Searching idle, replaced stepper now what? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 15th, 2006, 02:39 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Searching idle, replaced stepper now what?

94 d90, the idle was searching up and down and would cut off at a stop.
I did the Napa Stepper motor/idle control valve swap, and I was putting in a dual optima, so the battery was disconnected for about 10 minutes.

The idle stills hunts, previous posts said to "wait awhile" or "reset the computer"

How long is awhile, and is it good to leave the car idling for it to figure it out, or drive it.
Also what's the procedure for resetting the 94 computer??
Any other things to try or do I just need to be patient and let it heal itself??
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have you updated your ignition module?
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:08 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

no,
Please elaborate....at this point I am ready to replace about anything...just to have less things to worry with...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 15th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

94s for some reason (and just defenders, not 3.9RRCs for some reason) eat the original ignition module that was mounted to the side of the distributor. There's a factory retrofit -- stc 1856 if I remember -- that repositions it next to the coil. As its dying it can cause strange running issues like a hunting idle, intermittant cutoff, etc. I spent a lot of time and $ trying to diagnose it on mine, turned out a bum replacement alternator was frying them. In any case, you can try the factory reposition kit or make your own using a replacement module and a home-made loom. The kit supplies a little bracket that would be dead simple to make yourself. First step is to check and see if you have original module.

Feel free to PM or email with any questions.

Tony

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, idle