Seat choices revisited - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2013, 08:46 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Seat choices revisited

I replaced my stock seat with a Super Seat for a j**p years ago, but now am looking for other options.

What I am considering is:
Mastercraft Baja RS
Mastercraft Baja XD (1" wider than the RS otherwise the same)
PRP Enduro
Corbeau Baja RS
Corbeau Baja XRS

Any other choices?

Since I drive the truck from FL to CO, WY, UT etc and back, many trips have been 6k miles so I need something really comfortable yet great offroad.

I like the idea of the suspension seat as Ive hit my head on the roll bar more than once when bounced out of the seat even with my seatbelt on.

I am only 5'11", but have longer legs and thick quads, so typically a larger seatbase is preferred. The stock seats killed my back from day one even though new.

Im really not interested in the Exmoor ones at all.

So does anyone know the difference between the different "Baja" seats?
There are price differences and not sure why.

I do like the adjustable head rest option on the MC ones.
I also like being able to choose color combos, so it can be green and black, which the PRP and MC ones can be.
Those models also have a heated seat option which would come in handy
But the Corbeau XRS has memory foam which sounds comfy, but no seat heaters. Not sure one could be added with memory foam?

Anyone know if the XD or XRS models will fit a 90 and still recline a bit?
The MC XD must be the largest as it says it will accommodate a 44" waist while the others say 42". Being able to move a bit would be nice. Its also made for the Ford Super Duty Trucks.

I have a '97 ST but no console and no plan to fit one. Would rather a small center seat down the road

In all I need the best combo seat with a preference towards comfort for those looooong drives.

So whats the opinion on which is the best seat?
The best value?
Which will last the longest?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2013, 09:29 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
I have read that the Mastercraft and PRP seats are the best quality and are comfortable/supportive. For a while I was looking at getting them myself.

But I have been very happy with the Corbeau Sport Seats. Yes, I have to pull the whole seat out to check the battery and I needed to make brackets for them to fit, and it's a little hard to get in and out of them but they fit great and don't kill my back. I had just gotten a new set of bottoms for a stock pair of seats in my NAS rig before I sold it. They were nice and all but I like the Corbeaus a lot better. Size wise, I am just over 6 foot and 215 lbs and bigger thighs from years of BMX and hockey.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 11:51 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

I don't really have a whole lot to contribute here, but I put Saab 900 seats in mine about 6 years ago: http://clarke.ca/post.cfm/saab-9000-seats-in-land-rover . It's gone well, but I have two issues with this arrangement:

1. I can't easily reach the batteries. The seat is easy to remove (4 screws) but it's still a pain.

2. The seat sits a bit higher than stock. I'm 6'4 which means all I really see out of the window is the edge of the road and I miss all the scenery.

Because of this, I've been thinking of buying Exmoor or Puma seats when I have the budget. That's why I'm wondering why you aren't considering those. I'm not trying to change your mind, but to understand your rationale for my own decision making.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:22 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Well I really dont like the size of the seat overall compared to the other choices.
If I wanted a seat with a removable base, Cobra seats makes a Lemans LR which is made for the Defender.
The PRP, MC and Corbeau are all suspension seats which absorb more shock offroad, the Cobra isnt. And the Corbeau also has memory foam as well.
Actually I had the Super Seat for a j**p for years and that is allot like the Cobra just no removable base.
I plan to make the front of the seat mount have a removable pin and the rear pivot so I can lean the seat forward then remove the pin and pivot the whole seat back allowing me access to the compartment if needed.
I had the SS in there and never needed to access the battery.

The other benefit of the Corbeau seats is that they make a mount to fit the Defender.

They run about $900/pair vs $1200 for the MC ones.

I think the Exmoor etc are grossly overpriced for just a standard seat. The Cobras would be a better choice at much less money, but Id prefer a suspension seat.
Old August 22nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Interesting, thanks. Those Cobra LeMans seats run 2,090 for a heated/lumbar/leather pair, so they're hardly a bargain compared to Exmoor. I don't know anything about the quality though, so I admit they they may be more expensive and still be a "bargain".
Old August 22nd, 2013, 02:06 PM
RoverC
Cliff
1997 D90 ST

Well I wasnt comparing them with leather, lumbar or heat.
Im sure that greatly increases the cost.
Heat alone is typically $200/seat
And leather? That has to be allot.
But neither the Cobra nor the Exmoor are suspension seats, so I really dont want either.

I am looking at vinyl or fabric or a combo.

I think Cobra also made the SVX LR seats, though no idea the cost on them.

Hopefully Corbeau, MC and PRP will be at the Truckfest in Orlando this weekend, as they typically are 20% off at events like that.
Just would need to decide before Sat.

I looked up Cobra seats here in the USA and the Lemans retails for $749 each and I emailed them about the LR version just to see what they cost or can get them for. Im sure you can find them cheaper than that.
Old June 27th, 2015, 02:36 PM
dangermouse
martin norris
puma 2014

corbeau seats

Its 2015 fella did you go for the suspension seat and did they fit and were they any good?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions