Second Row Seats, fold and tumble with headrest? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 4th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Second Row Seats, fold and tumble with headrest?

So I'm at the stage in my restoration where I'm about to tackle the rear tub.

I know I'm not the first to question what to do about the 60/40 rear seat when putting a young one in back (almost 2). I really want to retain the fold and tumble feature as I'm constantly hauling bulky loads, but want more security than the low back seats.

I had convinced myself that I was going to do the disco seat install, but I just can't bring myself to cut the tub. I thought about the newer Puma seats but I understand they require a cut of the tub as well, not to mention they are a little out of budget.

So that leaves me with only two options I can see:

1.Modifying the 60/40 seats by adding a headrest on the outer two seating positions. I know someone here has done that and I would love to see detailed pictures of this mod.

2. Getting some Exmoor Classic high backs, I understand these will fold but not tumble, at least without modification. I have found some info online suggesting that Exmoor made a seat back extension bracket that both gave more leg room, but also would allow for the high back to tumble. I can't find these brackets on their site, nor any really detailed info verifying that they will actually allow the tumble feature. Does anyone have any more info on this option?

Any other options out there, or more details on the above two options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Well I don't right away but planning for the futur. I'm putting a new (thicker) floor in and would prefer not to have to drill holes for seat brackets more than once.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There was a somewhat recent photo on here of a 60/40 with headrests installed...I almost want to say it was done by ECR?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 4th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I've seen a Suburban 3rd row successfully installed as a second row. The advantage there is the seatbelts are self contained in the seat, and can be fully removed.

-Jeff
This would be interesting, if it would tumble, any links to it being done? Did a quick google and didn't come up with much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
There was a somewhat recent photo on here of a 60/40 with headrests installed...I almost want to say it was done by ECR?
I found a picture in one of their build threads on the rear seat of a D90, but none of the actual building of the seats.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:21 PM
snowpup
Jeff Snow
1997 D90

ECR did my rear seat. they did an excellent job. IMO you really need these for young kids in the back.

I believe they used the head rest out of a D1 or D2 and weld then into the frame of the seat frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1907846_810518479000064_7114971504518108735_n.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	106444  
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpup View Post
ECR did my rear seat. they did an excellent job. IMO you really need these for young kids in the back.

I believe they used the head rest out of a D1 or D2 and weld then into the frame of the seat frame.

Is the seat back also higher than standard? Or am I imagining that?

Are the headrest removable/ height adjustable?

I'm assuming they tumble?

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:27 PM
snowpup
Jeff Snow
1997 D90

I think the seat back is the standard height. the seats fold as-is, but you need to pull the head rests to tumble. they are adjustable.
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowpup View Post
I think the seat back is the standard height. the seats fold as-is, but you need to pull the head rests to tumble. they are adjustable.

Very cool. I don't suppose you have any photos of the seats before they were recovered?

Old November 5th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Looks like a rear disco seat that is the 60% side?
Old November 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM
snowpup
Jeff Snow
1997 D90

I was wrong, the seat back is 19" to the top of the back and 27" to the top of the head rest (measured from the front of the seat bottom). The standard seats are only 15" to the top of the seat back.

Sorry, I do not have any additional photos.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats