Seeking Advice on Importing from Italy - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 18th, 2016, 10:46 AM
trader2318
scott
1997 D90 NAS

Seeking Advice on Importing from Italy

Hello All-

I am looking to bring a 25 year + D110 in to the USA and was looking for advice from someone who has real world knowledge of the Italian DMV situation. I have googled rather thoroughly yet its still a bit vague. While if i buy from a dealer, they should handle most of the paperwork, should I buy private I will be responsible. I just want to have a firm grasp of the steps involved (ie how to) to access the situation.

While I am also looking in the UK, I will post a separate thread to keep this Italian...

I am speaking with the customs/boarder etc next week to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Much thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2016, 10:49 AM
trader2318
scott
1997 D90 NAS

UK to USA direct export adice

Hello All-

I am looking to bring a 25 year + D110 in to the USA and was looking for advice from someone who has real world knowledge of the UK DMV situation. I have googled rather thoroughly yet its still a bit vague. While if i buy from a dealer, they should handle most of the paperwork, should I buy private I will be responsible. I just want to have a firm grasp of the steps involved to access the situation.

I am looking to take the truck direct to export.
Is the situation any different if the truck is a ex mod?

Much thanks,
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:17 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Contact Uncle Douglas on this forum he did my import and was well worth it for a hassle free experience. Click here Home
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Same advice I gave you on your other thread. Get ahold of Uncle Douglas.
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:25 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
merged
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:28 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Same advice I gave you on your other thread. Get ahold of Uncle Douglas.
That's not a valid answer, or how about it's not the only answer, and certainly not the answer the OP was looking for.

Scott, if you (strategically) google a bit you will get some answers on this. If i was interested in pulling a car out of Italy, I would ping "fruitpunch" on here, he has brought many vehicles over from IT.

I would try and google and talk to people more before you contact him just so you have a better understanding of the process. I have no expierence from Europe but I did import my 110 into the US, from my experience you shouldn't have to get anything additional from DMV, you just get a bill of sale, and get the registration/proof of ownership. I can recommend a custom's broker who can setup shipping and handle the customs forms, or according to "fruitpunch" you can DIY both of those steps and you cut another cost out of the process.
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Actually it IS a valid answer. CBP is looking for any reason to seize these trucks. Go ahead and make a mistake on your import documents and let me know how that works out for you.

When I picked up my truck at the port of Brunswick there were well over a dozen Defenders that had "Seized" placards stuck all over them. They are not joking around at the port. I used Doug and my truck had zero problems at the port and all paper work was on time and organized. It was just too easy.

So he can go ahead and do it on his own using the internet (because everything is true on the internet) and take his chances that he got everything right or hire a guy who has been importing them for years and knows exactly what the fuck he is doing so he can sleep well at night knowing a professional is taking care of business.
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:08 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Ok my name has come up I might as well say something here.

Getting a truck form Italy... you need Certicato di propritario (mind my spelling I am pulling this out of my brain as I type ) , Bill of Sale (get one in English) fill out HS7 and 3520 ... your BoL (after you get it from shipper ) and your Arrival Notice

With all that you can go to customs and clear it, they can give you a headache if they want that the Certificate of Propertario is in Italian, but if the Bill of Sale is in English and the VIN on all paperwork matches the generally don't or they have never to me, they did mention it a few times it should be translated which I was never made to do.

Shipping Kline out of Pisa to Southhampton form there across the pond.

And all other rules apply, get an original LR pre 4/1991 without and modifications to engine, frame ...

what am I missing ? my last shipment was already pre cleared on the boat I was able to clear them within 24h of them landing in Newark, the only hold was Agricultural hold which is normal. If they did look at them they did it quickly if your truck looks like it's 30 years old then it's not hard now if you get it pimpped up before you ship it they will certainly look at it.... and yes Uncle Douglas does fine work.
Old March 18th, 2016, 01:09 PM
trader2318
scott
1997 D90 NAS

I thank you all for your contributions to this thread. Over the next week I may reach out to you, post more googleing.

One last question that came to mind,,,, I know the rule to limit problems is a stock vehicle... What do you think about one with a aftermarket bumper and winch?

Again, thank you.
Old March 18th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
If you go to the Classified section under Vehicles for Sale there is a sticky thread titled "Whats legal? Frame Swaps, Importing, etc" it will tell you all you need to know and more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, export, import