Defender Source Forum banner

Seat belt wound up all the way

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  LRDMOD 
#1 ·
So I bought a classic and PO removed the seat belts from the rear and let them wind all the way up to the wheel well mounting points. The inertia switch is of course activated and cant rewind. Any ideas or SOL and just replace? Thanks!

#4 ·
I couldnt at first but need to try again in the daylight..

Sometimes gravity alone will activate the lock like if the vehicle were on it's side or upside down. Have you tried holding it in the same orientation as it would be when in the vehicle?
I did try, it seems that the seat belt is so wound around itself that it cant slide in the housing.

It may require some persuasion...

#5 · (Edited)
See below

I just installed new belts this weekend for my bench seat as both of the rollers on the old ones broke and were basically useless.

With seatbelts, when you pull them very fast (simulate crash) the spool moves forward a little which forces a metal w-shaped piece above the spool to "lock" into the belt that is exiting the mechanism, stopping anymore forward movement of a passenger. When the belts are fully rolled up/spooled, it has the same effect on that metal spring piece, as it pushes upward on it which lock belt from exiting any further.

What you have to do is unroll the belt spool from the bottom, as the actual spool is not locked, but the belt exiting the seatbelt mechanism is. Once you get about 2-3 feet unspooled, the metal piece should loosen off of the belt and it should now work properly. Don't let the belt roll all the way back in and this should not happen again.

#8 ·
Rear belts must be at an angle or else the dog clutch won't disengage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
All you had to do was hold it at the same angle as if it were mounted in the truck and it will unwind no fuss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.