there a Robert Davis in the building?
Wrote a song about it.
I know you wanna hear it.
Here it go:

Pulled out on the highway...
Petal all the way down...
A car 5 miles back...
Almost raaan me down!
Barely made it to 50...
Exhaust pipe was a smokiinn...
Came to an incline...
Now it's a slowing
wayyyy downnnnn!

Thank you very much, thank you very much.
It's no iambic hexameter.
But, thank you very very much.

And for the next number: why engine conversions are so popular...

Peter:
What does it do on the flat @ sea level?
That should be a baseline for performance to check out your "real speeds", then compare to performance at different elevations.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Sounds like you are onto the problem with the fuel pump

Are your EGT readings pre turbo or post turbo?

Boost also seems a little low, isnt a factory 300Tdi about 17-18psi? Just going from memory could be way off there.
Old June 10th, 2015, 01:49 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Maybe moving the sprocket ahead a tooth would give me the play I need?
Definitely possible, although I would personally double check the pip marking / alignment on the all the timing gears regardless. Make sure the camshaft gear is aligned as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2015, 08:33 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

So I finally got the timing case opened up. I was getting some oil coming from the timing case drain hole and I was curious as to its source. Looks like it's coming through this oil pan bolt hole. The broken chunk was actually still attached to the gasket maker material. Which is nice it didn't get sucked into anything. It doesn't look like the front main seal. I'm guessing it's just not that well sealed around the hole and that's why oil is getting in. I wanted to reseal the pan anyways. My last job wasn't perfect and leaked a bit. But will that fix it? Or do I need a whole new front case?

timing looks pretty good. With the crank at 12 o'clock on the mark the crank timing mark looked pretty close. So we should be good there. I think if I move the pump sprocket one tooth forward I will be in the center of the holes and not hard to the side of one. As you can see the bolt holes are right on the edge. So that's why I could advance the timing any more. So moving it a tooth should put me in the center and then I can get it dialed in.

But this bolt hole breaking through into the case has me wondering. What do you guys recommend?
Thanks,
Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	127701  
Old August 21st, 2015, 08:34 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Broken hole
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	127703  
Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I took off the timing belt today and got to look at the crank seal. It was full of oil between the lips of the seal and it was wet at the base of the seal. So I'll replace that also.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:59 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
IIRC what you describe as a "hole", (looks more like a crack?) is just a crack in the plate.

Just the wall of the short block behind there IIRC.

Any idea how the crack occurred?
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:05 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Are you using the timing mark on the flywheel? Don't just look at the crankshaft. That will be nowhere near accurate enough.

Make sure you do the cam seal as well and the idlers.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

By hole I was meaning bolt hole, not the hole or depression in the back of the case. The bolt hole or where you can see the top of the bolt now, it looks like I got some gasket maker material in there. So after I set the pan and let it sit, and then followed up with the torque pattern, that's when I popped/cracked the bolt hole end of the casing. Not much room in the bolt hole for anything else.
But I have a hard time believing the bolt hole being exposed would contribute much to the oil I found. That shouldn't have any pressure behind it to force it into the timing case. Seeing the crank seal full of oil and it wet around the seal makes me think that was the issue after all.

Correct I was using the timing marks. I also had the tdc set with the pin in the flywheel and the crank was in line with the marks in the 12 o'clock position. The camshaft as pictured looks like it's correct as well. I did pick up a crank seal to make sure I get that out of the way.

So lots of goodies on the way now. I'll get it all in next weekend hopefully and run it for a bit with the timing case open to see if there is any more leaks.
Old October 25th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Well got the timing all fixed. Actually advanced it a bit. That change has made things slightly better but there is still some issue. 55 on the flat is all it will do without keeping it pinned for too long and raising egts to high. Even then it's hard to keep it in 4th, it can't hold the speed in that gear for long.
I also adjusted the valves but they were all pretty good.
So I guess start looking at adjusting the fueling on the IP? Any other ideas?
Was considering trying to find another rover local and swapping tires and seeing what effect that has.
Old October 25th, 2015, 10:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezzzzzzz View Post
It's a LR 4 cylinder turbo diesel... that's the problem. You could have had a V8. Queuing Robert Davis, is there a Robert Davis in the building?
Sure, but 55 is way too low. I can do 90 in mine.

Old October 26th, 2015, 12:10 AM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
Just curious if you guys are using real mph speed from the speedometer or GPS speed? My speedo is way off with bigger diameter tires.

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:27 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Yep it's real mph. I have a vdo speedo that has been calibrated so it reads true. GPS verified. John what size tires do you run?
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

With my 31" tires, standard diff gearing, 1.2 TC, and the Zf auto does the same rpm's as the 5 speed in 5th, and I'm turning 2200-2300 at 62-65 mph.
Old October 26th, 2015, 12:47 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
At this point, I wonder if you can just get the truck on a dyno (or even use a free iphone/android app)

It's difficult to diagnose a butt dyno over the web
Old October 26th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Yep it's real mph. I have a vdo speedo that has been calibrated so it reads true. GPS verified. John what size tires do you run?
I have 32s and 34s. Does not really matter. I have boost and fueling turned up and probably can do more than 90. But, I've tested driven a fair few TDIs and they all can do 75 quite easily. That is normally my test to see if the engine is okay. It should pull happily up to 70 and then start to level off.

And, yesy, real speed figures verified by GPS.

Old November 14th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I went into the IP and started to adjust the diaphragm setting and came to find that it was already at the max anyways. So needless to say any adjustments made things worse. I could see where the pin was riding up and down the cone so it appears that it is getting boost signal. I'm going to make an adapter and get a gauge on it to make sure.
Old November 14th, 2015, 12:51 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
I disagree with John's definition of "easy".

It might be easy at 0 degree grade or negative grade, but any uphill makes it much less easy. "Easy" to me implies that the 200tdi Defender is like a 110hp Honda Fit. It's not.
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:13 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Looking at lrdirect.com, what do you suppose the difference between the Bosch and Allmakes brand of pumps are? Truly different rebuilders? Different quality of seals used? 1k vs. 1.5k......
https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR4419-Inj...keep_https=yes
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Looking at lrdirect.com, what do you suppose the difference between the Bosch and Allmakes brand of pumps are? Truly different rebuilders? Different quality of seals used? 1k vs. 1.5k......
https://www.lrdirect.com/ERR4419-Inj...keep_https=yes
Metro Fuel Injection in Massachusets has rebuilt atleast 6-7 of these Bosch 200tdi pumps, give them a call, I have used them for another pump as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions