Security options for a '97 console... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 25th, 2007, 03:43 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Security options for a '97 console...

Hey guys, I am going on a 20,000 mile road trip in my truck this Summer and I wanted to get a Tuffy Lock Box for the center console. The I realized that the console on the '97 is all one enormous piece.

So, my question is, is there any way to make a Tuffy box work in a '97? If not, what are my other options for the console area? I really don't want to have my headunit walk off on me.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Don't lock it! If a thief wants your head unit, make it easy for him. You cannot buy parts for your console if someone destroys it getting your stereo.

Option is to take it completely out then have someone fabricate a tuffy type box. Hold on to or sell the original. I think Mike at ECR was looking for origional consoles a while back.

Donít do what I a guy in Utah did a few years ago and saw the plastic consol in half then install a regular tuffy. It looked like sh!t. and, ruined a highly sought after part. Put a lockable box in the back and bolt it to the floor.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepsoup
Hey guys, I am going on a 20,000 mile road trip in my truck this Summer
Where in the F#(& are you going to drive 20,000 miles --in a summer--(I had to ask) You will spend $6K on fuel alone! You will have to spend a min of 3 hours a day driving 7 days a week for 4 months to cover that kind of ground. Have you driven long distances in a Defender? Are you going to tow a U-haul full of spare parts?

Buy your plane tickets in advance Grasshopper.
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Thanks for the advice on the console. I think I will take your advice, and just not put anything of value in there to begin with. The headunit was cheap and can be replaced easier than the console itself, so thanks again.

As for the roadtrip, I appreciate your optimism. We are looking at driving about 5 or 6 hours a day for 60 days. My best friend and I have been talking about doing something like this since high school and we both know that if we don't do it now, we'll probably never get another chance. We're leaving June 3rd and returning August 3rd (hopefully), and we will spend a good deal of time on the road. When we aren't driving, we will be spending time seeing all of the amazing places in the country that we've never seen before and a hefty portion of our time will be spent rock climbing in a lot of the premier sites in every region.

I realize this is an ambitious endeavor, and that's why we are preparing so far in advance. I am trying to make the truck as absolutely roadtrip-worthy as possible, but yes, we are planning on taking some common parts for emergency maintenance and I have been programming every Rover dealer in the country into my GPS for adverse circumstances.

I'll have more on my roadtrip when the time comes, but in the meantime I need to work out a few gremlins so I'm doing a lot of reading on here, and I'll have questions when problems present themselves.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2007, 08:11 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
If you head to the Gunks or Senica and need a belay I may be up for some climbs.( depending when your here) I assume you will hit these areas if you are headed east. If you want some recomendations for routes in vegas I have some favorites. also J-Tree.
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

check out LenB posts. He makes some really nice stuff and I know that he made a console for the 97.

http://www.americandirtroads.com/catcenterconsole.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjekogian
If you head to the Gunks or Senica and need a belay I may be up for some climbs.( depending when your here) I assume you will hit these areas if you are headed east. If you want some recomendations for routes in vegas I have some favorites. also J-Tree.

Cool, thanks! Most of our climbing will be spent bouldering, but we will certainly be up east for a while. We have to check out Rumney! Vegas is going to be a fun part of the trip, and I'd love to field your suggestions if you've done some climbing out there.

Also, Joshua Tree is a must, and I can't wait to get out there. We've got about 25 different spots chosen so far, but we will climb whenever and wherever we get the chance.
Old January 28th, 2007, 12:26 AM
ScottYates
Scott Yates
94 D90 #639, Yellow

I can hook you up with the climbs in Vedawoo National Park between Laramie and Cheyenne, Wyoming. I am pretty sure it's still in the top 10 locations in the country for climbing.
Old January 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepsoup
We have to check out Rumney!
mmmmm. Rumney.
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
TNRoverGuy
Chris H.
'97 NAS D90 ST

Registry
Well, thi is certainly a direction that I hadn't expected this thread to go, but it's great.

If anyone has any good climbing locales, please feel free to provide any information you can... including anything that would help me to locate the area on my GPS. I'll be happy to stop by any of these on the trip.

Thanks guys!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
97, console, ecu