Seat retrim and heaters - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:02 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Seat retrim and heaters

I am prepping to retrim my front seats with new Exmoor trim kits. I have the seat heater kit as well (the one RN sells, by Waeco). For those who have done this: how did you route the seat heater wires out of the seat base? Did you go straight out the back? Or did you go down through the hole in the center of the foam and out the bottom? Thanks.
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:22 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
I went out the back, since my replacement foam didn't have the hole (aftermarket foam).
It worked well, but just be sure to be careful not to pinch any wires, when moving the seats on rails. I wrapped the exposed wires w/some of the plastic electrical wire covers from a local parts place to help keep the individaul wires from being pinched...
Old December 7th, 2012, 04:35 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Jeff - when you do this project, could you take some pics, maybe take some notes and put it in the small projects section? This is on my (rather lengthy) list of to-do's and there are probably quite a few of us who would like something to refer back to when the time comes.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2012, 05:03 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Thanks Sonny. Good advice. Yes - I'll take pictures as I work through the seats this weekend and post them up.
Old December 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferson View Post
Thanks Sonny. Good advice. Yes - I'll take pictures as I work through the seats this weekend and post them up.
You're welcome. I'm not sure how much you've looked at the wiring harness yet, but you'll probably end up w/ quite a bit of excess wires to route somewhere (i didn't want to cut and resplice mine). Our 110 has the factory center box and it has a recessed area underneath...I was able to bundle the excess wires/relay/fuse block and place it in the recess underneath. This allowed the hot to go through the floor, underneath the console and then straight into the battery box opening nearby. I used an ignition hot on the radio to power the relay and placed the ground on one of the mounting screws for the console...It made for a pretty clean install. I'll take a couple of photos this weekend of the button placement and what wiring you can see, to maybe help out some.
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:04 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I am prepping to retrim my front seats with new Exmoor trim kits. I have the seat heater kit as well (the one RN sells, by Waeco). For those who have done this: how did you route the seat heater wires out of the seat base? Did you go straight out the back? Or did you go down through the hole in the center of the foam and out the bottom? Thanks.
Do it at the back ... Will give you more length if you want to just access the underwear storage without having to disconnect the seat base every time.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:06 AM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Check out the Exmoor site. They have tutorial videos that run you through the installation. I'm sure they show how to run the wires the right way
Old December 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Do it at the back ... Will give you more length if you want to just access the underwear storage
underwear storage ? Is this were you store the panties thrown @ your truck while traversing the streets of Manhattan ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:18 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

I re-trimmed the seat bases last night. I followed the Exmoor videos on Youtube and it was fairly easy. The only modification I would suggest is waiting longer than ten minutes to allow the glue to set before stretching the re-trims over the foam.

For the seat heaters, I just routed the wires down through the foam and out the back between the foam and the seat base. Pictures below. The heater pad is affixed to the foam with double sided tape. Once in place I just followed the instructions. There's not much to it. Test the heaters before breaking out the glue!

I'll wire them up in a similar fashion to Sonny - keeping everything under the console, and powering the relay from the radio ignition fed hot. On to the seat backs this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	62436   Click image for larger version

Name:	seat 2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	62437  

Name:	seat 3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	62438  
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:31 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
What kind of switches came with this kit? Is it a 3-position (off-low-high) or just on/off?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:33 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

The little round generic three position switches. Hi Lo and Off.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
The little round generic three position switches. Hi Lo and Off.
Are there relays in the mix with these too I'd assume? I wired mine up with relays, but only with a single on/off switch....haven't plugged them in yet, but maybe plan to work on this soon to finish them up.

If you need those weatherpaks let me know...I should have just given you some yesterday.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2012, 09:38 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Yes - the kit includes a wiring harness that includes a relay, switches, and an ample run of wire. You basically just need to hook up power and ground.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:49 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Yes - the kit includes a wiring harness that includes a relay, switches, and an ample run of wire. You basically just need to hook up power and ground.
So - just curious - how do the seat heating elements know if it's high or low?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old December 9th, 2012, 10:12 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
The switch has a high and a low setting
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:13 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Great question. I am not sure - it looks like there are two seperate runs of wire through the heating elements (one lo, and one hi) and I am guessing that they have different resistance. There are appears to be a little thermostat in the harness as well to monitor/regulate the temperature.
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:09 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Here's how I mounted the switches in ours, and routed the wires up through the console...it kept it looking pretty clean, but does use up some of the storage space inside...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3337111435.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	62483   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-729038032.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	62484  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
heater