Seat up-grade - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 28th, 2004, 07:20 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

Question Seat up-grade

Any of you guys replaced your stock seats w/ aftermarket? I am starting to really wear out my driver side cushion and wanted to look into something else. Also for you guys living by the coast, what have you done to protect your d-90 from the elements, my jump seats in the back have begun to have the black paint peel and start to rust, any input would be greatly appreciated! thanx
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:15 PM
gearco
James T. Johnston, Jr.
1986 D110

the key to picking a replacement seat is the thickness of the bottom of the seat. can't be too thick or there won't be enough room between the steering wheel and your legs. if memory serves, the thickness can't exceed 4 inches. i have a set of Porsche 993 grey leather seats that really work well. fashioning seat brackets, however, is a chore because you need to take into consideration the slope of the seat vis-a-vis the slope of the seat box. need to have a good welder, metal cutting tools, and 8 grade bolts to attach the seat and frame to the seat box; be sure to reinforce the seat boxes around the bolt holes to keep them from pulling through when force is applied. i used some good washers and flat bar steel.

one problem with the Porsche seats is that they have high edges making entry and exit more difficult. but once you are in the seat they are great. you might want to pick a seat with edges the same height as the center of the seat. good luck.
Old June 28th, 2004, 09:41 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I replace mine with Corbeau GTS II seats http://www.defendersource.com/mod/corbeau.html. If I was going to do it again I would go with "fat bastard" version of the GTS II which has slightly wider thigh support spacing for us more portly fellows. Note the advice in the write up regarding their "drivers side" mount. It takes the seat way to high. The GTS II also have the high thigh supports which you have to practice getting up and over for getting in and out or you will be talking squeeky for a bit if you know what I mean.

Ron Peppard replaced his with heated Bravada seats http://www.defendersource.com/mod/bravada/index.html

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 28th, 2004, 09:50 PM
jperakis
James Perakis
94 ST

hey Ben,
the stuff you need is rustoleum. it works great preventing rust and will actually eliminate most any surface rust you have. Prep usually takes a while as you use it just like any spray paint but the results are well worth it. I've finished the roll cage and front and rear bumpers of my truck with it and it looks great, and theoretically they will never rust.

As for front seat replacement, if cost were no issue i would go with those full heated seats that i've seen offered. I would also be interested if any of the corbeau seats could fit.
The only aftermarket seat ive actually seen installed on a 90 is whichever ones SG sells. Those looked pretty good, and also allow you to maintain the use of your underseat storage/ batteries.
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperakis
... I would also be interested if any of the corbeau seats could fit.
Fit just fine as long as you just buy 2 passanger mounts. Check my post above for pictures of mine installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old June 28th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Corbeau just announced a new chair -- Legacy. Looks just right for Defenders. A set is on my wish list. Low side bolsters and wide enough for a 38 waist...

http://www.corbeau.com/products/legacy/legacy.shtml
Old June 29th, 2004, 08:29 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Those actually look pretty nice (the Legacy that is). I've seen and sat in Chris's Courbeau's and they are nice too.

You can also get direct replacement seats from www.exmoortrim.co.uk. A few of us just imported some replacement kits from them for our seats. I chose the black LR logo fabric down the center with black vinyl on the outsides. Comes with foam and all the stuff you need to do the replacement.

Or if you don't want to deal with importing them yourself, Atlantic British stateside sells the same seats, at a higher cost.

And finally, you can always contact Badger Coachworks to see if they'll redo your seat base for you outright. www.badgercoachworks.com
Old June 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

Thanx for all the info. guys, after just a picture of that new Legacy, I think that will be the way I go .
Thanx for the rust tips as well guys!
Old June 29th, 2004, 01:40 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Exmoor Trim Seats

My current SWB project currently has no seats (I'm still a ways off from driving it) and am leaning towards either the TKE1 or TKM2 model Exmoor Trim seats (http://www.exmoortrim.co.uk).
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:53 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

On that note, what do you guys feel is a fair price to ask for my old seats? Passenger side- perfect, looks brand new, drivers- not so much... 1" tear in back and wear on left side of cushion.. thoughts?
Old June 29th, 2004, 04:58 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I was just talking to someone who said their buddy paid $200 for a set.

Quote:
[/size]
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:18 PM
tim
Timothy Homewood
Defender 50th going topless

Hi Guys,

Just a note from this side if ther pond..Exmoor Trim has just annonced a 'limited edition interior package' for 90s and 110s. It is in a 'G4 style trim' good news for soft top as it vynil, however it is matt and textured...Kit includes Front seats with seat heaters and electric lumbar supports, rear inward facing tip-ups with seat heaters, matching cubby box, aluminium dash kit and knobs, and floor mats....a bit much for me (but the fabric is great)..and I have no idea of cost.
Old June 30th, 2004, 03:56 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I like the TKM1's as well, Does anyone sell that style seat in the U.S. ?
The cushioning looks pretty good.

Quick question about the CORBEAU's... They look really nice BUT can you take the 'seat' part off in order to get to the battery/ECU ? Or do you have to rip the whole thing apart ?

very curious...

thanks fella's

Nicholas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:30 PM
Craigd
Craig Dickson
1995 D90 Red Soft top

Registry
When my drivers side base cushion wore out I switched the passenger seat base over. Takes 30 seconds and I got a brand new seat base for nothing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions