Seats - Corbeau, PRP, Stock, Other? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:23 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Seats - Corbeau, PRP, Stock, Other?

After driving the 90 around town and as much fun as it is, I realize between the rattling and the slight discomfort in my back that it's time to look for new seats.

I have recently installed a Tuffy center console and like it a lot.

After STFA's, I have a few questions:

- PRP seats - has anyone used them? It seems from the posts I read that Buck likes his PRP bench and that PRP seats are a good value for the price. It looks like there is no specific mounting hardware for the D90 but the bottoms look flat and I'm guessing they could be mounted with a little work. I like the looks of the Dailer Driver model but at 22" wide will the Tuffy still fit? Here is a link to the Daily Driver seats installed in Toyota: http://www.4wdandsportutility.com/te.../photo_18.html The Roadster seems narrower

- Corbeau - the previous posts say that the mounting brackets Corbeau provides aren't the best (1084T vs. the better 1085T) I've found the tech article about the GTS II install and they look like great seats but I was hoping someone has some experience with the Sport Seat model as it looks like it would have easier entry/exit. Again will these seats fit w/ the Tuffy? The models are 21" and 20.5". Also - one benefit over the PRP seats are the adjustable seatbacks and flip foward control.

- Stock - what can be done to get these working better? Weld the tabs? Get new cushion? I'm all for stock stuff but as I am looking to take the 90 on some road trips this summer - I still want to walk straight when I get out of the truck. I also have 3 younger kids and feel the stock back bench might not have enough support and it would be safer to go w/ one from PRP or Corbeau.

I know the post is long so short version - should I go PRP, Cobreau, modify the stock 90 seats or any other options? Looking for comfort, durability and safety for the kids.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:27 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I was a huge fan of the stock seats after I simply replaced the bottom seat cushion. $100 and a half hour of your time. Mine rattled like crazy too, and it turned out that a piece of the sliding mounting bracket was busted. Welded it back together and everything was golden.
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldscratchggf
I was a huge fan of the stock seats after I simply replaced the bottom seat cushion. $100 and a half hour of your time. Mine rattled like crazy too, and it turned out that a piece of the sliding mounting bracket was busted. Welded it back together and everything was golden.
Where did you get the cushions? I've heard RDS might be able to get them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2008, 05:41 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I believe Badger and ExmoorTrim...
Old April 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

I got them direct from Exmoor, but as Ade said, I believe Badger was stocking them too.
Old April 21st, 2008, 08:11 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

I am running the Corbeau baja RS seats with 5 point harness's. My d90 seats were just beat down and i have broken my back multiple times so i need really comfortable seats. The rs is reclinable too which is great. The bracket isnt ideal i had a local fab shop slim down the bracket/make a custom one. I am a little on the tall(6'2) side so i needed that. But I would strongly recomend the corbeaus for the comfort. They fit no problem witth a large tuffy box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1217730090_30051006_4790.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	13008   Click image for larger version

Name:	n1217730090_30052461_8660.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	13009  

Old April 21st, 2008, 08:45 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I love the GTS II seats but had I known they were going to end up more for me than my ex, I would have bought the Sports. Also they are a tad more snug in the 97 SW's auto console than they were with the 94''s manual console.

the big thing with them though is getting the correct mount which is not the one they are insistent on selling you from many peoples past experience.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Looking at your photos do you own that 95 with the funky top?
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:19 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

yeah it has a ridiculous aluminum slant back with external cage.
Old April 21st, 2008, 11:31 PM
JJB622
Jimmy Baker
1997 BRG D90

^
I think I remember seeing your truck for sale. Did you buy it in the Philly area? Low mileage and asking under 20k? Cool to see it make its way back to the D-90 source. How do you like the top?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 01:20 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Hi,
I bought and installed a set of corbeau GTS IIs in my truck a few years back - they are by far the most comfortable seats for daily driving and 4 wheeling. I made custom mounts using corbeau sliders - it worked quite nicely. I used some custom bolts with fluted knobs to hold the seat bases I built to the factory rivetnuts in the seat box. I could remove my seats in 3 minutes - reinstall in under 5 minutes. I attached a pic of my seat mounts so you could knock out a set for yourself. I did eventually go back to stock seats. I bought an exmoor refit kit - new foam and covers (with leather bolsters and ripstop center panels). I went back to the factory seat system because my wife is short - and the seat base was too long/uncomfortable for her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seatnbracket.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	13010   Click image for larger version

Name:	seatbolt.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	13011  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:16 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The big question that I always wonder when it comes to replacing the seats, is the under-seat compartments. I use the passenger side constantly, and the driver side.... well, I need to be able to access that battery.

So, how do you deal with that?

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 02:20 AM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

yeah the corbeaus are amazing i am in montana right now and i go offroading most weekends and the seats are unparalleled in there comfort i have broken my back in 3 places ( and i am only 21 do the math) anyways i cant handle a seat that isn't comfortable and they are like a lazy boy offroad. And you stick in them amazing, worth all the work to get them to fit.
not to hijack the thread but yeah I purchased it in fall church virginia and yeah it was right around 20k needs a lot of work but i could afford it...sorta and i have wanted a defender since i was 3 and saw one so it was a dream come true despite the in-numerous problems, just adds to the character and personality. I am trying to swap out the slant back for a normal soft top to make it more practical
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:00 AM
pmd
Paul Dandini
None :-(

I've got a set of Ricaro black leather seats I took out of a D90 that are in beat condition.
If anyone is looking for a comfortable rough looking set you can have these - just need to pick them up in MA.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 07:41 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I have Sparco EVO 2 seats, they hold you in very well offroad, especially the passenger who has no wheel to hang on to. The side bolsters are high and making getting in and out more difficult though. If I were older or over 200 lbs. they would be too much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seats.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	13012  
Old April 22nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
The big question that I always wonder when it comes to replacing the seats, is the under-seat compartments. I use the passenger side constantly, and the driver side.... well, I need to be able to access that battery.

-Hans
I ran Warn quick disconnect up to the front of the truck to both power the winch and to jump the truck if I needed to. I also added a Range Rover battery disconnect switch on the outside of the battery box to totally cut off power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:18 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Thanks for the many replies everyone. Good to hear the positives on the Corbeau's especially from the folks w/ banged up backs (sorry to hear). Richard - I'm guessing dirtbike, quad or snow sled accident in your case. Maybe skiing/snowboarding? I'm still aching from a healside edge to butt move at Gore before Easter.

Len - many thanks for the pic of the mounting setup. It looks like 1x1 aluminum stock and I'm guessing I could make one just like it as I did something very similiar for the Tuffy so I could use the stock threaded mounting holes. Very good to hear that they fit a Tuffy console too.

Quote:
I love the GTS II seats but had I known they were going to end up more for me than my ex, I would have bought the Sports. Also they are a tad more snug in the 97 SW's auto console than they were with the 94''s manual console
Chris - In your opinion would the Sports be more comfortable then? They do look like they would be easier to get in and out than the GTS II's. Or vice-versa?
Old April 22nd, 2008, 09:56 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans

-Hans
I could remove either seat without tools in 3 minutes - installed fluted knobs on longer bolts that allowed me to quickly, unblot and remove a seat (attached to the custom bracket / and stock corbeau sliders). It took about 5 minutes to reinstall because I had to align the holes in the mouting bracket to the rivetnuts in the seat box. It is not as quick as the factory configuration - but when it came time to load larger cargo into my truck it was a snap to completely remove the passenger seat.

I used 1" square stainless steel tubing for the main runners and standard steel 1" x 2" rectangiular tubing for the cross members and mounting locations for the corbeau sliders.
Len

Old April 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by don
Chris - In your opinion would the Sports be more comfortable then? They do look like they would be easier to get in and out than the GTS II's. Or vice-versa?
Defiantly the Sports will be easier to get in and out of since they have a lower leg bolsters than the GTS II, as you can see in the pictures below of the 2 seats. Trust me, ask any male who has sat in a GTS II in a Rover about getting out of the seat for the first time, the story is the same. You drag your jewels over the bolster getting out the first time, you remember to lift up and out from then on.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3_02.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	13025  

Quote:
[/size]
Old April 23rd, 2008, 01:26 AM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

broken back as a result of a ski racing accident in high school, and then a rock climbing (well bouldering) accident. The Baja RS dont have the particularly high sides that can make some of the seats real hard to get into and they are still a full suspension seat with a reclining option which is extremely nice. I mean i am 6'2 and my custom hard top is lower than a normal soft top and i still am ok. I did relocate my battery to the back kinda where one of the landy boxes would fit to make it easier to jump trucks since i am out in montana right now where dead batteries are a daily dilemma.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats