Security Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:33 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Security Help

Ok so I just bought an HMMWV. I know, not Land Rover, but I need some insight. It is 24V, very military, with no ignition switch and a cable and padlock to lock the steering wheel. I would hate for someone to cut the cable and drive off with my new project. It is also my first diesel, and I find it strange I have to wait for the light to go off before I can crank it over. So here is my question, what is the best way to secure this truck? I thought about a keyed switch to the battery terminal, maybe adding a key ignition like on the civilian H1 (but I want to keep it true to its roots and keep the ignition rotary switch on there now). Any input greatly appreciated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:44 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Either a battery cut off or a secret kill switch.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:48 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Ok so I just bought an HMMWV. I know, not Land Rover, but I need some insight. It is 24V, very military, with no ignition switch and a cable and padlock to lock the steering wheel. I would hate for someone to cut the cable and drive off with my new project. It is also my first diesel, and I find it strange I have to wait for the light to go off before I can crank it over. So here is my question, what is the best way to secure this truck? I thought about a keyed switch to the battery terminal, maybe adding a key ignition like on the civilian H1 (but I want to keep it true to its roots and keep the ignition rotary switch on there now). Any input greatly appreciated!
Advertisement

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:03 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
It depends on your neighborhood as well. I can put $100 bill under my windshield wiper and come out and find it in the morning.

-Jeff
ahhhh how the 1% choose to amuse themselves ....
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:25 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Post a sentry on it?

There's only one thief in the Marine Corps; everyone else is just trying to get their shit back.

In all seriousness, do the battery cut off switch. Between that and the fact that the 1% (of us that have served, you know, the other 1%...) aren't likely to come across your HMMWV and reach in and play start your engines you should be good.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
Either a battery cut off or a secret kill switch.
How do you kill a diesel? Is there one wire that would do it?

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

How do you kill a diesel? Is there one wire that would do it?
There might be an electrically controlled anti-dieselling switch on the diesel pump. Basically the pump won't pump fuel if this is disabled.

Putting a hidden switch in that lime would be a good way to prevent the engine starting or running.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:49 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
ahhhh how the 1% choose to amuse themselves ....
Yes, to bad we all can't live in your NYC utopia where unicorns fart glitter.

A $100 on under my wiper blade would be as safe as in my wallet too.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
There might be an electrically controlled anti-dieselling switch on the diesel pump. Basically the pump won't pump fuel if this is disabled.

Putting a hidden switch in that lime would be a good way to prevent the engine starting or running.
Pretty sure my fuel pump is mechanical.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I vote for a keyed switch. If you leave the regular switch, anyone can still start it regardless of how you lock it, unless you go with the battery shutoff. You can also look at padlocking the transmission gear, but electronic is really the only safe bet for someone with a bolt cutter.

HMMWV's are unGodly uncomfortable rides. Is this just a toy for you? One long trip will turn your unicorn glitter fart to a shart.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:28 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...ontent=Default

I havent looked at a wiring diagram, but i bet you can leave the regular switch in place, just hide one of these so that this has to be on for the starter to trigger. First time you are out trying to holler at bitches and you lose the key you gon be mad tho. Sittin there for hours waiting on aaa to bring they big ass wrecker.

If it were me I'd just hide a John Deere mower ignition switch somewhere and have JJ cut me a decal that said EMERGENCY WHEEL NUT RELEASE or something wild. Then when you lose the key you can pop into any wal mart, lowes or Home Depot and buy one off the shelf. Doesn't even have to be cut.

If you really wanted to throw off a thief though, I've seen brake locks. You park and hold the brake pedal, lock this little sucker down, and the brakes stay on. Just don't leave it for six months like that and don't lock it down hot (do h1 brake rotors warp easy?)
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

A Diesel engine my nature will 'diesel' which means it will run on its own ... If its all mechanical there still has to be a way to stop the engine. On a landrover TDI mechanical pump there is a switch that when has a voltage applied it allows the mechanical pump to run. To stop the engine you remove voltage and engine stops.

So you are looking for the anti-dieseling mechanism and interrupt that.
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:14 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
It depends on your neighborhood as well. I can put $100 bill under my windshield wiper and come out and find it in the morning.

-Jeff
Addy Please...!
Old May 23rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Will I get a Christmas card?

-Jeff
Sure thing...an authentic Texas Card...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCAT9K3QK.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	73013  
Old May 23rd, 2013, 11:31 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

What engine is in it? If its an early 6.2 you can splice into either the ECU mounted above the driver foot well or the Glow plug controller or any part of the line in between and open the path to either pin 3 or 6. It will likely not start even on a warm day.

You could work a kill switch into the neutral safety switch on any of the engine variants.

Oscar
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:27 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Is it an automatic? (maybe they all are? I am not an expert on that truck). If not and it is a manual, you can do a search and find a hydraulic cut out switch--it actually shuts off the hydraulics to a hydraulic clutch--that was pretty clever. Personally, I would use snakes. I think that is what they used in Gone in 60 seconds. It may not worked in the film, but if I saw a snake or a rottweiler in a truck, I would move on...
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:44 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
Even on the mechanical fuel pump and mechanical injection pump motors, it's pretty common to have and electrical solenoid on the injection pump which cuts fuel flow when you turn off the ignition/power switch.

I don't know the GM6.2/6.5 motors at all but the solenoid is a pretty common item. You will find it on most of the old bosch rotary pumps used on VWs, Cummins, even on the old CAV pump on a 2.5 na rover motor which are all mechanical injection systems.
Old May 24th, 2013, 08:20 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
A Diesel engine my nature will 'diesel' which means it will run on its own ... If its all mechanical there still has to be a way to stop the engine. On a landrover TDI mechanical pump there is a switch that when has a voltage applied it allows the mechanical pump to run. To stop the engine you remove voltage and engine stops.

So you are looking for the anti-dieseling mechanism and interrupt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slorocco View Post
Even on the mechanical fuel pump and mechanical injection pump motors, it's pretty common to have and electrical solenoid on the injection pump which cuts fuel flow when you turn off the ignition/power switch.

I don't know the GM6.2/6.5 motors at all but the solenoid is a pretty common item. You will find it on most of the old bosch rotary pumps used on VWs, Cummins, even on the old CAV pump on a 2.5 na rover motor which are all mechanical injection systems.

Perfect. Thanks. I'll take a look at the Technical Manual and see if I can find it.

Old May 25th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

IMO all turbo diesels (assuming it has a turbo) should have an intake air shut-off. Add one of those and leave it closed when not driving the truck. http://www.amotusa.com/products/air-...utterfly-valve

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions