Seatbelt latch - Child Seat - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 12th, 2011, 04:12 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Apparently I've had two freak of nature trucks because both of mine the belts would ratchet back and lock. I just threaded the belt in the seat, used the seat's lock out and the pulled the belt out and let it ratchet back. Same as my Disco. I've used multiple brands of seats without issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 12:16 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

Rear facing bench is safest. Facing backwards while traveling is actually safest for everyone. The only reason it's not set up that way is it's not "comfortable", ie people get motion sick and don't like traveling backwards.

I'll take pics of my setup but essentially put a bench in with the back right against the backs of the front seats. Leaves some nice space in between for tools and other things. Also frees up the rear cargo space for more quick stuff. Also easier to load kids in a out as Alexandra pointed out.

The belts are bolted through various parts of the tub using appropriate hardware and supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
Yes on the car seats in a rear bench- one and two seats, forward and rear facing combos. No latch system, just the seat belts. It was 1995 D90.

Actually not too bad to put kids in and out if you open the tail gate. You can step in a lock in the infant seat or lift the toddler over and then into the seat.
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Added Rear bench to SW for the kids

I just finished replacing my jump seats with a rear facing bench in my SW. I bought the TD5 parts as noted in the attached schematic picture. The corner bracket is the key component since the stock NAS truck has no strength in the corner to bolt the seat belt to. The seat belts have the locking mechanism. I have all of the key part numbers that I can post if anyone is interested. I had to source belts and corner bracket from the UK.

The bench I traded my jumps for included the stock bench brackets. I had to make some flat plates to reinforce the bolts going through the bottom of the tub. I plan to add the car seats like the ones pictured in the last photo from my ST.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00202-20110314-1207.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	36930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00204-20110314-1208.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	36931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00203-20110314-1207.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	36932   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0654.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	36933  

Attached Images

NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 03:58 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
Rear facing bench is safest. Facing backwards while traveling is actually safest for everyone. The only reason it's not set up that way is it's not "comfortable", ie people get motion sick and don't like traveling backwards.
Your neck gets sore from looking over your shoulder while driving, too...

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2011 08:02 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
I just finished replacing my jump seats with a rear facing bench in my SW.
I'll admit I'm more familiar with my 110 than a 90, but that bench still looks like it's facing forward to me...

Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 15th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
Your neck gets sore from looking over your shoulder while driving, too...

------ Follow up post added March 15th, 2011 08:02 AM ------

I'll admit I'm more familiar with my 110 than a 90, but that bench still looks like it's facing forward to me...

Sorry, forgot a word..."rear forward facing bench"
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old March 15th, 2011, 10:28 AM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Has anyone successfully made a "latch" bracket to add on to the bench seat? I had thought about this more for ease of installation of the seat than the safety aspect. I swap the seat in and out on a regular basis between the 90 and my daily driver
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefhuf View Post
Has anyone successfully made a "latch" bracket to add on to the bench seat? I had thought about this more for ease of installation of the seat than the safety aspect. I swap the seat in and out on a regular basis between the 90 and my daily driver
Would probably have to mount to the floor to work properly and then you would need to reinforce the floor. I know one board member has adapted the rear seat belt mount on the floor but not sure that would make it any easier to switch back and forth. Don't have a clue but how does a Jeep work? Do you have to use the belts?

I can see some bracket attached to the outside sides of the seats but you still need something in the middle to attach the LATCH bracket to.
Old March 15th, 2011, 02:52 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I was thinking of a "bar" for lack of a better term that would tie in to the sides of the seat that could then have loops welded on that would accept the latch connectors from the car seat...probably more work than it is worth
Old March 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
I was thinking of a "bar" for lack of a better term that would tie in to the sides of the seat that could then have loops welded on that would accept the latch connectors from the car seat...probably more work than it is worth
That would have potential and probably be the best idea. The issue I think a lot of folks have though is the sturdiness of the seat mounts in general.

I've seen where someone added a loop to the side bracket and then installed a seat belt extender belts mounted in the floor.

Depending on where your seat is mounted in relation to the belt mount in the floor you could clip into that bracket. Assuming your LATCH tethers are long enough. Maybe you could then mount a seat belt bracket without the belts on each corner of the tub. IIRC the center belt portion in the floor actually mounts to the rear cross member. Enough of us have destroyed those belt receptacles and replaced them you could probably source a few for shipping. Add some kind of attachment point for the seat strap to the rear roll bar and I think it would be easier.

Or just buy extra seats and stop switching them back and forth- faster, probably cheaper in the long run and safe.
Old March 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
jefhuf
Jeff Huff
'94 D90 ST #655
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I currently use the center belt mount for the top tether but the latch straps will not reach. I have also considered adding another set of belts to the center mount with some loops in the end just for the center latch connection. Adding another point on each corner for the outside connectors is a good idea though.

to clarify, I don't install the seat in the 90 unless my daughter is coming along. I run my truck with just a surrey most of the time and this means the seat will get pretty dirty/wet if I leave it in there all the time.
Old March 15th, 2011, 07:56 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
to clarify, I don't install the seat in the 90 unless my daughter is coming along. I run my truck with just a surrey most of the time and this means the seat will get pretty dirty/wet if I leave it in there all the time.
Just giving you grief. I often wish I had an extra seat like I do infant base. I wouldn't be switching the seat around as much. On one hand using the seat belt itself with the lock out is quicker than the LATCH clips, at least on my forward facing seat. At least it would be cleaner if it got rained on, at least my daughter's seat would be.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seatbelt