Sedimentors - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I have 2 racors. both are the spin on series. diesel specific. I have a 60 micron in the rear as my prefilter and a 10 micron under the bonnet as my primary. This is what Pendy installs for all his conversions.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Same banjo bolt setup or are they barbed npt fittings?
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer
Same banjo bolt setup or are they barbed npt fittings?
They are 1/4-18 NPTF ports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I've been happy with my Racor. They don't make the particular one anymore, but do make similar units.
Racor has charts to show which filter series you want for a given fuel rate. The one I have is a filter/sedimenter with a clear bowl and a high water level warning light & buzzer. I haven't looked at their web site recently but I'm pretty sure they still make a similar unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The point of the sedimentor is to protect the lift pump.
Fuel lift pumps usually have no issues pumping water through. IMO the more important component to protect is the injection pump.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old November 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I've been happy with my Racor. They don't make the particular one anymore, but do make similar units.
Racor has charts to show which filter series you want for a given fuel rate. The one I have is a filter/sedimenter with a clear bowl and a high water level warning light & buzzer. I haven't looked at their web site recently but I'm pretty sure they still make a similar unit.

Fuel lift pumps usually have no issues pumping water through. IMO the more important component to protect is the injection pump.
The main filter protects the pump and sizing is more for the injectors. Tests have shown that very high filtration dramatically increases injector life. Running a 2 micron filter is a very good idea and costs no more that the 15 micron stock filter.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I have 2 racors. both are the spin on series. diesel specific. I have a 60 micron in the rear as my prefilter and a 10 micron under the bonnet as my primary. This is what Pendy installs for all his conversions.
Clarification on the filters I use as I'm sure Pendy wouldn't want this mistated since I referenced him. My rear pre-filter is a a Racor R60P (30 micron) and the primary is a R45S (2 micron). Red90's comments prompted me to double check my facts.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So why get one with a built in heater? Would that help with cold starts? Or I assume it's for extreme temps?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

It's not usually built in. It's an optional attachment. Mine kicks in anytime below 40 degrees and warms the fuel. Prevents gelling and crystals in the diesel when it's cold: http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...ish/91-1R3.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication
So why get one with a built in heater? Would that help with cold starts? Or I assume it's for extreme temps?
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:54 AM
grnrvrs
Paul

Helps to prevent gelling of the fuel is cold temps.
Old November 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thanks for everyone's help. I ended up getting a Racor R230R2.

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
The main filter protects the pump and sizing is more for the injectors. Tests have shown that very high filtration dramatically increases injector life. Running a 2 micron filter is a very good idea and costs no more that the 15 micron stock filter.
My point was that the injection pump is more prone to damage from water than the lift pump is.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old January 24th, 2013, 05:57 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Anyone have a problem with their Racor R230 leaking at the gasket seams, and pump? I pulled the 2nd one out today, both leaked from what looked like various places. Racor states a PSI limit of 30, does the lift pump build more than that?
Old January 24th, 2013, 08:30 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Sedimenter is needed and the CAV ones are easy to find.

Many diesel supply places have them. They are always on ebay.
Some have glass bottoms to see the trapped water.
Some also have metal thumb screws.

They trap both water and particulate and extend the life of the real fuel filter.

The racor filters advertised as water traps are just a filter with a lower cavity that provides a place where water can settle. There is no magic there...

Sedimenters have an inverted funnel shaped cone at the top and a large open space. Fuel enters and comes out in the top center of the inverted cone that creates a fuel current to force the fuel down to the bottom where water and particulate are deposited. The clean fuel then rises and makes its way around the outside of the housing and finally cone, then exits.

This simple device should be mandatory on all diesels.
Gave one to Doug after his water debacle and run one in every diesel conversion I drive.

When my son drove his 1993 LWB (Isuzu 4JB1-T) back from NY to VA, the sedimenter was 3/4 full of water and had some sediment that looked like mayonnaise, but it never missed a beat @ 70+ MPH.

Years ago installed one in our 1983 Mercedes 300TD that would only drive for a few miles before the fuel filter clogged up.
Tried over a half dozen filters and no joy.
So added a sedimenter, 12V fuel pump, then fuel filter (in that order) and drove it for the next 6 months about 60 miles a day with no issues.
We sold it so decided to check it before the new owner picked it up and the sedimenter was 3/4 full of rust particles.
Most were as fine as baby powder... so checked the fuel filter and it looked brand new and had no rust.
The sedimenter had trapped it all.
This was a very impressive discovery

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:15 PM
GM13
Gene
'83 110 CSW

Seems the only effective place to separate water out is BEFORE the lift pump.
Racors et al want to be on the vacuum side, after the LP they are dealing with an emulsion churned by the pump, much less effective at separating at that stage, though obviously they'll collect something.

side note: I found some info re fuel pressure after the LP: 6-8 psi, can anyone confirm that?
Old January 25th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I seriously doubt the lift pump will emulsify any water. It is a simple diaphragm pump.

Old January 25th, 2013, 09:06 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Water emulsion...

Water emulsion... ie the blending of water with fuel does happen, but with diesel and water is not as common as you might think under normal circumstances.
To test take a bottle of some sort and fill it with equal parts of diesel and water.
Mark the separation line with a marker or piece of tape.
Shake it up as violently as possible.
Then let it stand upright for 10 minutes and observe the separation.
It will be the same or close according to the separation mark.
The colder the mixture the more the mixing.
The sedimenter will work before or after the lift pump and catch the water.

Apply heat to 140 deg F+ and all emulsified water will start to settle to the bottom of any fuel.

So do the same with veg oil or bio-diesel and it will mix much better than plain old diesel.
BUT
Apply some heat to the veg or bio-diesel and like magic the fuel stays on top and the water stays on the bottom.

Water and fuel will GENERALLY (but not always) form a mixture and not a chemical compound meaning it separates easily.

What's the big deal with WATER and why a sedimenter???

Water will etch injectors and the injection pump.
It can also cause rust and a red mud type putty to form in the fuel and injection systems as well as the cylinders.
I sent a 300DI pump to Elton at Blue Ridge that was not rebuildable because of water contamination and as a result... just shipped it to Bill Adams for parts...

Also have no idea how or why, but just took a 300TDI engine apart that was difficult to turn over and found that it had a load of redish paste in #4cyl. Water got in and as it evaporated red sludge paste was left behind.

So who knows the approximation of water emulsification...

Sedimenters are a must... and heat helps them work under cold conditions!

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:51 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I just ordered a sedimentor as well, Is there any engineering reason why I'd have to mount it down along a frame rail, etc? How about right before the actual fuel filter on the bulkhead?
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I just ordered a sedimentor as well, Is there any engineering reason why I'd have to mount it down along a frame rail, etc? How about right before the actual fuel filter on the bulkhead?
Well, you want it between the tank and the lift pump. It is to protect the lift pump.

Old January 31st, 2013, 03:01 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I mounted mine close to the stock location in the rear wheel well on the frame. There the bowl is visible and accessible. I plan on at least fabricating a shield to protect it from road debris.

Semper Fi!
Old January 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

Quote:
Well, you want it between the tank and the lift pump. It is to protect the lift pump.
Good point, I'll do that, thanks. Maybe somewhere I'll see if I can find somewhere on the inner wing before it goes into the life pump.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions