Sedimentors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Sedimentors

My 200tdi does not have a sedimentor and I know there are mixed feelings on whether they are actually needed or not.

So my question is whether to source a LR one, or am I better off finding another brand readily available here in the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

My 200 doesn't have one, but my 300 does, perhaps due to its military origins. That said, it's one of those LR ones with the plastic drain plug that folks say will automatically break, if you try to loosen it.

If you really one, I would suggest that you find a marine unit that is a little more robust.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

What does it do that the filter won't? Or does it just prolong filter life?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:46 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
My 200tdi does not have a sedimentor and I know there are mixed feelings on whether they are actually needed or not.

So my question is whether to source a LR one, or am I better off finding another brand readily available here in the US.
Mixed feelings? I've never heard of a credible rationale to NOT have a water sedimenter. Get a Racor or similar and be done with it.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnrvrs View Post

Mixed feelings? I've never heard of a credible rationale to NOT have a water sedimenter. Get a Racor or similar and be done with it.
There are a lot of people on this board (and this thread) that don't have one, and/or don't think they need one. I get the idea for a need for one, but I've survived for 3 years without one.

------ Follow up post added November 22nd, 2012 04:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Karlsson View Post
My 200 doesn't have one, but my 300 does, perhaps due to its military origins. That said, it's one of those LR ones with the plastic drain plug that folks say will automatically break, if you try to loosen it.

If you really one, I would suggest that you find a marine unit that is a little more robust.
That's the crux of my question, what aftermarket options are there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Install one if for no other eason than to seperate water from fuel when you get a bad batch once every couple of years to save your engine you should have one. Even if you never drive off road.

I drove my 200 for years and my current 300 for years before I picked a bad tanks of fuel one Sunday night @ 11pm just as all the stations were closing. This as I drove into the blue ridge mountains. I went about 10 miles before the trcuk started bucking. I stopped many many times to open the water drain @ the bottom of the stock filter. The truck was running so poorly that I pulled some grades in 2nd but I had no real choice but to push on. I made it the 65 miles to the next town where I was able to buy some diesel HEET and I poured 3 can of that crap in the tank and the truck smoothed out progressively as I continued on. The next day I drain the remaining fuel and installed an new filter to replace the water logged one. That engine lived three weeks before the no 1 piston and rod came through the block.

A sedimenter would have seperated the water from the fuel and none of it would have eer made it to the injection pump or engine.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 22nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The argument isn't whether I need one- I do want to install one. I am looking for advice on whether to go LR or aftermarket. Anyone used an aftermarket version?

Semper Fi!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Rovahfarm has this one:

http://www.rovahfarm.com/defenderfuelsystem.htm
Diesel Fuel Sedimentor Assembly 'DELPHI'
Ref: NRC9708G / Price $55.95
About 1/4 the way down the page. Seems pretty reasonable on price.

Buddy of mine in his 03 duramax had to get new injectors last winter after a bad batch of fuel at the little America wyoming I80 truck stop. He went through a mess of filters in a hurry and the had the tank drained and they said it was real bad. So $2k later he was rolling again. Hope he doesn't get anymore problems.

I think I might put one in as well.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer
Rovahfarm has this one:

http://www.rovahfarm.com/defenderfuelsystem.htm
Diesel Fuel Sedimentor Assembly 'DELPHI'
Ref: NRC9708G / Price $55.95
About 1/4 the way down the page. Seems pretty reasonable on price.

Buddy of mine in his 03 duramax had to get new injectors last winter after a bad batch of fuel at the little America wyoming I80 truck stop. He went through a mess of filters in a hurry and the had the tank drained and they said it was real bad. So $2k later he was rolling again. Hope he doesn't get anymore problems.

I think I might put one in as well.
Yeah, saw those. I was thinking they were more expensive. Worth the minor expense.

Semper Fi!
Old November 22nd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
really happy with my Racors. and my front bowl has an electric heater for extreme cold. you can add on options like water sensors and such too.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:40 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

http://search.defender.com/?expressi...er%20separator
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

The stock one is garbage. The drain plug seizes and it would probably break if forced so I have to unscrew the whole thing to clean it. I would go with Racor or Stanadyne. I'm very happy with my Stanadyne .2 micron fuel filter so I might replace the old sedimentor with a Stanadyne pre filter and water separator. Stanadynes water separator is clear so you can see if there is water in the fuel without removing it. Link: http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication

Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Does anyone have a specific Racor or Stanadyne model they recommend? Many are listed and gas/water separators, will that matter for diesel, or do I need diesel specific one?

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:45 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm not familiar with Racor. I got the Stanadyne FM100 filter assembly from thedieselstore.com. Water separator and fuel filter heater attachments are separate. No diesel specific filter just pick the micron filter you want and the correct size mounts to fit your fuel hoses.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Does anyone have a specific Racor or Stanadyne model they recommend? Many are listed and gas/water separators, will that matter for diesel, or do I need diesel specific one?
Racor 200 series, e.g. 230 would be a good choice. As Mark mentioned, plenty of options.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:31 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So, the next question, why not just install a Racor 230 fuel/water filter in place of the stock fuel filter?

And, does anyone make a spin water/fuel filter element for LRs?

And what Micron level?

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

You could. You don't need the sedimentor. It's just extra insurance. The idea of the sedimentor is similar to that of a pre-filter. To remove crud and water before it gets to the fuel filter.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
You could. You don't need the sedimentor. It's just extra insurance. The idea of the sedimentor is similar to that of a pre-filter. To remove crud and water before it gets to the fuel filter.
That kinda defeats the whole purpose of this thread. I am wanting to instal a sedimentor. So I am saying why not install a unit that does both in place of the stock filter?

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:24 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The point of the sedimentor is to protect the lift pump.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes, you can do that. I replaced my stock fuel filter (under the hood) with a FM100 head with a 0.2 Micron 6" fuel filter that can accommodate both heater and water separator attachments. I still have my stock sedimentor installed (under rear wheel well).

Quote:
That kinda defeats the whole purpose of this thread. I am wanting to instal a sedimentor. So I am saying why not install a unit that does both in place of the stock filter?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions