I have been super busy - but I wanted to close this thread out with the final results of this project.
I eventually removed all of the axle parts back to the axle tube. From there, I started to reassemble.
The axle swivel balls are unique to the Stage One. They are basically a Series part that has been machined inside to allow for the larger CV joint (vice the small universal joint). I could have bought new Series parts and spent a lot of time trying to remove enough internal material to make room for the CVs - but I did not. Since there was only limited rust and pitting on my Stage One chrome, I cleaned with up, filled the pitting in with heavy amounts of paint, and wet sanded everything back super smooth.
My railco bushings were fine as was my axle bearings. I did not notice on disassembly that the pre-load drag on one wheel was a lot more than the prescribed 8 pounds indicated in the repair manual. I cleaned all of this up, lubricated, and put it back together using the fish scale and new shims.
I used the Defender CVs. They are actually both shorter and fatter than the Stage One CVs. The short part is handled by the bolt and washer as described above. That fatter part means that you can not slide the axle in or out of the swivel housing. It is just a millimeter too larger. You have to bolt the swivel to the axle tube, insert the CV axle, and then assemble the outer section of the swivel assembly. This is no big deal - but will make trail side repairs very challenging.
Brakes and so forth was just remove and put back together. I had the pleasure of one of my bleeders being stuck. I destroyed it in my usual ham fisted approach to repair. Eventually, I took the whole wheel cylinder off, put it in a vice, and got the stuck bleeder out.
Similarly with the tie rod ends... I had to remove the steering tie rods. I discovered that one was maybe just a little worn and the other side was destroyed during removal (pickle fork and a BFH). I eventually replaced both when I put it back together.
I know I do not have to mention it - but yes, multiple original bolts gave their life in the battle of this repair.
Summarized, the project included;
- Two new early defender cv axles (short - wheel side)
- New swivel oil seals with new retainers
- A hand full of new hardware to include several BSF nuts and bolts, new lock tabs, shims, and regular SAE fine hardware
- 2 new tie rod ends
- Two new hub caps
- Gaskets galore
- 90 wt oil
- Tons of brake clean
The photos below show the length difference at the hub for the new axles and other stages of the repair.
Taking things apart.....
End of the axle showing the amount of float.....
Bad brake bleeder
A little cleaning along the way....