Sedimentors - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:15 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
Good point, I'll do that, thanks. Maybe somewhere I'll see if I can find somewhere on the inner wing before it goes into the life pump.
Just be smart about it so that you can see the bowl and reach the drain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:32 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Just be smart about it so that you can see the bowl and reach the drain.
I'm concerned about introducing air into the system while its being plumbed up... any ideas?
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:39 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I'm concerned about introducing air into the system while its being plumbed up... any ideas?
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your sedimentor should have a little hand pump to get fuel to it, then just fire up your truck. You can also prime your lift pump and crack the bleeder to get air out.

Mine fired right up after just priming the sedimentor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2013, 06:02 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

I finished putting a sedimentor in, along with a new fuel line and filter for the Racor 230R and just came back from a test run. Though it started and idled ok after priming the lift pump and turning it over a few times, it still has air in the system, I can hear the bubbling in the tank when I stop or it stalls(due to air I assume) so I'll need to bleed mine further. Maybe it's working it out and that's what the bubbling is about. I used a 60ml syringe and pumped diesel into the line coming from the sedimentor to the pump (from the lift pump end) to fill the remainder of the sedimentor and get some in the line. If you are going to use the Delphi unit, it doesn't have a priming pump.

I think the reason the sedimentor is down low on the frame is to better collect water, which will settle to the lowest point.
Old January 31st, 2013, 10:35 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

The air will purge

As long as you have no air leaking in, the air will work it's way out on it's own.

On all our diesels, we mount a low pressure 12V fuel pump after the sedimenter which is always close to the tank. That way when the filter is changed or sedimenter drained the 12V pump takes care of any air in the system.

Was rushed to get the Mercedes powered 110 on the road for the Conclave and had not install a 12V pump and sedimenter yet. Then a few weeks later went to Uwharrie, but ran it out of fuel about 60 miles from home. My gauge will never go below a certain spot that is higher than empty... When the fuel light flashes you have about 100 yards of driving before running out of fuel.

After dumping a water can and walking up the ramp, got some diesel in the can and dumped it in the tank. I'll bet I pumped the hand primer on the lift pump 300 times and it never started. Finally a guy in a pickup pulled me up the ramp with an orange 50 foot extension cord looped between the 2 vehicles a half dozen times. He drove and I was in 5th gear. It finally started and ran poorly with it floored for a few minutes until the air purged.

The next weekend installed a 12V pump and a few weeks later drove it to Mike Van Curen's funeral about a 400 mile round trip.
On the way home ran out of fuel again, but managed to coast to a diesel pump. Put a few gallons in and switched on the ignition to pump fuel through. Then jept filling the tank. By the time it was filled, the air was already purged and it started and drove immediately and never missed a beat.

Now the only thing left is to replace the sending unit in the tank.

After all the trouble I've had purging air in diesel vehicles, I always take the time to install a 12V pump and problem solved (sooner or later)!!!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old February 1st, 2013, 05:51 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Speaking of air, when I was at Conclave I suspected a clogged fuel line as the truck was running sporadically rough. I disconnected the fuel supply at the pump, blew air back in to the tank, and reconnected. Just to see if it worked, I cranked the truck over. To my surprises it fired up and smoothed out pretty quick. No issues since.

Semper Fi!
Old February 1st, 2013, 09:21 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Speaking of air, when I was at Conclave I suspected a clogged fuel line as the truck was running sporadically rough. I disconnected the fuel supply at the pump, blew air back in to the tank, and reconnected. Just to see if it worked, I cranked the truck over. To my surprises it fired up and smoothed out pretty quick. No issues since.
This situation should be less frequent with a sedimenter or not happen at all.
It might be worth looking in the tank if it keeps up.
A simple siphon hose works like a vacuum cleaner to suck trash out of the tank.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old February 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Sedimenter Pictures and 12V Low Pressure Fuel Pump

Several people asked for pictures.
Notice the steel drain thumb screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010044.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	65601   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010045.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	65602  

Name:	P1010042.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	65603   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010043.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	65604  

Old December 21st, 2015, 03:08 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Im debating where to put my sedimentor. I think this is the stock location but not sure if it's safe down there with rocks and the trailing arm coming up to hit it. Anyone else put one down there on the outside of the frame?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7278.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	137626   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7279.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	137627  

1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old December 21st, 2015, 03:21 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have mine on the outside of the frame. But I don't go off road, but it looks pretty high and out of the way.

Old December 21st, 2015, 03:34 PM
Greenbull
Mark Miller
1994 Defender 90NAS #1258

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Several people asked for pictures.
Notice the steel drain thumb screw.
Robert did you wire the pump to an on off switch, or the ignition key?
Old December 21st, 2015, 03:43 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I did ignition key via 12V relay:
86 Key On/Off (+)
85 (-)
87 (+) 12V Pump
30 (+) Battery lead from starter

Old December 21st, 2015, 05:59 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88 View Post
Im debating where to put my sedimentor. I think this is the stock location but not sure if it's safe down there with rocks and the trailing arm coming up to hit it. Anyone else put one down there on the outside of the frame?
I stuffed mine up by the fuel tank. It hasn't been injured in 3,000 trail miles since it was installed.

Sedimenter by Chris, on Flickr

/
/
/
/
Old December 21st, 2015, 06:05 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I stuffed mine up by the fuel tank. It hasn't been injured in 3,000 trail miles since it was installed.

Sedimenter by Chris, on Flickr
Nice, I need to see if I have room on the 90. but that area is nice and safe.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old January 7th, 2016, 08:07 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Chris, that is a great location! I just fitted my RD Sediementer in the same location. Even uses the same mount as the stock plastic one.

I'm also replacing the tubing with hose. Because the hose has a much larger OD, has anyone found a good alternative to hold the hose in place? Are there replacement clips that fit in the stock clip locations for the stock fuel line tubing that fit 1/4 hose?

-Neil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions