seat rails? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 8th, 2007, 09:21 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
seat rails?

Does anyone know some options for seatrails? I've read the post on the Corbeau's, was wondering peoples opions on those and other possibilities. Cobra makes something for flat mounting situations, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried them?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2007, 12:25 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

I believe it's expedition exchange that sells a pair. They are raised an inch and allow the seat to move back another inch. I have them in my truck. Little getting used to at first but after 200 miles or so you get really used to them. Now sitting in a regular defender feels cramped and strange.
Old December 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Rob
rob
1997 D90

ECR has great ones. Ive had them for about 5 years. Gives you about 2 inches back and raises it a bit - much more comfortable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

Ditto on the ECR ones; what I use. Also MUD UK has them.
Old December 10th, 2007, 01:58 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Check out my seat risers - they are available with custom height and rear offset. I have made several sets for forum members. On my truck I have a driver side with a 2" rise - while my passenger seat has a 1.5" rise and 2" rearward offset. Here is the url. Most want them painted black - I just left mine brushed stainless steel.

http://www.americandirtroads.com/catseatrisers.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:44 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Ditto on the ECR ones; what I use. Also MUD UK has them.
Glad you like them guys, but due to insurance we had to stop production. Way too much liability in altering the factory seat mounts in the case of an accident. Our insurance said stop making them or they drop our policy.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old December 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Our insurance said stop making them or they drop our policy.
Good lord.
Old December 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Aftermarket Seats

I'm actually thinking about going with after market seats.
Old December 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Actually I'm not surprised. While we all know that these things are pretty simple, all the insurance companies know is that vehicle was crash tested with the original seat monut and complies with FMVSS using those mounts.

I have a friend who was the only survivor of 3 occupants of a minivan middle bench seat that came off its moorings. everyone else in the seats that didn't come out only suffered minor injuries, bumps and scrapes. the manufacturer paid him close to $1M US for his injuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Good lord.
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I have a writeup on what I did for Saab 9000 seats at http://www.clarke.ca/SaabSeatsInLandRover110.php . If you get seats with flat mounting it's quite easy to set them up in the truck. I used 1/4" metal bar or something like that to mount the seats, and it's definitely stronger than the stock mounting.

Since doing that writeup I redrilled some holes on the seats and lowered them an inch or so more. They're very comfortable but I admit that I still haven't hooked up the seat heaters

- Andrew.
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:21 AM
texasdefender110
T.J. D...
NAS Defender 110

Registry
I've been meaning to make a set of the seat relocation brackets that are in the custom mod section.
The size of the steel is larger than what is sold at home depot or tractor supply. Haven't made it to the steel yard just yet to check for scraps.
Old December 18th, 2007, 11:46 PM
gravitysucks
Andy
94 D90

Registry
I had a set of the raised seat rails on my D90, didn't like them so I took them off. They were put on by the original owner who was very short, I'm 6' 4" and didn't like to have to bend down to look out the window. Five years and several cross country trips later, I can honestly say I don't miss them. I still have them somewhere...
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
Actually I'm not surprised. While we all know that these things are pretty simple, all the insurance companies know is that vehicle was crash tested with the original seat monut and complies with FMVSS using those mounts.

I have a friend who was the only survivor of 3 occupants of a minivan middle bench seat that came off its moorings. everyone else in the seats that didn't come out only suffered minor injuries, bumps and scrapes. the manufacturer paid him close to $1M US for his injuries.

I work for an underwriter. Probably not the case at all. Most policies have endorsements that exclude all sorts of things. One of the most popular is original manufacture auto parts, which is what the seat rails are. Mike's other parts, such as the brake tubing and lights are not orginal manufacture and would therefore most likely be covered unless otherwise endorsed. The only thing that could impact Mike specifically is his past claim history on any prior or in force policy. Generally speaking of course.

I am assuming ECR has a G/L policy found in the admitted market and from what Mike has posted, a P/L policy is not needed or wanted.

EwS

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions