Seatbelt latch - Child Seat - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
The Car Seat we have specifies a maximum of 14" if I remember correctly, but all seats will be different.
I found my notes, so to follow-up. Britax recommends a minimum distance of eleven inches and a maximum distance of twenty-two inches between the LATCH anchor points. If anyone cares, LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I am wondering about this:

What if I got an extra lap belt. I could remove the bolt holding the lap part of the existing seatbelt and reinstall it (may need a slightly longer one, holding two belts (the existing belt of the car, and my new lap belt). This would be tight with the door closing.....but I think it would work.

This way when an adult was riding in the seat, the child belt would be tucked behind the seat. BUT when you installed a car set, you would just pass the new belt through the child seat and fasten it to the existing seatbelt latch.

If you tighten a lap belt, does it loosen? And of course I would have to find an extra seatbelt where the male/female ends of the latch matched (unless they are all standard). Perhaps I am better just retrofitting something for the latch system like Mike did........

Opinions?

Flagg
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:22 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Flagg,

I'm not sure that the ratchet style seatbelt tighteners would work in your situation Flagg, though they might, I'd consult the documentation that comes with it. Newer car's seat belts have a feature called ALR (Automatic Locking retractor) that allows you to pull the belt all the way out, and when it goes back in locks in each ratcheted position, not allowing the belt to come back out until it is feed all the way back in, defeating the ALR. This is specifically for the purpose of securing child safety seats. You can always use the basic and time tested seat belt Locking Clip (info on how to use it), most every car seat comes with and can be picked up for about $2.99 if you can't find it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
My wife used one of these http://www.babyproofingplus.com/item2669.htm with a locking clip and you could tighten it right down. But don't tighten it too tight because it takes all the give out of the seat belt, apparently the seat belt can snap in half if you really crank it down(if you got in an accident). I also tied the latch system into the roll cage.

http://www.skjp.com/products/index.p...yTite4344&id=6
I just wanted to follow-up on these posts for anyone considering using a product like the 'Mighty Tite' you may want to give this a read and consider whether it is worth the risk or not...

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/SeatBeltTite.aspx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 14th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Hey,

I am bringing this tread back! I have done some looking arround and have some questions......ideas.....This whole think is depressing me a bit - BUT that will only make it greater when I get it to WORK!

1) I can not believe I can not get the existing seatbelt to work - what did people do back before 1995 when there was no self retractor lock thingy? Is there anything obvious I am missing?

2) There is the idea mentioned above - of the extra lap belt. I could remove the bolt holding the lap part of the existing seatbelt and reinstall it (may need a slightly longer one, holding two belts (the existing belt of the car, and my new lap belt). This would be tight with the door closing.....but I think it would work. SO - today I found out that stores like 'Advanced auto parts' or 'Track auto' do not sell seatbelts - they say I have to go through the manufacturer. And are all the hitch points standard? Where could I pick up a lap belt to try?

3) Mike's at ECR's idea is good - but I have to figure out how to make the anchors for the latch system.

4) I was also thinking of putting a pair of cable loops on the rool bar behind the seats. Then some connector to the cable for the latch system to hook into. I could get a strong connector and cable - but how strong is that roll bar? Is the roll bar the weak like there? Could 1/4" cable cut right through it during an accident?

Full of questions - no answers yet..........

Flagg
Old March 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Bert, I think #2 will work fine. You can buy generic retractable seat belts that will do the auto locking/retract after full extension.

Something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/seatb...spagenameZWDVW

But make sure the male part will work with your existing latch on the inner side or you'll need two latches as well. I know disco belts do the retract/lock thing, but I don't know if there were lap versions (or the shoulder ones can retract far enough in to work in this application. Try Will Tillery for them.

charles
Old March 17th, 2008, 11:58 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Hey,

I am bringing this tread back! I have done some looking arround and have some questions......ideas.....This whole think is depressing me a bit - BUT that will only make it greater when I get it to WORK!

1) I can not believe I can not get the existing seatbelt to work - what did people do back before 1995 when there was no self retractor lock thingy? Is there anything obvious I am missing?

Full of questions - no answers yet..........

Flagg
Hey Flagg,

People used simple locking clips (more info). I'm pretty sure I mentioned them in an earlier post. Many of the better seats now have built in 'belt lock-offs' as well, that allow you to 'lock' the belt in position. Before you try adding an additional lap belt, I'd recommend trying a locking clip. They can be had for about $3 just about anywhere that sells baby seats, or in multiple places online ...

I think this solution would be safer than the added lap belt, and much safer than the cable idea around the roll bar (even if the roll bar is strong enough, I would worry about the cables slipping out of position and 'loosening' from the original installation.

Old August 12th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Locking Clip

Hi,

I am bringing this tread back to life!

I just want everyone to know that I figured out how to get a childseat in the Defender, and took my son for a ride. I attached some pictures! Thanks for everyone's advice. Here is what I ended up doing:

1) Got one of those locking clips

2) Took the seat out and replaced with a much cheaper chair cushion that I did not mind really putting my weight into to, in order to really get the seat tight. Thought my 15 year old factory seat would be ruined for sure........

It ended up really tight. I was plenty happy with it. My son loved it. He is 2.5 years old and has wanted to go for a ride for a long time. It is the only car he has ever sat in the front seat of (no airbags). He could see out the windows real good. We each had our own cup holders. When we got home, I asked him if he liked riding in the Defender. He replied in his child voice - "Yes - it was VERY nice......"

Flagg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	901.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	21041   Click image for larger version

Name:	902.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	21042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	903.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	21043   Click image for larger version

Name:	904.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	21044  

Old August 13th, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Great timing to bring it back up too. I had forgotten about this thread, and have been dealing with the same issues.

As to the locking clip..... so THAT'S what that thing is. We got the car carrier from my wife's sister, and that thing is clipped into a storage spot on the bottom, never knew what it was for. The normal car to put the seat in has the latch thingies.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old August 13th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I am sure the locking clip can not be as safe as the latches in the seat........but I was pretty happy with it.

Cars now days have seatbelts that if you pull the shoulder belt all the way out, it will start ratcheting back in to become very tight on a seat. The locking clip helps make a childseat work in an older car where the seatbelts do not do this. It attaches the lap belt, to the shoulder belt. It is hard to describe what it does - but easy to figure out once you try it.

A friend showed me how it worked in his old VW Jetta. I got one for a few bucks at a baby store.

It takes a while to get it adjusted, but it worked better then I thought it would. The seat was really pretty tight.

Flagg
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:57 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
I am sure the locking clip can not be as safe as the latches in the seat........but I was pretty happy with it.

Cars now days have seatbelts that if you pull the shoulder belt all the way out, it will start ratcheting back in to become very tight on a seat. The locking clip helps make a childseat work in an older car where the seatbelts do not do this. It attaches the lap belt, to the shoulder belt. It is hard to describe what it does - but easy to figure out once you try it.

A friend showed me how it worked in his old VW Jetta. I got one for a few bucks at a baby store.

It takes a while to get it adjusted, but it worked better then I thought it would. The seat was really pretty tight.

Flagg
Hey Flagg,

The Britax Boulevard is an excellent seat (our choice for our daughter as well). However, it was not designed for use with a locking clip, and If I recall correctly the manual specifically says not to use one (can't find my soft copy of it at the moment). However Britax did take into account vehicles that do not have ALR (Automatic Locking Retractors) seat belts. Britax seats have
Built in Lock-Off's that eliminate the need for the locking clips. Check out the linked article, and check your seats owners manual..

Old August 14th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Scott,

Thanks.......I will have to look closer at the manual. I know we have it in my files.

I have always used this built in Lock-off wether latch, locking clip, or ALR seat belts. I never thought it looks like the total solution to me. The article you referred me too even says it could break in a crash....all thought it says the seatbelt will take over because it will lock in a crash.

I am not sure why a locking clip (which would not break in a crash) would not be advised. Boy - it really held the seat tight - far tighter then I think I could have gotten with just the built in lock-off. It is hard to believe that I can not use BOTH like I did.

I got the locking-clip set, then clamped down the built in lock off.....

Flagg
Old August 14th, 2009, 09:49 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Scott,

Thanks.......I will have to look closer at the manual. I know we have it in my files.

I have always used this built in Lock-off wether latch, locking clip, or ALR seat belts. I never thought it looks like the total solution to me. The article you referred me too even says it could break in a crash....all thought it says the seatbelt will take over because it will lock in a crash.

I am not sure why a locking clip (which would not break in a crash) would not be advised. Boy - it really held the seat tight - far tighter then I think I could have gotten with just the built in lock-off. It is hard to believe that I can not use BOTH like I did.

I got the locking-clip set, then clamped down the built in lock off.....

Flagg

I know, there are alot of strange things related to crash dynamics that don't seem logical. Another one is that if you use the latch connectors, you are NOT to use a seatbelt as well. It has to do with the way the loads transfer during the 'ride down' period of the crash (when the energy is dissipated). If you want to do some reading, I can supply the links..

Old August 14th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Scott,

Well at least I do that one right! We only have one car with the latches - but when we put a car seat in that car I do not use the belts.

For now the seat is back out of the defender. But I felt pretty confident the way it was in. Next time I put it in I will try just using the Built in Lock off - to see - but I don't feel like it is going to be very tight.

Have you done this in your D90?

Flagg
Old September 1st, 2009, 05:52 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Just to bring this one up again, since I found this one out the hard way. If you get a seat that doesn't recline at all, it won't work in the Defenders. The front of the seat base is a lot higher than the back, and not all car seats can compensate for this. Safety 1st seats, for instance, won't work.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:38 PM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

Perhaps bucking the trend of selling a d90 when the kids come, my wife is due with our second any day now and i am in the market for my first d90. Not great timing i know, but i am determined to press ahead. Found this thread really helpful, but a couple questions for anyone still trying to solve this:

1. Has anyone successfully gotten car seats to work in a rear bench and how? If you've gotten that far, have you ever tried two car seats on the rear bench?
2. Has any successfully installed a latch system and how? I saw a J**p with latches welded behind the rear bench and car seats hooked in. Seemed like a relatively easy solution, but it was in a parking lot and i didn't inspect closely enough.

Many thanks
Old March 12th, 2011, 12:54 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Yes on the car seats in a rear bench- one and two seats, forward and rear facing combos. No latch system, just the seat belts. It was 1995 D90.

Actually not too bad to put kids in and out if you open the tail gate. You can step in a lock in the infant seat or lift the toddler over and then into the seat.
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:07 PM
apierce
Adam Pierce
'95 D90 ST #2395

Did you custom a latch system, use the aftermarket lock-offs, or just the stock seatbelts with no ratchet?
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:30 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Remember when some of us grew up there were no real child seats, no one wore seat belts and that SIIA had a nice metal dash.
X2. I don't think any of our cars had seat belts until I was old enough to drive. When I was about 4, I was riding with my mom in her Corvair and we were rear-ended by a pickup as we turned off the highway into our driveway. Mashed the 'vair between a phone pole and the pickup; we all walked away and no lawsuits were filed.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Remember when some of us grew up there were no real child seats, no one wore seat belts and that SIIA had a nice metal dash.
And all the other cars were just as slow and people didn't drive like maniacs.
Old March 12th, 2011, 02:06 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by apierce
Did you custom a latch system, use the aftermarket lock-offs, or just the stock seatbelts with no ratchet?
I have a britax in my truck and it works fine on the bench seat. Nothing really to it. Just use the lock off on the shoulder harness and you are good to go. You should be fine with two in the back no issue. As Alex said it is easy to get them in from the tailgate. Only thing about that is if your windows are in it sucks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seatbelt