Seats Revisited, Corbeau - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Seats Revisited, Corbeau

I need new seats for the d90 softop.
Corbeau has mounts specifically for the d90.
The 2 vinyl (since it a softop) models are the Sport and the Baja.
I need to go measure, but has anyone fitted these models?
They even have a matching bench seat that is 36" wide (may be a tight fit)
I figure I can rig some way to get to the seat boxes if needed
Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2006, 12:33 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

this is going to be my next project as well. i am intrested to see what the responses end up being ... although i remember a lot of people saying that it becomes a total pain in the ass to get to the battery. this brings me to my next question. is there a way to take leads from the battery comparment to an external point ... perhaps under the hood. this would allow me to keep my batteries under the seat, replace the seat and still have a place to jump start the ever-power-draining 90 after it has been sitting for little more than a couple days. it might not be something that can be done. if it could be, however, it would alleviate the anxiety that i have about the seat install.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

I installed a quick connect (fork lift type) plug in the winch leads at the front bumper. Now I can unplug my winch and plug a set of jumper cables up without having to open the battey compartment or the hood - but usually I'm using the Defender to jump off one of my other vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 22nd, 2006, 01:14 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If you didn't see it, http://www.defendersource.com/mod/corbeau.html

There has been some changes at Corbeau since I did my install and the people inside the organization have a lot of confusion and are not informed of their own products regarding the seat mounts which they have proven time after time to people going the Corbeau route. The last person who went through it with them, got the drivers side mount which is too high and then Corbeau denied ever making a passengers side mount despite the fact that I as well as a few others, have the mount, both the part numbers and pictures used in my article linked above was taken directly from their old global website.

Let me dig up the peoples emails where they gave feed back regarding their process and post the comments.

If you order them, order 2 of the passenger side mounts P/N: D1085T. If you talk to Corbeau USA, they will try to tell you they never made such an item but trust me, they are 100% incorrect no matter how blue in the face they try to convince you. These mounts were available when Corbeau was under one global website before they split operations between the US and Europe.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackW
I installed a quick connect (fork lift type) plug in the winch leads at the front bumper. Now I can unplug my winch and plug a set of jumper cables up without having to open the battey compartment or the hood - but usually I'm using the Defender to jump off one of my other vehicles.
This is exactly what I will be doing to my 97 too. Before I had a Warn jumper kit coming out of the seat box in the event I ever needed to jump the truck but now with setting up the 97 and replacing the winch and adding the Corbeau seats, this is a much easier solution.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

where would i find one of the forklift leads? also - how did you hook it into the winch leads? wow - you guys know how to do anything! thanks
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:08 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I thought I had seen this, just couldn't find it again. The seats I am looking at are the Sports, the mounts they list for d90 is D1084T (for passenger and driver)
Do you like the GTS? How are they wearing being in a softop? I thought about doing vinyl and that puts me into the Sports (retails $278, plus $89 for each mount)
Seems the microfiber may be like a sponge for water?
Thanks
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Unless they changed the configuration of the D1084T to match the D1085T, meaning lowered it, the height of the 1084T is unusable for anyone of normal to larger size. Even my ex wife who was 5'3" and petite build could barely steer she was so tightly in there with that mount.

Let me look up some past emails on the subject when I get home. One person went through huge headaches with Corbeau on this very issue.

Follow-up Post:

I love the GTS II seats. I never went completely topless but did wheel a lot without the windows in. They caught some mud but nothing that didnt brush off after it dried. I would have just found seat covers for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Mcmaster-Carr for the fork lift connectors: www.mcmaster.com

You need a crimping tool (or borrow one) to install the connections on the cable - my jumper cables are the 16' 2-gauge cables (also from Mcmaster - about $60) and I bought 4 of the plugs for about $13 each.

I cut the jumper cable about a foot from one end and installed a pair of the plugs there (that way I can plug the two ends of the jumper cables together and use the conventional alligator clips at each end) and I spliced another connection into the 1 gauge winch cables that I ran up to the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	connection.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	5256   Click image for larger version

Name:	cables.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	118.9 KB
ID:	5257  

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Very good idea Jack! I too would like to do different seats and this sounds like a great option for the battery dilemma!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Let me make a small note about the 2 pictures in the write up, the Defender seat mounts hole that bolt to the riser are flat, not pitched as in those pictures. The 2 pictures in the article are used to show the height difference between the passenger and drivers mount.

Anyway, here is the email exchange I received from one person in 2005 regarding the mounts and the frustration in dealing with Corbeau USA. Some content has been removed, mostly for privacy unless the person steps up and wishes to share that this was his experience:

Email 1: (Take note of whats said in the 4th paragraph)
Quote:
I have had my own problem with the mounting brackets and the seats I got from Corbeau let me explain. By the way they emphatically deny that the brackets are different and they said that your info is wrong so I emailed your link to them. I received the same brackets for both sides but I have no idea which ones they are the drivers or the passengers. They say the brackets were always the same. I don't believe that's true. I think you are correct I will tell you why.

The brackets I got have the adjusting arm to move the seat back and forth on the right side of the bracket. That means that the arm is only connected to one slider which might not be the safest way to do it. The problem is the passenger side. If the seat is pulled back a little, the arm is to long and gets in the way when the passenger gets in the car. It also sticks out and hits the passengers leg. That's because the arm is on the door side. The drivers side is a little better because it's in the inside next to the console pointing toward the door. The arm is still sort of in the way of the driver's right leg.

So I called them. They told me to just unbolt the passenger sliders and switch them. This means that the arm is now on the inside. The problem with that is that when I did that I learned real quick that the arm is now pointing toward the console. You can't get the bracket in, the arm hits the console. To fix that I would have to remove the arm from the slider and flip it over. The problem with that is that they have a fitting on there I can't get off. Some sort of rivet type bolt. BTW I could have cut the arms but if you do that when the seat is all the way up you can't get at the arms because now they 're hiding to far under the slider.

I called them back and they sort of gave me a little bit of a run around. Now you need to know and I'm sure you do that all you have to tell a Company that sells seats and brackets that re-manufacturing a seat or bracket by the customer is not safe because these devices are approved by someone to sell. There would be a lot of litigation and law suits if the seller tells the customer to start modifying the product and it fails. As soon as I said that they told me hat they have a bracket for the D90 that has a different kind of a mechanism. Like the one that comes stock in the car. A U bar sort of that is attached to both sliders and is right in the front of the bracket and doesn't get in the way of anything. They told me that it's a little bit more expensive but for my trouble they would send me the parts with directions to retrofit. In the end I sent the brackets to them and they are going to modify them. So if they fail it's their responsibility. I wonder why they don't offer that option. Maybe they are finding out slowly that there is a problem but don't want to admit it unless someone like me complains and doesn't leave them alone? Or maybe they want to get rid of their old stock and they have every intention of offering the upgraded design once they have liquidated the old design.

In the end Chris I think they have known the problem all along. They have so many different brackets for so many different cars that they probably don't consider it a priority. Let's face it how many people are installing Corbeau seats in their Defenders.

Thought I would follow up and tell you the trouble I have had and the fix.
Email 2:
Quote:
Chris, Regarding the brackets. Corbeau told me that there were never two different brackets. That's why they told me you were wrong. So I asked them if there aren't two different brackets then why are there two different part numbers. Wait till you here this. They said they use two different numbers so customers wouldn't be confused that they were getting the same item for both sides, when in fact they are anyway. Is that absurd or what. The old expression if it quacks like duck, walks like a duck and looks like a duck -It's a Duck! That's about it for that.

Bottom line I think that this Company is near incompetent. I only hope that after I have spent all this money it's worth it. When I get the brackets I will take pics and send them to you.

Regarding the battery thing. I guess you could run extension lines from the terminals on the battery down through the battery box along the undercarriage up into the engine compartment and install accessory studs there.Two problems I can think of. How to you keep the lines dry and away from water and how to prevent water from getting up into the battery box and rusting it out. Well the battery box holes can be permatexed or siliconed and the lines can be wrapped in plastic hosing or something like that. Any ideas from you would be appreciated.

So long for now,
Email 3 (Pay attention to the second sentence of this one kiddies)
Quote:
The Corbeau seats are installed so let me give you some feedback. First of all the fellow at Corbeau told me that you had inadvertently got one European version of the Bracket and one American version. One is higher then the other. I believe it's the American one. As I mentioned they told me that there really isn't a drivers and passenger side they are universal. That what I have two of those and they are high. The real problem is getting into and out of the seat. Getting over the bolster is a trick. The GT11 seats I got have even a lower bolster then the sport seats and so yours must be more difficult.
So lets put aside for a moment, the fact that I physically have, in hand, both a D1085T and a D1084T sitting 15 feet from me in my garage mounted on the bottoms of my GTS II's, waiting to go back into my D90, the facts are, after all that smoke from the US reps about there "never ever" was 2 different mounts, it turns out, not only are there 2 different mounts, but they offer a 3rd!

As I had told this person in email and I said here above, I am correct, the people at Corbeau USA are not when they say there is only one mount. The 2 different mounts were listed, not only on the European corporate parent site (which at the time was the only place Corbeau dealers would order from), but also the dealers catalogs and parts lists, as 2 different items, not too mention the pictures used in my write up came directly from Corbeau's site specifically from the link in the listing the mounts for the Defenders. I added the part numbers to the pictures for the write up, to show the differences in height between the 2 models.

I could go on and on addressing finer points from the emails but the bottom line is, if you want to use the GTS II and a few other higher seats, (2) of the European/Passenger/D1085T mounts is what you want to get.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:58 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

I have two different sets of Corbeau's in two of my trucks. I love both sets, my 80-inch has the super gnarly racing seats (TRS), complete with Schroth 5-point belts. Very comfy, very snug. My 145-inch has the more relaxed GTS II, which I actually like better.

Both sets are mounted on custom bases, I actually used some sliding rails from oh crap, now I can't remember. Maybe they were Corbeau rails...I can look.

Anyway, I live just up the street from where Corbeau's factory is. If anyone has some questions they want to put together, I can go talk to their marketing person. Actually is something I've wanted to do for a while now, but this is another good reason.

So...if you guys have questions, clarifications, part-no's, diagrams or photos you'd like clarified, send 'em on in. Otherwise you'll just still be flailing in the dark and could have had the answers to your questions from someone who was willing to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Take me up on this.

Oh, if you want some sweet power cable products, talk to Wrangler NW. They have EVERYTHING you could want/need/covet for wiring. Be careful there...I warned you. :D
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Thanks for the info, good thread.

Should I avoid the microfiber of the GTS if I have a softop (are they going to be a big sponge)
I am thinking vinyl, but then your buns cook like bacon in the sun......

Can you spoon feed me on the electrical connectors, I have looked under Forklift and electrical connectors and didn't see them??
Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:40 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawayama
Otherwise you'll just still be flailing in the dark and could have had the answers to your questions from someone who was willing to get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Take me up on this.
Well, if you can ask him, really the only questions I'd like to see answered are "If we call Corbeau and say we want to order the European version of the mount, will it in fact be the lower version of the "American" mount."?

We already know the parts exisit and are made by Corbeau, we just want to know how to properly order the correct one we want, and avoid all this fustration.

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
Should I avoid the microfiber of the GTS if I have a softop (are they going to be a big sponge) I am thinking vinyl, but then your buns cook like bacon in the sun......
I ran around a lot without the windows and door tops in and never had an issue with the Microfiber getting wet but then again, I never ran completely topless. Now if I did get caught out somewhere and heavy rain was moving in on me, and I didnt have the windows in the truck, I always carried 2 heavy 50gal plastic trash bags (you can stow them in the rear pockets on the Corbeaus) as backups to put over the seats until I got home.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 23rd, 2006, 02:08 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by btate
Thanks for the info, good thread.

Should I avoid the microfiber of the GTS if I have a softop (are they going to be a big sponge)
I am thinking vinyl, but then your buns cook like bacon in the sun......

Can you spoon feed me on the electrical connectors, I have looked under Forklift and electrical connectors and didn't see them??

i have Wet Okole seat covers over my seats - takes teh worry out of going topless!
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Corbeau says the 1084T have been modified to fit.???
I called Apex and asked if 1085T is availble, I heard in the background (she called Corbeau while I waited) that I would get 1 1085t and 1 1084t when I ordered. Then she told then I had heard the 1085t work better for both......then he says the 1084T has been modified to fit?

So I got two different message....maybe I will be the next Guinea Pig for the group
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:38 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Aside from the height differances between the D1084T and the D1085T I have seen, the adjustment levers on each model were on opposite sides. When I modified mine to match the "European/lower" model, the lever ended up being on the same side.

So did you order them? If so, I would be interested in seeing pictures of the 2 you get and seeing what the modification they did to the 1084T, hopefully the height mod.

Follow-up Post:

BTW, some people emailed me regarding what I did to modify the D1084T. Both of my mounts used the same parts, just the 1084 flips the slides and raises the slides up almost 2" on elevated rails that you can see in the pictures. All I did was basicly turn the 1084 into a 1085 by removing the riser rails, flipping the slides, drill 2 holes, added a bolt and it was a 1085.

It was slightly more detailed than that but thats the jist of it. Unfortanatly, I didnt get any pictures of the process but if you get the high-chair version of the mount I might be willing to modify it and do a write up.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

I didn't order yet......the truck is gutted at the moment. Going to get full Rhino line next week.
Then I think she deserves a new coat of Chawton White (switching from Alpine, I think)
I have blown of few bucks on other things (tuffy, 3rd brake,stereo,clutch work, SS exhaust, clutch fan, tomorrow she gets the fuel injector flush)....I hope to get her back together in the next month and make a firm decision on the seats......

I always get antsy order the wrong thing.....trying to do my homework now and pull the trigger after all the options are checked out.
I guess I can always order the mounts, take a photo for your words of wisdom. Then get the seats if it looks like they will fit.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 10:52 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawayama
I live just up the street from where Corbeau's factory is. If anyone has some questions they want to put together, I can go talk to their marketing person. Actually is something I've wanted to do for a while now, but this is another good reason.
Is the factory really close by? Where is it located?

*EDIT* Nevermind, I just found the address on their website. That's pretty cool, right near by here.
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:26 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Damn I forgot to mention the ability of Corbeau seats to survive fires. After my engine fire, the seats withstood the heat and flames that destroyed the AC and dash as well as the 4000000 gallons of water the Fire dept sprayed inside the truck. I thought for sure they were goners but the other week I pressure washed them with some soap and they are the same shape they were in before the fire. No smell but now that they are clean, some sun fading is more noticeable.

Quote:
[/size]
Old March 25th, 2006, 06:52 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

want to sell some barely cooked seats?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats